James Kirby - mariner 1842/3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Kirby - mariner 1842/3

All I have for James Kirby is his name on his son William James Kirby's birth certificate for 12th August 1843 at Berwick on Tweed. The birth is registered on 8th September by his mother. His occupation is a Mariner.

I can't find a marriage for him to Anna Brown born either 1823 or 1825 (2 possible births) in Berwick on Tweed.

Is there anyway to find out more about James Kirby?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Maybe they were from Scotland, as it is only a few yards away.
    Anne

Comment

The mother was from Berwick on Tweed but they could easily have married in Scotland but I haven't found anything on family search or scotlandspeople. Anna/Hannah was RC but I have had difficulty finding the records I need in Berwick on Tweed.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Have you found them on any census JBee?
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Have you found William's mariner certificates on Ancestry?

I've found lots about William James but nothing for James himself yet .... although there are several James Kirbys of about the right age who appear on FMP's http://search.findmypast.co.uk/resul...lastname=kirby and they were born all over the world!!
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Who did he marry JBee? Was it Louisa Atkinson?

Comment

No it was his son William James Kirby b1843 who married Lousia Atkinson and emigrated late in life to the US.

What I am trying to establish is whether William James Kirby b1843 is the son or nephew of my Hannah Stevens Brown who married? John McKenzie c1844 (possible marriage in Greenock in 1844 but insufficient info to prove it)

There was:-

Ann Brown born 1823 with parents William and Margaret Brown in Berwick
              Hannah Stevens Brown born 1825 with parents William Brown and Margaret Newton baptised in the RC church at Berwick on Tweed.

Were they sisters and the elder one married James Kirby or died young or just a coincidence?

I can find neither Ann or Hannah in the 1841 census.

In the 1851 census William James Kirby is with his grandparents William and Margaret Brown nee Newton (transcribed as William Morbie) in Hartlepool.

Hannah and John McKenzie (transcribed as McKursey are in Sunderland in 1851)

I have struggled to find records in Berwick - can't even find the marriage of William and Margaret Brown - one person researching the family found RC records for Haggerston Castle so perhaps if I can locate those I might find the marriage too.

I did have a look for merchant seamen records but it only gave year of birth not where he may have been based. If he'd got his mates certificate then it possibly would give him home base. Perhaps he died at sea and the death hasn't been registered in the UK
              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 08-05-16, 22:58. Reason: Sorry-I pressed the wrong key

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                All I have for James Kirby is his name on his son William James Kirby's birth certificate for 12th August 1843 at Berwick on Tweed. The birth is registered on 8th September by his mother. His occupation is a Mariner.

I can't find a marriage for him to Anna Brown born either 1823 or 1825 (2 possible births) in Berwick on Tweed.

Is there anyway to find out more about James Kirby?
                Mariners are a great problem and I have the same problem as you, except earlier in 1800 with no birth record to link back, but records which suggest that the older man of that surname in the same town is related (a father, or grandfather).

I would be inclined to stick with the information on your birth certificate as the most reliable first, just because you can't find a record online (I presume).

I should telephone local Libraries, the Archives, try also University Special Collections Libraries to see, what full street directories they have on the shelves, in their 'stack' and on reserve, around your Certificate date AND after the date AND obviously before, as you want to establish if the mother (or perhaps in the father's name) were static in the same town, hopefully the same road. This can help you find a possible mistranscribed Census even.

Bear in mind some Directories you had to pay and not everyone bothered, but also bear in some Street Directories have every address in the whole town listed with the main occupant, bit unlucky if they were lodging.

If they owned their home, then also try Poll Books / Voters Rolls or Electoral Rolls / Electoral Registers, too.

But Street Directories to try to establish him/her in the town first. You may need to ring all the Libraries in the area as one might have 1825, another 1829 and so on.

Regarding Mariners try the National Maritime Museum, but I hear Hull Uni & Hull History Centre have a collection and a lot of Mariners sailed on small vessels via Hull.

Local Newspapers carried a small paragraph on vessels, ships and coasters arriving and leaving e.g. ; York Union, Smith ; York Union being the boat and Smith being the Master or Mariners surname.

All the best Mark

Comment

I had hoped to find an address on the birth certificate but none is given just Berwick.

I can't find any Kirby's in Berwick either.

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                    No it was his son William James Kirby b1843 who married Lousia Atkinson and emigrated late in life to the US.
                    Yes JBee, that's who I meant. Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

Comment

For whay its worth, Kirby is an Irish name, not one of the prolofic Irish names, and the concentration of the name is found mainly in that peninsular area South East of Cork City. Surrounded by water it is a mariners paradise! I have Kirby in my own family tree from Caragaline in this area. Apparaently many Kirby families went to England during the 1820's to 1840's and if they were mariners they may well have found their way to Scotland first, before going to Berwick. The trouble with mariners at that time is the lack of records. I have many Scottish mariners who are found in Geenwich, Liverpool, Devon and Cornwall as well as those who have just disappeared, presumably shipwreckked somewhere! I even found one shipwrecked off the Austalian coast, so they could be anywhere!

It may be worth exploring the Cork Kirbys through Griffiths and Tithes as well as Rootsweb and Family Search. James will no doubt be a family name. They are an RC family in Cork and I have got as far back as a Patrick Kirby born around 1827, with a daughter Hannah.

Janet
                      Last edited by Janet; 09-05-16, 16:43.

Comment

Working...
                      X