PDA

View Full Version : Messed up FTM tree.

jood
13-05-16, 02:18
Somehow I have got the parents of the family (Elizabeth Fisher) as one name (Charles Prior) when the fathers name should be John Fisher. If I click on the (wrong) parents, it takes me to another screen where Charles Prior is the son of a Mary Cook. I typed in Elizabeths's correct parents - John & Mary, but they are not showing. I can't detach Charles as when I click on his name he shows his father as George Prior and Martha Cook. This is in an FTM program. Could any-one suggest any options?

The family are from Sheet or Portsmouth, Hants. and I'm talking1780s tho Charles Prior was born abt 1882

jood
13-05-16, 05:03
Could the mods please delete my query, I think it would be too hard for anyone to understand lol

Jill on the A272
13-05-16, 06:45
Let's leave it a while Jood as there may well be someone who knows how to help!

JBee
13-05-16, 08:21
Sounds like you've duplicated people too.

Have a look in your list of people and see if there's 2 people the same

Is it on ancestry too - if so I'd go and edit relationships ie remove mother and put someone else from your tree in their place.

Not sure how to do it on the computer FTM and am out this morning.

Will have a look later when I get back unless anyone else has managed to solve it for you.

jood
13-05-16, 09:57
No the other names weren't duplicated. I ended up deleting the other (wrong) parents, tho I took a copy of them first. I've put them back where they should be, but havent as yet put the correct parents on. Will do that tomorrow. Thanks sincerely for your suggestions. No idea how I slipped up!

margaretmarch
13-05-16, 14:44
No the other names weren't duplicated. I ended up deleting the other (wrong) parents, tho I took a copy of them first. I've put them back where they should be, but havent as yet put the correct parents on. Will do that tomorrow. Thanks sincerely for your suggestions. No idea how I slipped up!

In FTM you can attach and detach people to rearrange the relationships.

Click on 'person' just under the green bar at the top of your FTM window. The drop down menu gives the option 'attach/detach person', click on that and select what you want to do.

I imagine the way to sort this out is to detach the child from each parent that you think is wrong and then attach to the right ones.

Margaret

jood
13-05-16, 23:58
Yes Margaret, I tried that, but in my case, when I had the pointer on the correct name, (Elizabeth) that wasn't the one I wanted to detach, but if I clicked on the wrong person (Prior) - it would immediately show his family. Not to worry, I took a snapshot of the children, deleted the name altogether and started all over again. It seems to have done the trick.

margaretmarch
14-05-16, 13:56
Yes Margaret, I tried that, but in my case, when I had the pointer on the correct name, (Elizabeth) that wasn't the one I wanted to detach, but if I clicked on the wrong person (Prior) - it would immediately show his family. Not to worry, I took a snapshot of the children, deleted the name altogether and started all over again. It seems to have done the trick.

Glad you got it sorted anyway.
Margaret

jood
15-05-16, 00:43
Thanks Margaret :)