Name changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name changes

I have been searching for a while to find more information about the family of my grandfather, George Henry Schubert, who was born on April 17, 1900 in Philadelphia and lived there for the rest of his life. His parents came to the US in 1891. They used the surname of Grzegorzewski on the majority of records, but they went back and forth. If you are helping me search this, make sure you use both surnames of Schubert and Grzegorzewski.

I was unable to find him in a census before his marriage, except for 1920. He is living with his parents, Henry and Catherine (born in the 1860`s in Germany or Poland) at 121 Mercy Street, Philadelphia. But, I know he had 6 siblings that I have located. Stanley & Margaret (twins, born 1885 in Germany/Poland. I can find NO records of them at all except for knowing where they are buried.) Veronica (b1891 Germany/poland), Mary (b1891/1892, possibly a twin of Veronica) , John (b1895) and Rose (b1897.) My grandfather as I said was then born in 1900. I know from my grandfather`s WWI Draft Card & 1920 Census that they were living at 121 Mercy Street.

There is no need to search up his siblings, I have already.

But, the thing that strikes me as odd is that besides death records and that one census, I can find NO RECORDS pertaining to my grandfather living with his siblings, or even anything on his parents. They changed names a lot like I said earlier about the last name, but what is even more odd is that I found the burial of my g grandfather, Henry Schubert / Grzegorzewski who died in 1926 Philadelphia. His headstone reads " ANDRZEY GRZEGORZEWSKI" Weird name, right?

Then, just now, I found a 1910 census at 121 Mercy Street, where I know the family lived.

There is a

Henry Schubert (matches parameters)
    Mary Schubert (matches parameters except for names)
    Sarah Schubert
    Anthony Schubert
    John Schubert (matches parameters)
    Frank Schubert
    Joseph Schubert

I would forget about this census, but it IS AT 121 Mercy, where the family lived. They had a habit of changing names, which I knew, so this would explain some of the different names. But, what is interesting, is that I know for a fact my grandfather had 4 sisters and 2 brothers. This has 4 brothers and one sister! It would not surprise me if there were more siblings, not much was ever known about the family. But, some of the siblings in here must be the ones that I have documented, for the age matches up on a sibling I have for some of them.

So my question is - is this a coincidence? Can someone help me find out more records about some of these possibly new siblings, and help me figure out which ones are new & which ones just changed their names later on??

Thank you!
Working...
X