X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry Tree new look

no wonder its been slow just been on and they have changed things

Hi Val,

Well, they haven't changed that horrible dark and dreary background on the trees, so I am still in a hate/hate relationship with ancestry - ha ha!

I am finding ancestry very frustrating. In fact, it has given me the impetus to start writing up the family history.

I am fed up with not finding people that were there, or having my tree info altered - they are all private.

I shall have to think long and hard when my sub comes up for renewal in the New Year, as to whether to renew or not.

bcbrit

bcbrit
    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

What has changed, I haven't noticed anything?
      Also I haven't noticed any alterations to my tree that I haven't done myself. Am a bit concerned about this can you give some examples so I know what to look out for, please?
      Anne

Comment

Originally posted by bcbrit View Post
        Hi Val,

Well, they haven't changed that horrible dark and dreary background on the trees ...
        There are five different colour options available for the background - select via Site Preferences.
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Val,

Well, they haven't changed that horrible dark and dreary background on the trees, so I am still in a hate/hate relationship with ancestry - ha ha!

I am finding ancestry very frustrating. In fact, it has given me the impetus to start writing up the family history.

I am fed up with not finding people that were there, or having my tree info altered - they are all private.

I shall have to think long and hard when my sub comes up for renewal in the New Year, as to whether to renew or not.

bcbrit

bcbrit
          Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          There are five different colour options available for the background - select via Site Preferences.
          I've been using a teal background for ages now. The only changes to the trees are what they add through Life Story - you have the option to switch that off.
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

that didn't last long tried to update a address on a marriage I only wanted it on The Grooms it changed the brides too ? also just tried to add a Image and it said come back later
            Anne when I added a photo to my tree earlier a completely different page to what normally appears came up, dont know if its still there as I am being told to come back

Comment

seems they are updating Wills and probate

Comment

Using a mini ipad to access ancestry is a nightmare - I get on a person's profile page and then can't easily go to the list of people or even change tree. I have several trees on ancestry that I access frequently.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

JBee I have given up for now dont feel I am getting my moneys worth lately

Comment

For marriage facts, I thought it was normal in all tree programs for any notes to be on both the bride and groom's record. Certainly Family Historian does that as well as Ancestry. Its a fact about the couple after all.
                    Anne

Comment

Elaine,

Thank you for letting me to know how to change the colour of my tree. I have gone to the blue, which is the best of the worst. I really don't know why they can't stay with a classic white background - it is so much easier to read. My twenty something daughter thought the new improved site was hard to read too.

I then went into tree section to work on the tree I was on last night, and just about had heart failure. It wasn't there in the list. I found it by going into Create and Manage trees. I tend to have mini trees for one line only. So only the first ten trees show in the tree section.

This was the tree where I had Wanda Von Kettler born in Victoria, BC. They kept changing it to Victoria, QC. Any way I changed it back last night, and it is still in BC today.

bcbrt
                      George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

But Anne they weren't both living at the same address when they got married ? and I like to have the mans occupation too on the marriage record ,I tried to edit it to change it but it came back the same again.

Comment

But the marriage itself was only at one address! The residence of each person needs to be in a separate 'residence' fact I think. I attach the certificate so it can be read with all the information on the marriage fact and I don't write out all the info. But we all do things in different ways, there's no 'right way.
                          Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                            But Anne they weren't both living at the same address when they got married ? and I like to have the mans occupation too on the marriage record ,I tried to edit it to change it but it came back the same again.
                            The marriage is usually a shared fact - i.e. the date and place, witnesses etc are common to both partners.
                            If you want to add an address or occupation at the time of the marriage it might be best to do it as a separate fact,
                            e.g. Occupation (as at date of marriage) = xxxxxxx
                            Residence (as at date of marriage) = xxxxxxx
                            Elaine

Comment

This was the tree where I had Wanda Von Kettler born in Victoria, BC. They kept changing it to Victoria, QC. Any way I changed it back last night, and it is still in BC today.

bcbrt
                              To make sure it stays in the right place, you need to have the country too, especially for the mapping.
                              Caroline
                              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                                To make sure it stays in the right place, you need to have the country too, especially for the mapping.
                                But it does not always work , I have some people in my tree with events in Portsmouth , that is the Portsmouth on the South coast of England .

Entry reads Portsmouth,Hampshire,England every time and they all have a pin stuck in LANCASHIRE , about 200 miles away .They appear to be aiming for a bus stop to the West of Cornholm on the A646 .

Having spent nearly 3 Hours on the phone to Ancestry I have now given up , I was told that the mapping is not supposed to be accurate .

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by kenw55 View Post
                                  But it does not always work , I have some people in my tree with events in Portsmouth , that is the Portsmouth on the South coast of England .

Entry reads Portsmouth,Hampshire,England every time and they all have a pin stuck in LANCASHIRE , about 200 miles away .They appear to be aiming for a bus stop to the West of Cornholm on the A646 .

Having spent nearly 3 Hours on the phone to Ancestry I have now given up , I was told that the mapping is not supposed to be accurate .

Ken
                                  But at least the pins end up in the right country!!

I have a theory that they look for Country, then Town and only then the County - this must be why my great grandparents were born and died in Bampton, Oxfordshire, England, but for some reason, legged it up to Bampton in Cumberland to get married.
                                  Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by kenw55 View Post

Ken
                                    erm...........so what's the point in Ancestry having the feature in the first place??? oh let me see........cos they can! that's why...........
                                    Julie
                                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

thanks Anne and Elaine will do that but am sure at one time you could edit each persons address ?

Comment

I noticed that Ancestry just cannot get their heads round our geography!
                                        I have a child born in what is now Greater London - I always enter what it was at the time that is relevant to the person - it has been altered to Honduras!! There is another one with London, Ontario. Both have maps!!! Very useful.
                                        I did have words with Ancestry about "City of London" stating that when I put City of London that is what I mean, that is what it is and always has been - none of the Home Counties should be added to it as it is incorrect. I also mentioned that they are selling their product to England and it would be helpful to have the date the correct way round because, as far as I knew, we were not planning to Americanise the date here.
                                        Having not renewed my membership I am beginning to think that I may renew in the Autumn despite misgivings .............. we shall see.
                                        Last edited by Sue1; 23-04-16, 23:59.

Comment

Working...
                                        X