Irish Records Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Records Confusion

I've done a bit of googling on this, also searched this forum...the threads are a little old now so adding to my confusion so I'm wondering if anyone can shine a light...
    Here in England, we just search free BDM index, and order a certificate, £9.95, jobs a good'n, I have nearly 30 now :p

I'm looking for something similar for the Republic of Ireland, but I'm getting confused because of the this whole Catholic and Non Catholic stuff...

Do they have a database that covers ALL religions and was compulsory to register a bit like here?

And if so is it possible to order the certificates online?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated....

mb

I'm no expert on Irish research but I do know that GRONI is the Irish equivalent of the English/Welsh GRO. Google should bring it up. I don't know anything about Eire.

OC

Comment

There may have been a change since I was ordering my family certs, but until fairly recently, it was not possible to order/ pay for Irish Republic certs online.... payment was in euros either by personal application or by bank cheque, if I remember correctly. I used an agent to obtain my certs (at a hefty cost, I might add) but later was lucky enough to find a 'cousin' in who obtained them on my behalf.

This link should give you more up-to-date info

or if looking at Northern Ireland records:
      Contact details for the General Register Office for Northern Ireland which is within the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency and administers marriage law and the registration of births, deaths, marriages, civil partnerships and adoption in Northern Ireland.

Non-Catholic marriages were registered from April 1845. universal registration of all births, marriages and deaths began in 1864. A percentage of these were not registered. (A church record of an event may exist with no corresponding civil registration)
      There are free databases of indexes (only) to civil records available at no charge to the user at:
      www.familysearch.org
      www.irishgenealogy.ie

Beverley

Comment

Hi, thanks for the replies, and links Macbev, appreciated, I'm watching a couple of videos on the subject now...

Anyone know much about this site;

Search Irish Family History records online: parish registers; church records; Roman Catholic and Protestant. Irish Family History Foundation online research service for the 32 county genealogy centres throughout Ireland. Largest online Irish Genealogy records database for 32 counties. Ireland ancestry, baptismal, birth, marriage, death, census, gravestone, Griffith Valuations, Tithes, ships passenger lists records. Family History research provided by centres.

apparently these guys have the transcriptions of the certificates for a monthly fee, which would be amazing if true?

mb

Comment

Originally posted by Mbrady View Post
          Hi, thanks for the replies, and links Macbev, appreciated, I'm watching a couple of videos on the subject now...

Anyone know much about this site;

Search Irish Family History records online: parish registers; church records; Roman Catholic and Protestant. Irish Family History Foundation online research service for the 32 county genealogy centres throughout Ireland. Largest online Irish Genealogy records database for 32 counties. Ireland ancestry, baptismal, birth, marriage, death, census, gravestone, Griffith Valuations, Tithes, ships passenger lists records. Family History research provided by centres.

apparently these guys have the transcriptions of the certificates for a monthly fee, which would be amazing if true?

mb
          It would indeed be amaing if it were true!!

You do not mention any dates for your research but basically tracing Irish Records is not much different to a few years ago! The main points to remember are that all Irish Catholic Records remain with all the Parish Churches all over Ireland with copies at the National Library of Ireland Dublin and all Protestant records are in the National Archives Dublin. Partition of Ireland occurred in 1922 so there was no separation of records until 1922.

To help you research your Irish roots the main areas of change has been in the coming online for free the Irish Catholic records from Dublin National Library but these have not been digitised, so you need to know the Diocese/Townland . The same records are now digitised through Findmy past but you need a subscription for that. The 1901 and 1911 Census are also online for free through TNA Dublin. Griffiths Index will be found online for free but if you want maps and details then you wil have to ether go to FMP IE which will mean a World Sub for fmp or try to find onlin for which I think you will still have to pay.

Be warned though that not all the parish records were deposited with NL Dublin so you still may not find what you want! Purchasing certificates fom 1864 only for RC records wil be done through Roscommon though I have not purchased any myself.

If only there was a BMD like Free BMD for Ireland, is all I can say!!

Perhaps if you put up some names/dates/places of some of your ancestors then someone may be able to point you in the right direction.

Death Records are notoriosly few in Ireland!

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 05-04-16, 15:08.

Comment

rootsireland has extensive (but not necessarily all) transcriptions of Irish records, including parish records and civil reg. There is a list on rootsireland of records by type/religious affiliation/county on the site

Comment

I just got mine here it only costs 4 euros for a photocopy not sure if it covers the area you are interested in

Comment

I should mention that it was possible to look at the images of the parish registers at the LDS FHC in London....I found events for Letterkenny, Donegal and was able to have them printed out at minimal expense. However, although the centre was conveniently located close to the Victoria & Albert museum when I visited, I have just discovered they are in the process of relocating and their collection is housed at Kew, which probably means it is unavailable at present :(

If the indexes can give you the relevant parish for your births and marriages, providing they are R.C. events, you can trawl through the recently released Catholic Parish Records yourself, at no cost - but be warned.....some images are EXTREMELY hard to read and early ones were often in Latin. I have had some success, but naturally, my g.g grandfather fell just outside the timeline of the records for Rathmore, Kerry, so I am still none the wiser :(

http://registers.nli.ie/

Last edited by Macbev; 05-04-16, 16:01.

