Thomas Lundie (1700s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Lundie (1700s)

I have Martha Torbet (maybe Tarbert etc) (born 1772-76, Kingoldrum Scotland, die May 15, 1856) who married John Lundie (died sometime before 1867).
    - they had children Thomas (b.1795), Shushana (1797), William (1800), David (1803), Alexander (1805), Jean (1807), Jannet (1810), James (1813) and maybe Elisabeth (1792).

I tentatively have as Martha's parents: Thomas Torbet (weaver, born Glenisla) and Janet Robb (born Glenisla).

I tentatively have as John Lundie's parents: Thomas Lundie (baptised Apr. 12, 1719, Lintrathen) and Isabel McKenzie (born c.1722) (married 1758).

I'm not 100% positive that this Thomas Lundie is the father of John.

I have the following as possible candidates as possibilities for moving up the tree from Thomas Lundie...

- Thomas Lundie (died 1723 Gobbintore)

Thoughts on confirming names or moving up the tree are welcome.

My first thought is, are those the parent's listed on martha's death cert? And can you locate them in a census?

Second thought is why do you have no death for john? Was he alive in the 1851 census? And why do you believe he died prior to 1867? Tgose parents for him seem to be born a bit early. Not unheard of, but certainly not making sense.

Comment

For Martha (Torbet) Lundie's death certificate, I have parents Thomas Torbet (?something? Weaver) and Janet (Robb) Torbet, both deceased.

Death 1856. Registered 1856 June 2.

She died as the widow of John Lundie, who predeceased her. His being dead for this certificate is why I have John Lundie dead before 1857.

After reviewing the census of 1841 and 1851, I now believe John Lundie was dead before the 1841 census.

Martha Lundie was living with her grown son James Lundie in both 1841 and 1851, without John Lundie. She is listed as a widow in 1851 and 1841 didn't ask about marital status.
      Last edited by TreeFlyingSquirrel; 01-05-16, 13:25.

Comment

I don't have the files to prove it, but working assumption based on old family reports is that John Lundie was the son of Thomas Lundie and Isabel McKenzie, married Aug 3 1758.

Searches also reveal in the 1841 census one possible age-appropriate candidate for Janet (Robb) Torbet that I could find...
        - Janet Tarbert, age 80, female servant and only Tarbert in a house with a Montgomery family. In Kilbarchan.
        Last edited by TreeFlyingSquirrel; 01-05-16, 13:37.

Comment

I'm willing to reconsider Thomas Lundie and Isabel McKenzie as the parents of John Lundie.

Comment

There was also a competing lineage that Martha Torbet was the daughter of Thomas Torbet and an Ann Clark.

That was my starting point, but my research seemed to turn up and confirm Janet Robb as the mother. I still keep Ann Clark noted off to the side, though I THINK it was the result of old researchers latching onto the first name they saw that fit.
            Last edited by TreeFlyingSquirrel; 01-05-16, 15:40.

Comment

I'm just going to mention a couple candidates for parents of Martha Torbet and John Lundie that have turned up in other people's trees. They're questionable, but someone better than me might be able to confirm some of it, if it is true.

One version has Martha Torbet/Tarbet as the daughter of a John Tarbet (born 1767, Forfar, Angus) and John as the child of William Tarbet (b.1741 Forfar) and Janet Sturrock (b. 1734 Forfar). It has this William as the son of another William Tarbet (no dates).

Another has Martha as daughter of the same 1767 John Tarbet, and the mother as May Suttie (b.1766 Rescombie), with May as the daughter of John Suttie and Agnes Cuthbert (b.1759 Forfar).

As for John Lundie...

There is one pair of suggested parents for him...but these trees have him in some sort of Terminator-style causal loop where grandparents were born 100 years after their grandchildren.

Anyway, it has John Lundie (this tree has him born 1763 Oct 12, Kirkton of Glenisla) as the son of William Lundie (of Glenisla) and Grace Stewart (of Glenisla). Some trees have Grace born in 1821, 58 years after she gave birth to John Lundie...

Comment

The thing is you're unlikely to get any further than john and martha. Scottish research prior to 1855 is fairly difficult. I would go with what it states on martha's death cert. I would also check any wills for hers and john's surname. You may be able to link it all in. If john died prior to 1841, you could be lucky and find a burial- not usually recorded, but depending where and the time frame, possibly lucky.

As for family stories, i have a very old lineage i can't prove, as they are all oral histories with notes littered in manuscripts. Contemporary records in the highlands prior to the early 19th century are almost non existant. But i understand records exist for the lowlands.

Comment

Working...
                X