Expert Help needed please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expert Help needed please?

I have a very small photograph which I know is my granddad (the only photo I have of him). He is standing on the railway box and I could never imagine that it would be possible to able to see what he looked like. However, a cousin has now told me that she has the same photo and her husband has expanded the photo up to around and between A3 - A4 and that it is amazingly clear and you can see his face ok. She has tried to e-mail it to me without success, so I wondered why I couldn't do the same with mine. I am not very experienced at doing things like that, but I started by scanning it at 600dpi (as I have seen that is what is recommended on here). I also played a little with some settings. The two photos (below) do seem to be better than when I scanned it on 300dpi, but when I tried cropping them (see below) it still isn't clear enough.

Can anyone suggest please what, if anything, I can do to improve it enough to see his face more clearly? Or what her husband must have done to get it so good?

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

I do not know how it was done this is best I can come up with and it is no better than yours
    I kept on increasing the photo by 10% each time till it is this size
    Last edited by alan 128; 08-05-16, 19:23.

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Comment

Thank you for trying Alan I have been playing with it all day. I have scanned it at everything up to 1200 dpi and that was a little better from a distance. When you try to pan into those though you can see even more clearly that there are funny white blobs on the forehead and side of head.

Comment

I think there is no detail on the photo of the face,so there is nothing to enlarge and you end up with the white blobs Which are the pixels joining up.
        It happens when i tried as well.Tried with Elements then run it through with Topaz

]Please note that images I restore are only temporarily kept on photobucket

[/B]FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN ALL PICS AT 300-600 dpi

ALAN

Comment

Thanks again Alan I think my cousin must mean that she can imagine what he looks like. She actually said that you could see his face though.

Comment

Working...
          X