Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hoods Burial Mystery (all died Selby, Yorkshire), found any during your searches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoods Burial Mystery (all died Selby, Yorkshire), found any during your searches?

Hello All

I am new on here, so hope, I'm posting in the right Forum section.

I have been stuck for 15 years with my four times Gt. Grandfather George Hood, called in Selby property registrations (held at Wakefield), as George Hood of Selby. There is no baptism, nor burial at Selby!

So looking for the mystery burial Parishes / Towns, please, of:-

Please say if you are checking an M.I., or information from a Burial Register? Thank you.

Have you come across please, the Mystery Burials of:-
    George Hood died "at Selby" 18 September 1845, "Disease of the Heart 18 months Certified" aged 60 yrs, Tanner & Brewer. Three newspapers say 63 yrs, but 28 years old in 1815 (Marriage Allegation, Bond & Register), so probably 59 years?
    Birthplace unknown - hence my post, for any burial information only.

Sarah Hood, "Widow of George HOOD Tanner", died 11 Gowthorpe, Selby 28 November 1879, aged 86 yrs (wife of the above), baptised Selby, but hopefully buried with late husband, George?

Because their adult children might be buried in a family grave with George and his widow, I include their details here :-
    Richard Hood, Grocer, died of Consumption Certified [pulmonary TB], Market Place, Selby 2 May 1850, aged 23 yrs (newspapers 23/ 24 yrs);
    Sarah Hood, died of Phthisis, Wren Lane, Selby 22 September 1853, aged 18 years;
    Mary Hood, died of Phthisis, Wren Lane, Selby 24 November 1854, aged 34 years;
    Ellen Hood, died of Phthisis, Wren Lane, Selby 27 July 1855, aged 23 years.

Notes
    Although, William Hood d. Selby July 1870, aged 54 yrs was a Quaker, none of the above were Quakers.
    Sons John (d. 1860) and George (d. 1862) were buried Selby Cemetery.
    Son James moved away and died elsewhere.

Selby Cemetery / Selby Council
    Selby Cemetery opened about 1858 and Selby Council have kindly sent me a list.

York Cemetery
    York Cemetery, opened 1830s (now run by a Volunteer Trust), No George Hood of Selby burial (by email to the Trust)

Parish Burial Registers - checked
    There are no September 1845 George Hood, (Tanner & Brewer, dying 18th Sept), burials in the following microfilmed Parish Burial Registers:-

Selby (Parish film checked for both George Hood, dying Sept 1845 and wife Sarah Hood, dying Nov 1879)

Looked at the following Parish Registers for George Hood (of main interest) dying Selby, 18 Sept 1845, only:-

Stillingfleet
    Riccall
    Skipwith
    Wistow
    Cawood
    Esrick
    Hemingbro
    Barlby
    Bubwith
    Coxwold
    Drax
    Elvington
    Thorganby
    Sherburn in Elmet
    Brayton
    Wheldrake
    Birkin
    Kirkby Wharfe
    Ryther
    Rufforth
    Dunnington
    Monk Fryston
    Saxton
    Appleton le Street
    YORK - St Edward the Confessor, Dringhouses.

Advised Church Fenton, also checked.

17 more Burial Registers for YORK - not seen.

Unfortunately NO FILMS listed at York, for the following:-
    Fenton
    Brotherton
    Howden

No mention of burial in George Hood of Selby Will, Probate 1846.

Thank you, Mark

Welcome to FTF, Mark!
    Someone besides me will be more useful in your search, but a couple of questions -
    You have the Allegation (or Bond) - did it indicate their parishes? Have you found the marriage - which parishes did it indicate for them?

Just because they weren't Quakers, doesn't mean they were not some other Protestant Dissenter. And those records could be lost.

Sarah
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 09-04-16, 16:56.

Comment

In my book "Researching Yorkshire Quaker History a guide to sources," under the notes for Selby there is a reference to land being purchased at Gowthorpe for a Friends burial ground.
      There is also an intimation that the following records from Selby meetings survive - birth notes 1828 - 1875 and burial notes 1836 - 1977. It seems that the repository for these records is Leeds university library, Clifford Street archive.
      Bear in mind that you will NOT find baptisms for children of Quaker families; instead births were recorded at Meetings - monthly, quarterly. Where they have survived, Quaker records are sometimes very detailed. The ones for Yorkshire meetings seem to be stored at a range of record offices and libraries, however. Some have been filmed and are on familysearch.org or available through LDS libraries.

