Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MacDonald - which branch of Clan Donald?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MacDonald - which branch of Clan Donald?

I was wondering if anyone can make an educated guess as to what branch of the clan would be the likely origin of a MacDonald male living at Boleskine in the late 1700s.

eg. MacDonald of MacDonald, of Sleat, of Clanranald, of Glengarry, of Antrim, of Keppoch...

Sorry I can't help but following this as I can't get my head around clans. I have Gordons (the clan, not the Gordon workers) Grants and Kellas. The Kellas family are part of the Farquharson clan.

Comment

You do have to be cautious with clans and clan history as much of it is fantasy combined with hope, lol. I have not been able to sort out my Scottish ancestors into clans as Scottish names were fluid to say the least - Jock McDonald on one side of the mountain was called Jamie Ferguson on the other side. No consistency that I've found.

OC

Comment

OC....I found with the Gordons, some had the surname Gordon, while those who worked for the Gordons also used it for a surname.

I'm fairly certain I have a few who have different names after Culloden.

Comment

Libby

Yes, use of the clan name didn't necessarily mean you were blood related. The same thing happened in England, where manorial vassals assumed the "surname" of the Lord of the Manor. Didn't mean they were blood-related, just indicated their loyalties (at the time they were asked, lol).

OC

Comment

Working...
          X