Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody have access to fishing boat crews?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody have access to fishing boat crews?

A while ago my friend asked me to help her find her father but knows very little about him other than his name rough age and came from London. He is not on her birth certificate but her mum did go through the courts and get a bit of maintenance.
    Well today she told me she now has a photo of him. Her cousins friends grandfather worked on the boats with him but doesnt really know much about him. But he did say they sailed together on one of the 'Ross' boats. Not sure which one, there were 3 I believe one of them is the Ross Tiger and I believe they were all fishing boats as its from Grimsby.
    Does anybody have access to any crew details etc. to help us further
    She is hoping to meet her 'cousins friends grandfather' to ask him if he has anymore details that may gie us a clue to finding him

Tom Wood who writes for Family Tree Magazine and Founder member of Lincolnshire FHS researched the Grimsby fishing industry in great depth and has given many talks on the subject. My friend knows him very well so I will contact her and let you know by pm if he can help.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I have pm'd you Gloryer.
      Kat

Comment

I'd love to know if there is anything online about this. I know the Melhuish family had fishing boats out of Grimsby. Not sure if they owned any of worked them. The story goes one went off to the Faroe Islands and had a second family there. No idea of the truth of that. This is the same lot who had one of a later generation go off to Asia and maybe form another family there.

Comment

There is nothing online unfortunately Libby. I understand (hearsay) that the crew lists are in the process of being transcribed. You could check this out by emailing the Secretary of Great Grimsby Family History Society - grimsbybranch@lincolnshirefhs.org.uk
          I'm not sure what other info they have access to as I have never joined - having no ancestors myself in this area.
          Kat

Comment

Thanks Kat. Will do.

Comment

Working...
            X