Jay
      Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 09-04-16, 22:13.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I note that the parish church was a Peculiar. In that case many records may be missing or events may simply not have been recorded at all.

I also see that there were at least three George Hoods - a Cooper, a Tanner and a Brewer and Maltster.

Are you saying that William was a Quaker but his children weren't? That's a bit odd.

OC

Comment

Should have added last night that if you have no bp for George, then how do you know he was NOT brought up as a Quaker? The early 1800s was the time that some branches of my Norfolk Quaker family (who spread into Greater London) began to shed their Quaker roots and to have their children baptised and to marry as C of E, although none seem to have become regular churchgoers or to have participated in church life.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
            Welcome to FTF, Mark!Someone besides me will be more useful in your search, but a couple of questions -
            You have the Allegation (or Bond) - did it indicate their parishes? Have you found the marriage - which parishes did it indicate for them?

Just because they weren't Quakers, doesn't mean they were not some other Protestant Dissenter. And those records could be lost.

Sarah

Hello Sarah

Yes, Selby was one of the Yorkshire places listed as place where there were Protestant Dissenters. The only Selby Protestant Dissent Register found, starts around 1811. They were requested by and sent to the Registrar General in 1837/1838, so the ones sent in, obviously end about 1837.

George Hood could possibly be a dissenter, but would still have to be buried somewhere.

George Hood dying at Selby 18 September 1845 is not listed in the Quaker Obituary "The Annual Monitor" published yearly, (only the son William, dying later in 1870, aged 54 and his wife was a Quaker. I have checked with Leeds University who hold the Quaker records and he is not listed.

On George Hood's and Sarah Hood's Marriage Allegation, it states "On which Day appeared personally George Hood of Selby in the Peculiar and Spiritual Jurisdiction of Selby aforesaid Cooper " in the Peculiar and Spiritual Jurisdiction.

There is no George Hood baptism, or record of birth in the Selby Parish Register 1781 to 1789 and nothing in the full Selby Parish transcriptions, so George was either a dissenter, or came from somewhere else.

The reason for posting is, that like me, some readers will have full transcriptions, or perhaps September 1845 pages for other Parishes and may perhaps be able to assist please, or may one day come across a family grave and think, a Hood of Selby, Selby is a fair distance from this cemetery?

Regarding his occupation the Coopers Guild (which only deal with the City of London have no listing and no other Apprenticeship record has been found.

George Hood diversified into Tanning and Retail Brewing and would have once, also held an Excise License. I have seven Selby Deed Registrations and also into Letting property.

His sons, worked / took over businesses. I am only interested in their adult children's burials, if they should lead me to George Hood's grave or his widow Sarah Hood's, grave, who could be buried with George Hood who died 18 September 1845.

A thread on another forum, generated over 400 replies, but only two, or three replies mentioned Parishes checked.

Extensive newspaper searching and the family death notices, give no clues as to George Hood's religion, or where he came from.

A Jane wife of John Hood mariner, aged 65 was buried at Selby 15 August 1803.
            A John Hood, Abode Selby, aged 82 was buried at Selby 4 April 1819.
            A Maudland Hood (who we believe was baptised Scarborough Dec 1785), married Charles Turner, was buried at Selby as Mordland Turner.

However, it is unclear if George Hood who married at Selby in July 1815 was related to the above burials, or not and not a single document links George Hood to them.

Thanks Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              I note that the parish church was a Peculiar. In that case many records may be missing or events may simply not have been recorded at all.

I also see that there were at least three George Hoods - a Cooper, a Tanner and a Brewer and Maltster.

Are you saying that William was a Quaker but his children weren't? That's a bit odd.

OC
              Hello

It is the George Hood burial location of main interest, dying Selby 18 September 1845 and perhaps his widow Sarah Hood dying Selby November 1879 and their adult children death dates (burial places unknown), as they may lead to George's September 1845 burial, if in a family plot somewhere?

I put the "Notes" on, about three other of George and Sarah Hood's sons (one of whom was William Hood, a Quaker, dying Selby in 1870), to save you wasting time, as I already know where they are buried.

Thanks Mark

Comment

Working...
              X