Dyer Family - England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyer Family - England

Does England have statutory death records like Scotland in the mid 1800s that list the parents of the deceased and their occupations?

I think I have a John Dyer (born Sept 26, 1761, Compton Abdale, Gloucestershire) who married a Mary Bateman (maybe born 1764).

John apparently had parents Josiah and Elizabeth.

I can't find a database with the aforementioned death forms so I can try to confirm and learn more. I don't know when John or Mary died.

Originally posted by TreeFlyingSquirrel View Post
    Does England have statutory death records like Scotland in the mid 1800s that list the parents of the deceased and their occupations?
    Unfortunately, Civil Reg in the 1800s did not name the deceased's parents. It should name the occupation (as it was known to the informant), address, age, informant's name. A woman's DC will probably name her late spouse and his occupation.

Sometimes the informant name can be useful.
    You may be able to find burial records, but usually no more info; Non-conformists' records...similar...

Comment

I'll just put down what I have in case anyone thinks they can make better progress than me, and is inclined to try...

The children of John Dyer and Mary Bateman include… John (b.1797 June 4), Josiah (1802 Aug 22) and Lawrence (baptized 1806 June 19), Elizabeth (born and died 1794), Hannah (baptized 1799 Mar 3), Mary (baptized 1795 Oct 31) (all baptized in Compton Abdale).

I am going with Mary Bateman as the Mary that mothered these children because there is a Compton Abdale marriage in the register between a John Dyer and Mary Bateman on 1793 July 22 (shortly before the above children started appearing).

A good candidate for this father John Dyer is b. Sept. 26, 1761 in Compton Abdale. He would be almost 32 at the marriage date.
      Some trees suggest Mary was born in 1764, though I’ve seen no records yet to support the date.

Moving up from John, all I have is candidates that are age- and location-appropriate with the right names.

Josiah Dyer (1720 ? - 1794 died in Compton Abdale) who married Elizabeth (Cook?) (and then perhaps Hester Townsend after Elizabeth died in 1766) (if he married Hester then he apparently kept producing kids until he was almost 70). Seems like a good lead…

Joseph Dyer (1742 Horsley, Gloucester - 1771) who married Elizabeth Roberts (1742-1771)

Other possible options.

Comment

Option 1 has been confirmed. Josiah Dyer, who married Elizabeth Cook and then Hester Townsend after Elizabeth died.

Trying to move up the tree from there.

Comment

Working...
        X