Manchester Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manchester Records

It looks like I have found the marriage record of my 4x great grandparents, Patrick McGeary and Mary Morgan, in the Manchester, England, Marriages and Banns 1754-1930 database on Ancestry - however, I can not view it. Would it be possible for someone to attach the image? I really do not want to pay $30 to view one image..lol! Appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Patrick McGeary.jpg
    here you go

Comment

the marriage transcription is also on familysearch, that's a free site ...

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

they married at the Collegiate Church, Manchester .............

there is also another transcription under the name McGerry, same date, same bride, that says married at the Cathedral, Manchester
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Manchester Diocese was formed in 1847 so before then what became the Cathedral was the parish church, known as the Collegiate church of of St Mary, St Denys and St George so the two transcriptions refer to the same event.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]17968[/ATTACH]
          here you go
          Thank you SO much!

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
            Manchester Diocese was formed in 1847 so before then what became the Cathedral was the parish church, known as the Collegiate church of of St Mary, St Denys and St George so the two transcriptions refer to the same event.
            Sounds good - thank you!

Comment

Judith .............

I assumed that it was the same record, transcribed by different people ............... never quite sure with FS what they've done though.

I must admit that I was raised in a town very close to Manchester, but I'm never quite sure of the church names in M/c itself ................ sot hank you for clarifying that for me.
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

An interesting fact about the Collegiate/Cathedral church is that it was a "peculiar", that is, it answered directly to the Crown and not to any Bishop or Archbishop. It therefore performed many "no questions asked" marriages, making it the Gretna Green of Lancashire!Q

OC

Comment

I have found quite a few records for people marrying at the Cathedral who did not in fact live "in the parish" despite what the register says

Comment

I have BMDs at this Cathedral and my brick wall remains there, GGF born there 1840, his father GGGFdied same week of his birth and GGGGF died a year later accident from steam pipe broken, he is my brick wall, I recently visited the Cathedral with a group but it is undergoing lots of work and is difficult to get around though the Guides are excellent in walking you through it all explaining it all as you go around.
                    I hope to revisit again when it is completed, you can also hear the Chetham School of Music performing there, all children and they are excellent musicians and enthusiastic in their music and performance.

Edna
                    Last edited by clematised; 03-05-16, 01:01.

Comment

Working...
                    X