Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Under Church Scandal"

Oh My Goodness!!

So, what does it typically mean in a baptismal register if another person is a "sponsor" to a baptism because a parent is Under Church Scandal?

Great Scott!!

I suppose it would mean that someone is standing in for the parent whilst their child is baptized, as the parent is not allowed to attend the ceremony due to a prior 'misdemeanour' -- adultery? divorce? blasphemy? incest?

I suppose it depends how far you're going back, as I imagine fairly trivial things (to our modern standards) could be considered scandalous many years ago.
    Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
    Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
    Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Comment

What place, date, denomination? Is there an image on line, and if so, do you have a link?

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

"Sponsor" in a baptism register, as opposed to "godmother/godfather," suggests RC to me.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Yes, sponsor is what I have seen in RC records too, otherwise 'godparents are not usually mentioned in older records. Although, as an aside, I had a chance to see my daughter's baptism record (1976) and the C of E book has the godparents recorded then.
          Was the baptism that of an adult?
          Anne

Comment

Originally posted by James18 View Post
            I suppose it would mean that someone is standing in for the parent whilst their child is baptized, as the parent is not allowed to attend the ceremony due to a prior 'misdemeanour' -- adultery? divorce? blasphemy? incest?

I suppose it depends how far you're going back, as I imagine fairly trivial things (to our modern standards) could be considered scandalous many years ago.
            In a C of E baptism, unless playing a part as one of the three godparents, technically the parent(s) of the child plays no part in the baptism ceremony.
            It may be different in other denominations - from the registers I've consulted, it seems RC baptisms require two sponsors, one of each sex. However, I've never attended a RC baptism and it may well be that the parents have an active role to play in the proceedings.

Anne, not sure when C of E registers began to include a record of godparents - have seen the one in our parish church (still in use!) and was surprised to see my mum had a couple of godchildren. That makes me think it was it was certainly the practice by the late 1940's early 1950's, and could have begun earlier.

Jay
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 15-04-16, 10:00.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Hi, it's an Old Church Register of Scotland. Also, this couple had several children with no mention of church scandal in the record. Also, this wasn't the first child. It was maybe 8 years into the marriage.

Sponsors not mentioned in any other baptism record of their kids.

Comment

In CofS you can get grandparents, uncles etc. standing as sponsors for an illegitimate child. Is there a possibility due to time frame of husband being away from home and child wasn't actually his?

Comment

I found baptisms in a Deeping St Mary, Lincolnshire Parish Register some weeks ago, where I could see the image, and the vicar had actually written 3 names faintly above the surname. It was done for every baptism over the period from 1844 to 1855 that I was looking at.

I could only assume that they were the names of the godparents, and that he wanted a permanent record of them.

Two of the entries helped support my theory that a certain marriage had taken place that had given the father a certain step-father

Those records were on FMP, although I had a bit of a struggle to actually access them
                  My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Some vicars were very helpful to future family historians, Sylvia. Perhaps they were people watchers too

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

:D

and yes, thumbs up to them!
                      My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                      X