No announcement yet.

What became of Stanley Studd post 1922?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What became of Stanley Studd post 1922?

I know about him up to 1922, so please don't spend any of your precious time looking at his early life.

Background Birth reg Suffolk UK Q1 1899 Stanley Augustus Studd. 1901 in the family home with mother & two sisters. 1911 mother had remarried & was Mrs Vincent - she, Stanley & a younger son (both recorded as Vincent) were in Blything Union workhouse.
    1913 13 year old Stanley was convicted of theft & sent to a reformatory for 5 years. Whilst on licence, he joined the army (no service record)and served until 1919. He then entered the merchant navy (I've got his identity cert) and in late 1920 went to work on Cunard liners. He was on trans-Atlantic crossings and 1921-1922 he featured in Ellis Island records.

What happened next? There's a possible 1930 USA census record - Nassau Co, New York state for Stanley Studd, 31 yrs, English, immigrated 1921? working as a labourer in a construction camp. I can't find an immigration record, nor a 1940 USA census entry, nor a WW2 draft record, nor a death.

Would be grateful for any possible sightings.
    Thanks for reading & sorry it's so long.

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 24-04-16, 23:37.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Thanks for looking Val. I can't open the link to US/Canada records but is that the border crossing in 1925? Was it from Canada to USA or vice versa? I see there are some Canada electoral rolls records for a Stanley Studd, but can't look at the details.
    I'm unsure whether or not it is him in the 1930's Nassau Co census return (gives parents as born Scotland - they were both born England) but if it isn't him, where is that man in 1940?
    Can anyone find a crossing USA to Canada after 1930 census, or anything about a Stanley Studd born England c1899 in Canada post 1930?

(He's not family, but is on the WW1 roll of honour that I'm researching. Whilst on licence from the reformatory, he was placed with a family in Yorkshire and must have gone into the army from there.)

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Name: Stanley Studd
      Estimated birth year: abt 1899
      Arrival Port: Rouses Point, New York
      Date of Arrival: 3 Feb 1925
      Birth Location: England
      Citizenship: British

that's from the link that Val posted, his last perm address is 25 South St. NYC single and protestant, going to work in Ontario.. and lists a friend as HH Serriff at Kirkland lake. Shore. Mines. Ont

ticket issued NYC to Montreal PQ if you would like the image PM me with your email addy.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

there are some records for a Stanley STUBBS and wife in York- west Ont in 1945 [voters] and a Stanley STUDD and wife Jean in Scarborough York, Ont in 1957 [voters]

they could be one and the same person.
        Julie

Comment

Thanks for that Julie Thanks also for the offer of the image, but I don't think I need it as yet until I'm confident I've got the right man.
          Mmm - 1925 crossing over from Northern part of NY state into Canada to work in Ontario. I like that.

But that perhaps doesn't dovetail with the 1930 USA census, unless anyone can find a later Canada to USA crossing to suggest the same man came back???? Nassau County is on Long Island.

You would think Stanley Studd born England 1899 emigrating to N America would be fairly distinctive, but 1899 +/-1 yr seems to have been a vintage era for the production of Stanley Studds. I think there are 2 different men here, but which one is mine?

Is there any means of tracking an Ontario marriage or newspaper report?
          Jay
          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 25-04-16, 12:36.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

on familysearch - Stanley M/Nelson Stubbs b York Ontario 1899. Married Lily Taylor 1924 :(

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
              on familysearch - Stanley M/Nelson Stubbs b York Ontario 1899. Married Lily Taylor 1924 :(

Jay
              I'm not too up on the newspaper searching Jay I'm afraid. I have seen that Stanley Stubbs with wife Lily.

but the one I have been looking at is married to a Jean XXXXX I haven't found a marriage [not sure where to look] but they do stay in Scarborough/York district until at least 1972.
              Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie. Canada is quite strict about data protection, so could be very difficult to find the Stanley/Julie marriage on line.:(

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I think the Stanley Studd who was a crew member London to NY could be the one that Val and Julie put up.
                  On the border crossing details it says that he last arrived in the USA on the 22nd July 1922 as a Sailor on the Van Buren.

There is a sailing for a Stanley Studd on the President Van Buren but for arrival 13th June 1922. He was aged 23, a Dishwasher, b England. He was paid off at that time.

