Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoke Dresser?

Hi

Any know what the occupation of 'spoke dresser' is or what it involves?

Cheers

Dermot

Only guessing - could it be shaping the wooden spokes for cart wheels
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

STURT, George 'The wheelright's shop' Cambridge University Press, 1923 p.47 says a spoke dresser chopped the lengths of wood purchased for spokes into pieces more compatible in size with the eventual finished length of the spoke.
      The text of the book is on Google Books.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

I have nothing to add to help with the original question, but the name George Sturt is very familar!!

East Street [Farnham in Surrey] families

Mary Hart, (my 1st cousin 4 times removed), married George Peacock in 1845. George died in 1869.

Isabel Keen (1st cousin once removed of George Sturt 1863-1827), married John Ellerton in 1869 and went to live in Tiverton.

Mary Peacock née Hart married John Ellerton's father Francis in 1873.

Florence Hart married John Ellerton in 1888 after Isabel's death in 1887. Florence was Mary's niece - daughter of Frank.

Isabel's father was William Keen who was in partnership with George Sturt, his brother-in-law. The Peacocks, Keens and Sturts all lived close together in East Street - see "Farnham Buildings and People" by Nigel Temple for more information.

This is the George Sturt who wrote under the name of George Bourne. "The Wheelwright's Shop" being one of them.

:D
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I tried to find my own pictures of the Wheelwright's shop from Tiford Rural Life Centre, but failed!! But here is one anyway: http://www.rural-life.org.uk/html/Ex...d-Wrights.html

and also http://www.shepheard.plus.com/rlc/download/eight.pdf
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
            X