Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody tried to find records in FMP's "Easter Rising Records Exposed"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody tried to find records in FMP's "Easter Rising Records Exposed"?

For those with Irish ancestors this is a series well worth looking into.

I have only had a quick look so far, but have already had my myth and suspicions confirmed on finding two entries for one of my ancestors in Cork with the cryptic words added on to the original image that this person was well known to the police! So far I only have heresay from Irish cousins but now I have proof. The proof lies in the address given as well as age and occupation. The trial place is also given.

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 18-04-16, 12:55.

not looked at them yet but will now

Comment

I've tried but am having no luck. I know mine were there and had to flee to Australia or get jailed/hanged/something, but every time I search I get different names to what I'm looking for . I also can't open any files I did find. Says they are locked till 2022....

Comment

Not sure why you can't access them Libby as they are free to search on findmypast.ie. They are free to search for a short time but will soon only be available through World sub on FMP.

They were originally going to be available 2022 but decided to release them early due to the centenary of the Easter Rising of 1916.

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 18-04-16, 21:34.

Comment

I'm no longer a member Janet, but I logged in and got one guy up. When I clicked the image, it just had a brown folder with "locked until 2022" on it and I couldn't get any further.

Then I tried looking for his brother (not actually know WHICH brother...lol) and it gave me one name which was nothing like the one I searched for and that's all I got. I logged out and back in and still only got this silly one.

If you are not doing anything I'm looking for Robert Evans who would have been aged 20 and a med student at Trinity in Dublin. His brother, also an Evans, but I don't know which one as he escaped here by jumping on a ship. A few of the brothers came here so I'm stuck for names. Possibles are John, Alfred, Patrick, Vincent, William, George, Thomas.......all in a possible age range. The family is from Kerry but most went to uni in Dublin. All RC.

Comment

what year was Robert born ?

Comment

Robert Evans born 1896. The household are in the 1901 and 1911 Irish census. Father is George Knightly Evans and mother Julia (nee Murphy) They are in Killorglin Kerry at both census.

Comment

Libby, there were 69 Evans but looking at the names you suggested there were two references to a Robert who was a farmer but no address given. The dates of the raids were 7 and 8 June 1921 and he was age 25. These records are taken from the TNA at Kew and the reference for John is WO35/86B/6. There was also a John Evans Manager of the Rob Roy Hotel who was killed in 1921. There was no Alfred, no George, no Patrick, no Vincent or Thomas but there was a William James that seemed to be in the army.

Janet

PS are you sure they were actually caught for anything specific or did they escape to Australia without being caught. I was told that mine had beeb
                n in prison, but could never find a date until now.

janet
                Last edited by Janet; 18-04-16, 23:45.

Comment

John might be a candidate. The family were into pubs (in more ways than one...lol)

William went to WW1 from memory. Robert was my step-father's father. He was the doctor. The others are Robert's brothers. Dad used to tell stories but never had any real info in them. However I do know Robert was a friend of Eamon de Valera at Uni. I'm not sure if Eamon was there as a student or teacher or lobbyist. Robert said he was brilliant at maths and as a tribute, one of his sons had better become a maths teacher.....( odd, I know) Dad became that maths teacher.

Comment

Sorry made a mistake but ran out of time to correct. The WO Kew Number was for Robert, not John!

Janet

Comment

Working...
                    X