Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Red Cross Volunteers

From The Red Cross Facebook page...

"We've put our archive of more than 244,000 personnel index cards from World War One on our website.
    Now you can search for your family’s records, and discover what Red Cross volunteers were doing in your local area 100 years ago"

The British Red Cross database of the 90,000 First World War volunteers, who were known as voluntary aided detachments or VADs, is now down for maintenance.
    Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Thankyou Chris, I've already spotted my granddad's maiden aunt as a volunteer.

Comment

Thank you Chris, had a look but sadly found no one in my family.

Janet

Comment

Found my grandmother(my avatar) and great aunt . What a great resource . I have photographs of them in nurses uniform from the time but it's lovely to see their information cards . Thanks for putting that on . Made my day !
        Liz
        my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Comment

Thanks, that's a nice resource to know about.

Comment

I just thought I would mention that the reason we haven't taken the link for the Reference Library is because it's already there - under WW1.
            As many of you seem to be finding this one useful perhaps there might be other links in the Reference Library of use for you?
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Sadly I can't find my Gt Grandmother on the list - I know she was in the Red Cross (as a masseuse) & I have a photo of her in her uniform
              Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

It's odd isn't it Bo . My other great aunt Elizabeth Andrews was also in the Red Cross with her sisters and I too have a photo of the 3 of them with all the nurses from the hospital outside the hospital building but weirdly her record card isn't listed . Very strange .
                Liz
                my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Comment

you might want to try

its a bit hit and miss on the searching - i just used the surname and scrolled down the pages for my great aunt.
                  Angelina

Comment

Working...
                  X