Must be a record baby at 72?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must be a record baby at 72?

I have just looked through some hints and was amused to see this lady born in 1793 married in 1814 and had her last child in 1865, why do people do that ?and it looks like quite a few have copied her.

LOL Val, I can beat that hands down!

My Margaret Holden had a baby when she was 69. Not as old as yours, I know - but my Margaret Holden had been dead for 5 years when she had this baby!

OC

Comment

Some people seem to accept all the hints without a thought! They are only supposed to be 'hints' after all and one is required to actually look at the record before being able to attach it. I've seen loads of trees with lists of conflicting records such as having children in the USA and England at exactly the same moment. Quite a feat!! LOL
      Anne

Comment

lol OC and I am guessing people copied that to their tree ? Anne isn't it odd that people dont check it out?

Comment

Very odd! Then I've seen people say "Ancestry tells me ..... " Well, NO they don't its only a suggestion!
          Anne

Comment

Um ..... but ...... these are real ones.

A 70-year-old woman in India has become the world’s oldest known mother, giving birth to her first child after years of IVF treatment in a case that has highlighted growing instances of elderly

Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

The MailOnLine had the same story earlier this week about the Indian lady of 70 ........... but they seemed to give another reason for the IVF treatment to The Times

It seems that there is likely to be a nasty family battle about a major inheritance if they die without issue. So she had a baby
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Yes I did see that in the papers Caroline think she must be mad ,I dont agree with having a baby when so old its selfish.:(
                Poor excuse for having one isnt it Sylvia
                Last edited by Guest; 14-05-16, 23:52.

Comment

I've seen even worse. I've seen parents born 80 years after their child was born. You would think the software would have some kind of minimum logic requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                    I have just looked through some hints and was amused to see this lady born in 1793 married in 1814 and had her last child in 1865, why do people do that ?and it looks like quite a few have copied her.
                    I use hints quite a lot to help me verify what I have found, but I always check them out and either accept them or set them to ignore!.. What I don't 'get' is the 'story' mode within the trees, WHY? what is the point?
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

There is an option to turn that off, Julie.
                      Anne

Comment

Originally posted by TreeFlyingSquirrel View Post
                        I've seen even worse. I've seen parents born 80 years after their child was born. You would think the software would have some kind of minimum logic requirement.
                        I use Family Historian which does indeed have a logic requirement in that a message comes up pointing out I am entering an event after the death date. It also flags if a birth date is beyond the expected range so I can then double check. It does the same for late marriages.
                        Last edited by JudithM; 15-05-16, 07:20.
                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                          There is an option to turn that off, Julie.
                          Anne
                          maybe so Anne, but why have it in the first place?
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Some people download whole trees of thousands from others and then upload all the data to their own tree. This can result in the data being corrupted and muddled, but as they've added so many people all at once, they don't even attempt to check any of it for errors.
                            Most of us, however, would add one person at a time, checking all the events as we do so.

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I've recently uploaded a tree to Ancestry for reasons of preservation in the future. I'm finding the hints very useful as I check through EVERY PERSON on the tree to attach them to records. The hints save me the time of searching for each census or PR entry. HOWEVER I do still look at every census or other image I attach to make sure its the one I did already find when I was doing the original research.

So far I have been doing this for 6 months on a nearly daily basis and have reached 'P' in the alphabetical list. I still have two more trees to do in this way so it should keep me off the streets for a while!

Sometimes, annoyingly, I am working too quickly for Ancestry to produce any hints .... then I have to find them myself and then later the hint comes up! Well, thanks, I've already got it! LOL
                              Anne

Comment

I also use the hints to mainly add any census records I may not have ,but most of the time they dont have them either:(

Comment

:D

One of the public trees I've come across on Ancestry had my grandmother married to her father-in-law, who died about twenty years before she married his son. When I messaged the tree owner to point out the marriage was incorrect, she replied saying that she was fairly adamant it was indeed correct, as an Ancestry hint had pointed towards the marriage being on no less than three other public family trees. I mentioned this to my mother, who found it quite amusing. When I replied to the lady whose tree it was and dryly explained that my mother would probably have remembered this occurrence, she never replied. The last time I checked, the tree hadn't been corrected.
                                  Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
                                  Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
                                  Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Comment

Working...
                                  X