Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirming a Father/Son Connection

Hello!

A bit of a newbie to all this. Been making some good progress but have hit a bit of a brick wall.

I am looking for information on my partner's grandfather.

I have some information on him and have found someone who matches quite well on a census. However, as we don't know the names of any of his other family members we can't be 100% sure the census we have found is his family. One way I had hoped to do it was by looking for his marriage registration, however, I have found it but it doesn't list his father's name as I had hoped.

Anyway I can move forward and confirm that this census entry is in fact him and his family?

Many thanks!

Do you mean you have found the marriage on the GRO index or that you have bought the marriage certificate. The entry in the index doesn't show father's details but the father's name and occupation ought to be listed on the actual certificate (unless you are unlucky enough to have someone who either didn't know or didn't want to give his father's details for some reason). Buying the certificate, using the info on the index [ ie year, quarter, registration district volume number and page number will cost 9.25 as long as you use the official site www.gro.gov.uk Beware of other sites, some of which look official but may cost a lot more.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I mean I used the GRO index. Hopefully if I can purchase the actual certificate it should give me my answer! Is it possible that if I purchase it the name may still not be on there? And if so is there another way around confirming that the person on the census is in fact his grandfather?

The only reason I ask is this census record matches a lot of things my partner knows of his grandfather. The only slightly odd thing is that my partner's name and his potential great grandfather's is the same and he was never once told by his mother that she named him after her grandfather. So I am wondering if there was perhaps some distance between my partner's grandfather and his father?

Anyway, I shall investigate some more and see if I can get hold of the marriage cert.

Thank you!

Comment

The cheapest and best way to order your certificates is from the GRO for £9.25.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Sometimes it is pure coincidence that a family member names another family member from a previous relatives name, my 2nd cousin named his daughter Eliza Ann [and my cousin [2nd cousins mum] never realised that that was her Great Aunts name too!]
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by owlsgomoo View Post
            I mean I used the GRO index. Hopefully if I can purchase the actual certificate it should give me my answer! Is it possible that if I purchase it the name may still not be on there? And if so is there another way around confirming that the person on the census is in fact his grandfather?

The only reason I ask is this census record matches a lot of things my partner knows of his grandfather. The only slightly odd thing is that my partner's name and his potential great grandfather's is the same and he was never once told by his mother that she named him after her grandfather. So I am wondering if there was perhaps some distance between my partner's grandfather and his father?

Anyway, I shall investigate some more and see if I can get hold of the marriage cert.

Thank you!
            In order to be certain you are following the correct family line you must get certificates to prove everything - indexes are simply a guide to what might be. There is no other way to prove a family line than having the certificates at each stage of the way.
            Margaret

Comment

Working...
            X