Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone up for a challenge - george family AGAIN

Hi Everyone.

I have hit the dreaded brick wall again with this family, and I am slowly but surely becoming unstable in my quest.

Please can anyone advise me which john George is mine

I have the bapt records of my direct ancestor James George and his twin brother Henry 1832, St Leonards, Shoreditch, London. Also his sister Sarah Elizabeth born/bapt 1830, also St Leonards, Shoreditch ( died as child), also the elder brother john bapt 1828, St Leonards.

These records state parents, John and Sarah Elizabeth and John being a weaver.
    John and Sarah Elizabeth Doyle marry at St Leonards in 1828 (just before son johns birth)

Now my dilemma is I have the family in all census but John the father is a carpenter not a weaver, right up to his death in 1873 where he leaves his will and estate to his sons John and James (henry is presumably dead).

on each census John the father is fairly consistent with his date of birth and place of birth, being 1807 and Bethnal green (1841 has 1811 and Cripplegate... Bethnal green and Cripplegate only a stones throw apart.

The Marriage of John and Sarah Elizabeth gives the witnesses as Elizabeth Wade and G Yannow (poss warden of church)
    I cant find a connection between Elizabeth wade and john and sarah.

I have tried to trace forward all the other john George born in the same area and date range but they all come to nothing and can be identified.

My only other clue is that john 1828 had bapt residence as pear tree court, and there is a large George family that seem to be resident at pear tree in earlier years. I cant seem to establish a link from any of them to my john.

Ancestry has many trees with my john on there, but none has his parents, others have strange marriages etc.

Any advice on where to try next would be so gratefully received.

Thank you
    Lorraine

not having much luck odd he says Weaver but isn't ?

Comment

lol, I know val, its driving me beserk.

I have him in 1839 piggots directory listed as carpenter.

I think I have checked all George baptisms and cant find one with carpenter.
      Lorraine

Comment

I cannot find a weaver right name and around the right age in the census records either,

Comment

do you think that it might be that John [the weaver] died and Sarah married another John George a Carpenter?
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I was going to suggest that Julie, but thought I was being daft , will have another look

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              I was going to suggest that Julie, but thought I was being daft , will have another look
              I have quite a few where the wives have died between census and the male married again to someone of the same name
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

there is this burial
                John George
                Death year 1835
                Death date ? ? 1835
                Burial year 1835
                Burial date 21 Jan 1835
                Burial place -
                Denomination Dissenters
                County London
                Country England
                Description LONDON: Bunhill Field's Burial Ground, City Road: Burials.
                Record set England & Wales Non-conformist burials
                Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
                Subcategory Deaths & burials
                Collections from Great Britain

Comment

Thanks val and julie

I will have a bash at that theory and see if it uncovers anything.

I have one john George bapt for 1807 son of john and Margaret, but the Margaret part seems to be elusive, no other john and Margaret births ?
                  Lorraine

Comment

think I found George Yarrow he in 1841 is an undertaker in St Leonards Shoreditch just trying to find Elizabeth Wade

Comment

interesting that Sarah Elizabeth Doyle's Father was a Weaver did you know that? this must be her Sister I have found the bap for Sarah same parents

Last edited by Guest; 17-04-16, 18:39.

Comment

Sarah Elizabeth Doyle
                        Birth date 02 June 1805
                        Baptism date 09 Aug 1812
                        Father John
                        Mother Jane
                        Father's occupation -
                        Address -
                        Parish St Matthew, Bethnal Green
                        Church address St Matthew's Row
                        County London
                        Country England

Comment

hi val

my sarah Elizabeth doyle was born 1802 and bapt 1807 in st leonards, Shoreditch, parents john and jane.. born in white bear court
                          The mary jane is sarah's sister.

again the weaver connection is there.

From being a weaver to a carpenter seems a big jump. after their marriage they move to fieldgate st in whitechapel, they stay there until both their deaths.

Fieldgate st was mainly a "tradesmans" area, carpenters, wood carvers, cabinet makers, butchers etc. I think the first synagoge was built in fieldgate st.

Whereas the "court and alley" areas were mainly weavers, silk dressers etc
                          Lorraine

Comment

do you know what year John George was born ? as there is this death

Comment

is that another Sarah Elizabeth then ? as the one I found was baptised in 1812

Comment

was he ever living in Moneyer Street
                                38 when he died

Comment

Hi val

my John was born c1807 and died in fieldgate street, whitechapel in 1873, in his will he leaves the house etc to sons john and james
                                  Lorraine

Comment

have you got a link to that sarah Elizabeth record please val
                                    Lorraine

Comment

thats all it says about Sarah Elizabeths Bap see my post 12, I thought it possible John George the Weaver haver died in 1836 and Sarah then married another John George a Carpenter as Julie suggested.

Comment

Thanks again Val

I have given it a good search but just cant find any matches to deaths and marriages.

on with the slog lol
                                        Lorraine

Comment

Working...
                                        X