Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baptism in Different Parish than Residence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptism in Different Parish than Residence?

John Willson (and sometimes Wilson) repeated reported in census records that he was born in Kimbolton, Huntingdonshire. Here's the 1851
    Ancestry® helps you understand your genealogy. A family tree takes you back generations—the world's largest collection of online family history records makes it easy to trace your lineage.

but I've been searching the Kimbolton parish records and haven't found his baptism (but there's a break in the records I was looking in, so perhaps his was in the break).

Then I was looking up his wife's baptism in Biggleswade - and found a John Willson's baptism in 1810 - abt the right period for my man. And he and his wife, Mary Marsom Wells married in Biggleswade in 1833.

If his family had connections to Biggleswade (and, BTW, I suspect they were Dissenters), would he/could he have been baptized there even tho his parents were living in Kimbolton where he was born?

Thanks!

How far away is Biggleswade from Kimbolton?

It is not unknown for babies to be taken back to mother's or parents' parish to be baptised.
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

per maps.familysearch.org, 16.54 mi - 26km

It's definitely them marrying in Willian - the James Wells is from Biggleswade
      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 15-04-16, 05:16.

Comment

I have Bedfordshire families. There were a lot of dissenters and they seem to be baptised or 'birth recorded' quite a way from where they lived on a regular basis. Eg lived in Willington but baptised in Luton. There are quite a lot of non con register images now on Ancestry although Bedfordshire is poorly represented in on-line resources generally.
        Anne

Comment

how do you know where he was born? It was quite common for a woman to go home to her mother for her first confinement.

I too have babies baptised in parishes where there was a family connection, rather than where they were actually born. I also have Methodists who were RECORDED as being baptised in records many miles from the parish of birth, but that was because the Mthodists recorded in circuits rather than in parishes.

OC

Comment

The images I have seen for my non con families IMPLY that they were away from home. Eg 'child of Fred Bloggs, of Willington' recorded in the Luton register alongside others from other places. However, I agree that may not be what it means!
            Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              how do you know where he was born? It was quite common for a woman to go home to her mother for her first confinement.

OC
              Thanks, OC - repeatedly in the censuses where he's been found, he reports he's from Kimbolton.

Comment

Anne - are Huntingdonshire and Bedfordshire non-conformist records not online? I thought between FS, Ancestry and The Genealogist, all non-conformist records were online?

Comment

Sorry, been away!
                  There are images of Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and Huntingdonshire non con records online but I have no idea how complete they are. Every so often I get lucky and one pops up for my family!
                  Anne

Comment

Thanks, Anne. Haven't spotted anything with Ancestry's non-con records, tho.

Comment

Working...
                    X