Manifests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manifests

Trying to locate the manifest record for the maiden voyage of the SS Furst Bismarck....which arrived in New York around May 9, 1891.

The name I am trying to locate is Carl / Charles Edward Henry Schroeder. He was aboard the ship and I cannot seem to locate the ship even arriving in passenger lists.

Thank you!

There is a Carl Schroeder on the Bismarck arriving in NY on Oct 31 1891, Aug 20 1892 and June 25 1892.

Comment

how do you know he was aboard the ship if you haven't seen the manifest??
      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
        how do you know he was aboard the ship if you haven't seen the manifest??
        His naturalization records.

Comment

could he have got the date wrong?? That does happen!

This is the Passenger Manifest for the Furst Bismarck which arrived on Ellis Island on August 20 1892, as posted by TFS above ...... so obviously NOT your Carl, look at his age

First Name : Carl
          Last Name : Schroeder
          Nationality : US Citizen
          Last Place of Residence : Rochester
          Date of Arrival : August 20th, 1892
          Age at Arrival : 7y
          Ship of Travel : Furst Bismarck
          Port of Departure : Hamburg
          Manifest Line Number : 0144
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

from FMP ..........

not sure if this is him .......... I cannot see a date of arrival other than 1891

New York Passenger Lists & Arrivals Transcription

First name(s) Carl
            Last name Schroeder
            Sex Male
            Age 30
            Birth year 1861
            Arrival year 1891
            Arrival city New York City
            Arrival state New York
            Arrival country United States
            Ship name Furst Bismarck
            Country United States
            Film number 001027624
            NARA roll number 578
            NARA publication number M237
            Record set New York Passenger Lists & Arrivals
            Category Travel & migration
            Subcategory Passenger lists
            Collections from United States & Canada

from image:-

Farmer
            Going to:- New York

Travelling with:- Louise, age 35 wife; and children Emma age 3 and Anna 9 months. All from Mecklenberg

It looks as though they are with a group of farmers from the same geographical area.

Comment

from FMP ..........

not sure if this is him .......... I cannot see a date of arrival other than 1891

New York Passenger Lists & Arrivals Transcription

First name(s) Carl
              Last name Schroeder
              Sex Male
              Age 30
              Birth year 1861
              Arrival year 1891
              Arrival city New York City
              Arrival state New York
              Arrival country United States
              Ship name Furst Bismarck
              Country United States
              Film number 001027624
              NARA roll number 578
              NARA publication number M237
              Record set New York Passenger Lists & Arrivals
              Category Travel & migration
              Subcategory Passenger lists
              Collections from United States & Canada

from image:-

Farmer
              Going to:- New York

Travelling with:- Louise, age 35 wife; and children Emma age 3 and Anna 9 months. All from Mecklenberg

It looks as though they are with a group of farmers from the same geographical area.
              He was born in the early/mid 1870`s so I do not believe this is him. He might have fudged his passport application...........

Comment

so what DO you know about him???

Having a birth date and place really does help in finding names on manifests especially when it is as common a name as Carl Schroeder ........... who might be entered on the manifest as C, Carl, Mr or even blank Schroeder!!

Did he move to the US by himself, or with family members?? Born in the mid-1870s would mean he was still in his teens when he travelled to the US!

I can tell you that my gt aunt and uncle travelled to the US from England in 1902 ......

......... but their date of arrival varies from 1901 to 1904 depending on which piece of officialdom I read! Faulty memories abound with emigrants! I've sorted out the problem with them ...... including the fact that John declared himself to be a "watchmaker" on his WW1 draft card when someone helping me find him said that this could not be "my" John, but they were posting it "out of interest" to rule the record out of contention ..... another common forename and surname.

Errrrrrrrr ......... no ................ he was a night watchman in a Watch Factory :D

Comment

Ancestry® helps you understand your genealogy. A family tree takes you back generations—the world's largest collection of online family history records makes it easy to trace your lineage.

Here is a link to Furst Bismark arriving 16th May 1891. Its an Ancestry record. I found it via Stephen Morses site so you may be able to open it from there.

Page 682-700 are passengers boarding Hamburg. Page 701-703 passengers boarding Southampton.

I have taken a look but can't see your Charles Edward Henry or Carl.

Vera
                  Last edited by vera2013; 02-05-16, 01:52.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                    http://search.ancestry.co.uk//cgi-bi...209&ml_rpos=10

This is the one posted by treeflyingsquirrel in post 2

25th June 1892
                    Furst Bismark Hamburg to New York
                    Carl Schroder aged 19
                    born Hamburg
                    ?? Occupation Workman

Vera

This could be him - but however - I have a feeling he changed his mind a lot - the only record relating to immigration I have for him is his passport application, which states he came over on the Furst Bismarck in 1891 and was born in 1872 - but the 1900 census says he came over 1894! And, the birthday on the census is listed as November 1873! Very different. Then on the 1910 census, it says 1893 immigration with a birthday of 1874!

From this, I can gather he was either faking or very confused with the year he came over - my bet is on 1893 or 1894, which is where I will look next.

Comment

so what DO you know about him???

Having a birth date and place really does help in finding names on manifests especially when it is as common a name as Carl Schroeder ........... who might be entered on the manifest as C, Carl, Mr or even blank Schroeder!!

Did he move to the US by himself, or with family members?? Born in the mid-1870s would mean he was still in his teens when he travelled to the US!

I can tell you that my gt aunt and uncle travelled to the US from England in 1902 ......

......... but their date of arrival varies from 1901 to 1904 depending on which piece of officialdom I read! Faulty memories abound with emigrants! I've sorted out the problem with them ...... including the fact that John declared himself to be a "watchmaker" on his WW1 draft card when someone helping me find him said that this could not be "my" John, but they were posting it "out of interest" to rule the record out of contention ..... another common forename and surname.

Errrrrrrrr ......... no ................ he was a night watchman in a Watch Factory :D
                      \

I believe this might be him

Comment

I believe the match for him is the one that came over on June 25, 1892 on the Furst Bismarck .... it is on the Ellis Island & Castle Garden databases, anyone know which one it actually is?

Comment

Castle Garden. Just saw it think its under Schroeder.

Did you manage to open the May 1891 arrival of the Furst Bismark. Couldn't see an obvious Carl but the writing is not very good for my eyes.

I have just seen Carl's passport application and he is quite clear that he arrived on or around the 9th May 1891 on the Furst Bismark from Hamburg. That is the day it left Hamburg arriving NY 16th May

Vera
                          Last edited by vera2013; 02-05-16, 17:27.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                            Castle Garden. Just saw it think its under Schroeder.

Did you manage to open the May 1891 arrival of the Furst Bismark. Couldn't see an obvious Carl but the writing is not very good for my eyes.

I have just seen Carl's passport application and he is quite clear that he arrived on or around the 9th May 1891 on the Furst Bismark from Hamburg. That is the day it left Hamburg arriving NY 16th May

Vera
                            I found it via Family Search .... I am manually searching the manifest. If it arrived May 1891, I am almost certain it is him.

Comment

Working...
                            X