Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEAX access

Hi

Wondering if anyone has subscribtion access to te SEAX site. I'm wanting to check the spelling of a name in an original Baptism record

William Evenett - 25 April 1813 Waltham Abbey (Waltham Cross), Essex

I'm wanting to heck the spelling of the surname - Evenett or Evennett. Also to confirm the parents name of Charles and Mary.

And any other info in the image.

Many thanks

Dermot

Dermot

Whilst you are waiting for someone useful to come along and help you,(!) can I just make the observation that I personally wouldn't attach much importance to how the name was spelled at any given time before 1875. It is a name which appears to be open to interpretation and no one in 1813 would have know "the correct way" to spell it.

OC

Comment

Very true but I'm just try to see when and with whom the name changed. Seems one branch stuck with one n and the other consistantly used two froam about 1835

Comment

I wonder about the Ariel family (a lot....lol). Ours has one "L". There is another lot with two "LL". I'm sure they are joined way back about the early to mid 1700s.

My great grandfather was a Ketley with one "T". When he came to Australia, he became a Kettley "TT" He wouldn't have known what day it was, let alone how to spell so that doesn't worry me, but the Ariel one I find interesting.

Comment

You are lucky they seem to be consistent with their spelling after a change. I have studied one name in depth and have proof on censuses, marriages, births and parish records of how one name 'Arrand' stayed that way with most of them but with others it gradually morphed over about 30 years Arrand > Arran > Harran >Allen >Harrand and not necessarily in that order! Of course nowadays some of the Harrands would say theirs is a different family but I have the proof that it is not!

As OC says, spelling used to be much less important even to those who could read well. The changes I mention above were well into Victorian times.

Anne

Comment

I suspect that when a family appears to have settled on a particular spelling of a name, it is because they have copied a church register entry for themselves.

I have a family called HENSHAW, enormous in one area in the early 1700s. One man suddenly calls himself HENSHALL and there is a clear line of descent from him to the present day.

When I investigated the actual church register, the vicar or clerk has written a wobbly final "W" for the name HenshaW, which looks like double "ll". This tells me that he SAW that entry, or the entry was copied for him and he thought that was how his name was spelled. He was born HENSHAW and all his siblings called themselves Henshaw. Henshall is just a misinterpretation of a piece of bad handwriting.

OC

Comment

William McPadden, Paden! Paddon etc etc so many variations but the best is Pardon on his death certificate!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hairst -> Hayhurst -> Hayurst

with Hairst reappearing every now and again.

Same thing as suggested above ........... vicars in the 17th through early 19th centuries not being sure of the spelling ....... many of the early ones were NOT themselves well-educated, while most of their parishioners were completely illiterate.

Plus add the enumerators for the censuses in the 19th century, who were often only slightly more literate than others, and who based the spelling on what they heard ...........

I can quite understand Hairst for Hayhurst ........... when said in a Lancashire or Yorkshire dialect, the 2 main centres for this family. But the problem follows all the way over to Pennsylvania in the late 17th century and other parts of the US
                Last edited by Sylvia C; 13-05-16, 20:15. Reason: to add extra thoughts
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

My best one for Hayhurst is Porst ......... on a census :D
                  My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

You could also wonder if Evenett started out s the more common EVERETT. A slip of the pen?

OC

Comment

The place is Waltham Holy Cross and the church name St Lawrence and Holy Cross
                      Last edited by JudithM; 17-05-16, 16:43.
                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thank you Kat

Confirms what I thought.

Seen your PM

Dermot

Comment

Have sent you a message.

Comment

Working...
                          X