Can't see an arrival for 22nd July 1922 but note that the President Van Buren was previously named the Old North State. Stanley Studd also sailed on that ship.

Note you are asking some other questions Jay. Will take a look.

Vera

Comment

Thank you for that input, Vera. I had seen the "dishwasher" detail on a passenger list but not the fact that he was paid off, which makes a lot of sense re him remaining in the USA. Poor lad hadn't got much to go back to England for (dysfunctional family life) and his term of licence was over.
                    The last entry on his reformatory record (added two years after the previous note) was dated 4 March 1923 - "letter received working as a steward on a Cunard liner, appears to be doing well." Now sounds like 'old' news, though. Still, hopefully he had turned things round and managed to lead a happy and fulfilling life.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Not sure of the significance of being 'paid off' Jay. Stanley was 'paid off' a couple of times prior to the June 1922 arrival.

I can't see any border crossing on Ancestry for a Stanley Studd Canada to USA other than the one already noted.

Not seeing any arrival in the USA from the UK for a Stanley Studd, other than the Stanley (Crew Member), to link with the chap who is on the 1930 Census. Note that Stanley on the 1930 says he immigrated in 1921 and that he had put in his first papers for Naturalisation.

Vera
                      Last edited by vera2013; 26-04-16, 17:30.

Comment

Thanks for your help and input, Vera. The "paid off" was significant for 2 reasons: 1) his merchant seaman cert was issued in 1920 when Stanley was employed to work as a steward on a Cunard liner. The 1923 note on his reformatory record stated that he was working on Cunard liners, which seemed to intimate that he was permanent Cunard line staff member, even though there weren't enough passenger list references to support this.
                        Your comment that he was paid off more than once is very useful and has now got me wondering if he was signed on for single voyages only, which could explain some of the apparent gaps in his employment i.e he could have been employed for "shorter" sailings (such as within Europe) for which the people manifests have not survived.
                        2) If he signed on for single trips, he would be mixing with a wider circle of seamen, many of whom may have been drifters/chancers and may have given him the idea of chancing his luck in North America.
                        I just have this feeling that the 1930's census record is not for him; I'd noticed the 1921 date and also the Scottish parentage is wrong, unless step-father Mr Vincent came from Scotland?? But I can't think that he would have been around in Stanley's life for long enough to have made much of an impact!

At the end of the day, I've achieved in finding out WHO Stanley was and WHY he is one of about 80 men recorded on the roll of honour in a Church in a small Yorkshire village, which is my mission. I suppose it's the thrill of the chase which always makes us want to go just that extra step to finish the story.
                        I still have about 17 "unidentified" men to deal with, but set myself the target of completion by 1918!

Jay
                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 26-04-16, 18:04.
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

oh Jay! you have just reminded me, when I was looking yesterday at the voters lists it did mention that on one of the lists, it gave Stanley & wife Jean but states that Stanley is 'overseas'. [I'll see if I can find out which one it was]
                          Julie

Comment

I think I understand Jay. I see him on the Caronia (Cunard) arriving NY 1920. He was employed as a Waiter at that time and not paid off. I did think it was strange that he varied between Waiter and Assistant Steward and Dishwasher/Wiper. So signing on in between with a different shipping line at a 'lower grade'?

Still not sure about the 1930 Nassau census. Looks like a big contract employing lots of labour on road construction.

However, if in 1930 Stanley couldn't recall the nationality of parents, would think he is more likely to say English or maybe not

Vera
                            Last edited by vera2013; 26-04-16, 18:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                              oh Jay! you have just reminded me, when I was looking yesterday at the voters lists it did mention that on one of the lists, it gave Stanley & wife Jean but states that Stanley is 'overseas'. [I'll see if I can find out which one it was]
                              sorry, my mistake it was Stanley STUBBS & Mrs Stubbs :(
                              Julie

Comment

in 1923 a Stanley Studd sailed from Liverpool to Montreal, but he was born in 1890 and was a minister.
                                In 1922, Frank Stanley Studd sailed from Antwerp to N York - he was British, born c1901. He was also a merchant seaman and according to his certificate, was born 12 Oct 1900.

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks Julie - too many Stanleys

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                  X