Beverley

Comment

You can still order up any Family Search Irish collections from any LDS Centre in the UK, and there is only a small charge for this ,but you do need to know first of all the times of opening for your local LDS Centre, and also where you are researching. The London LDS Centre has been closed for a while.

As there are many parishes with the same name all over Ireland, then it is also a good idea to know the diocese from where your ancestors came. The same with the townlands.

You still have the same problem if the relevant Catholic Church has not deposited the records with the NL Dublin. I did not find many of the Fermoy townland records in the NL, but had to write to the parish priest for the record and these records are still unavailable through NL.

It is still often pot luck with Irish Records.

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 05-04-16, 16:30.

Comment

And of course, even with the records which ARE available to view online, the problem is further compounded by the very wide range of name spellings and variations. Unless one has some knowledge of the Gaelic (pronunciation and spelling patterns) there often appears little resemblance between a basic surname and its many possible variations, such as Dunn - Dunne, Donne, Duane, Dwan(e) Doan(n)(e) to state the more obvious options - then Cath/a/e/rine could have been Katherine, Kate, Katy, Kitty and I wouldn't rule out all the Kathleen and variants either.
                    I feel there's something very uniquely "Irish" about searching for my Irish forebears and that they're probably having a good laugh at my unsuccessful attempts to chase them up.:D

Jay
                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 05-04-16, 18:26.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Mbrady View Post
                      I've done a bit of googling on this, also searched this forum...the threads are a little old now so adding to my confusion so I'm wondering if anyone can shine a light...
                      Here in England, we just search free BDM index, and order a certificate, £9.95, jobs a good'n, I have nearly 30 now :p

I'm looking for something similar for the Republic of Ireland, but I'm getting confused because of the this whole Catholic and Non Catholic stuff...

Do they have a database that covers ALL religions and was compulsory to register a bit like here?

And if so is it possible to order the certificates online?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated....

mb
                      For the statutory records, birth and death registration started in 1864 for all denominations. RC marriages were also entered into the stat records from 1864 but non RC marriages were recorded from 1st April 1845 onwards.

It was compulsory to register events from the above dates but in the early years not every event was registered.

GRO in Roscommon has a set of all those records, but only up to 1921 for Northern Ireland. GRONI in Belfast has a set of all the records for the counties of what is now Northern Ireland from 1845/1864 up to date.

The Roscommon records are not viewable on-line. (You have to order a copy of the cert). You can order a photocopy of the certificate from GRO Roscommon for €4 (euros). http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Apply...tificates.aspx

You have to download and print off the form. Then either post or fax it back to them. You can’t e-mail it to them. However if you want them to e-mail the cert to back to you, they will do that, so tick the relevant box.

Those for Northern Ireland are viewable on-line, on the GRONI site. It costs £2.50 to view a cert.

Rootsireland do have transcriptions of many of the certificates but the transcripts don’t contain all the information on the full certificate and there are a lot of mistranscriptions.
                      Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                        And of course, even with the records which ARE available to view online, the problem is further compounded by the very wide range of name spellings and variations. Unless one has some knowledge of the Gaelic (pronunciation and spelling patterns) there often appears little resemblance between a basic surname and its many possible variations, such as Dunn - Dunne, Donne, Duane, Dwan(e) Doan(n)(e) to state the more obvious options - then Cath/a/e/rine could have been Katherine, Kate, Katy, Kitty and I wouldn't rule out all the Kathleen and variants either.
                        I feel there's something very uniquely "Irish" about searching for my Irish forebears and that they're probably having a good laugh at my unsuccessful attempts to chase them up.:D

Jay
                        Oh so true You want to try finding O'Neill!!:D

Janet

Comment

Thanks for all the great replies guys, appreciated There's a lot to take in there, but I'll make my way through the links...and see what I can come up with.

All my interest is RC and in the County Leitrim area, post 1864, so I should be ok. And 4 Euros is not a bad price, comparing to the £9.95 we pay here...

mb

Comment

Hi Val, did you fax your form off or post it with cash in envelope?

thanks in advance

mb

Comment

I filled in the form and put my credit card details ,there is space for it on the form good luck.
                              Make sure you tick the box to get it by email its a lot quicker.
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-04-16, 20:03.

Comment

Will do cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X