Mary Mckenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Mckenna

Have been trying for 25 years to find parents of my gggrandmother Mary McKenna. The first record I have of her is her Australian daughter Birth Mary Catherine McKenna born Queensland, Australia 1874 and died 1874. Her birth and death certificate show mother as Mary McKenna no father listed. Mary's 2nd daughter Emma Theresa McKenna born Queensland 1876 mother Mary McKenna no father listed. All show Mary McKenna born Glasgow Scotland. I have Mary Catherine Births Certificate and show Mary McKenna 18 years born Scotland . Emma Theresa birth certificate also shows mother Mary McKenna born Glasgow Scotland her age 20, both certificates have across them Illegitimate.
    Mary McKenna married a John Turner in Bowen Queensland 21 and the Marriage Certificate shows Mary born Glasgow Scotland parents Alexander McKenna - Occupation Engineer and mother May Anne Copeland. Her 2nd Marriage to George Bourne age 22 - Widow born Glasgow Scotland, parents Alexander McKenna - Engineer and mother Mary Anne Copleden,.
    Mary McKenna dies (under the name of Mary Bourne) October 1900 in Australia and states period of residence in Australia 27 years in Queensland. Parents Alexand McKenna - Engineer no mother listed.
    Have not been able to find when and how she migrated to Australia, or a marriage for Alexander McKenna and Mary Copeland, so any help would be greatly appreciated as I said I have been trying to trace her for 25 years.
    Thanking
    Jen

I did have some credits on scotlands people so had a quick look but could not find a marriage for Alexander Mckenna and a Mary Ann Copeland, maybe they married elsewhere.

Comment

I wonder if this may be her no father mentioned
      Mary McKenna
      Birth year 1857
      Birth place High Church Glasgow Lanark Scotland
      Mother Mary Ann Mckenna
      Place Glasgow
      County Lanarkshire
      Country Scotland

Comment

Could be, but how do I know for sure? I found that one along with William McKenna born 1858 Glasgow and Edward McKenna born 1859 Glasgow both born to a mother Mary McKenna with no father listed. The 2 brothers show up in the Scotland 1871 Census at the Industrial School Abercrombie Street.

Comment

you could take up the offer of 20 free credits on Scotlands people and see if you can find them, good luck

Comment

Jenray

I have come across one which I think you have probably looked at ie the 1851 census with Alexander McKenna and a Mary b Ayrshire living in Glasgow with Alexander's brother, Edward and his family.

That Mary is I believe Mary McCarl/McKail and there are two marriage records for her on SP for 1848, one in Ayrshire St John (RC) and the other Glasgow Gorbals. Did you discount this one?

It would appear that this Alexander and Mary disappeared ? died after 1851 with the possibility of Peter going into an Orphonage (1861 census). Mary was b 1856 approx and I believe possibly a Margaret (1871 census). I wonder if she did not recall her mother's maiden name at time of marriage or maybe not.

I have had a couple of mis shots at the 1856 births on SP. Hope you are having better luck.

Vera

Comment

Been reading the Googles and just had a thought. I wonder if Andrew McKenna died after 1851 and Mary (possibly McCarl/McKail) re-married to a Copeland.

Vera

Comment

I had a thought Mary might have been married before too.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                  Jenray

I have come across one which I think you have probably looked at ie the 1851 census with Alexander McKenna and a Mary b Ayrshire living in Glasgow with Alexander's brother, Edward and his family.

That Mary is I believe Mary McCarl/McKail and there are two marriage records for her on SP for 1848, one in Ayrshire St John (RC) and the other Glasgow Gorbals. Did you discount this one?

It would appear that this Alexander and Mary disappeared ? died after 1851 with the possibility of Peter going into an Orphonage (1861 census). Mary was b 1856 approx and I believe possibly a Margaret (1871 census). I wonder if she did not recall her mother's maiden name at time of marriage or maybe not.

I have had a couple of mis shots at the 1856 births on SP. Hope you are having better luck.

Vera
                  No I have not seen this. Very exciting will look into it straight away. Thank you so much

Comment

Will look into this. Thank you so very much
                    Jenny

Comment

Have found Alexander McKenna and wife Mary. The migrated to America sometime between 1851 and 1857. Mary's maiden name is McCardle. They took sons Felix and Peter with them and had quite a few more children in America. Alexanderd died 1887 and Mary died 1908 both in America.
                      Jenny

Comment

I see them in Pennsylvania in 1860. The obit has them travelling out in 1853.

So who is the Alexander and Mary McKenna (Copeland), parents of Mary b 1856 Glasgow. Can't see them in Scotland. Maybe they moved onto England. Just thinking aloud. Will have a re-look at travel out to Australia for Mary approx. 1873.

Vera

Comment

Have found a Mary McKenna age 20 in the 1851 Scotland Census at High Street Glasgow servant to a Mr & Mrs Merrin. (The same street as I believe daughter Mary was born in Glasgow) States she was born in Ireland. Found Mary Anne McKenna born 1831 Ireland was a prisoner at Kilmainham Prison and serving Time for "Violently Assaulting the Sub Sheriff and his Assistants in the Execution of their duty" She was born at Broughal, Dublin. Do not know if this is relevant.

Comment

wonder if she was deported ?

Comment

I've looked at the Queensland archives (great site) and see the two Mary McKenna's on the ?Polaise and Star Queen. Could be either of these girls. No other info on the original passenger list apart from they had been given free passage. I gather this was a government sponsored thing where young couples and young single people were encouraged to go out to Queensland at a cost of one pound only and they had to agree to remain living in the State. You probably know all this but just for reference.

Having looked at previous forum results, I see it is considered possible that the Mary McKenna born illegitimately to Mary Ann McKenna in 1857 had two brothers William and Edward. None of these children can be seen in 1861 census but William and Edward are in an Industrial School in Glasgow in 1871. May be Mary was the one who sailed to Queensland in December 1870.

It is possible that the parents names ie Alexander and Mary Ann Copeland are made up by a Mary who never knew her parents. However, she was always consistent.

When looking at the Queensland bmd's I see that there is a James Bourne born in 1886, father not known mother Mary Copeland. Is that a child of Mary McKenna/Turner/Bourne I wonder?

If you could see the records of the two boys in the Industrial School, it may throw some light on who this Mary McKenna was and if she had another child.

Vera
                              Last edited by vera2013; 06-04-16, 15:54.

Comment

Vera,

I have previously sent a e-mail to St. Marys and the lady informed that most of the records they have are for females. The lady did a search on the children in the Poor Relief Application but found nothing.

Any idea where else that you know of that may have this information that I can contact.

Jenny

Comment

Jenny

I'm pretty sure that will be the only place to hold the Orphanage/Industrial school records. Did you ask them to check for Mary b 1857 as well.

I have compared the birth records for the illegitimate children born to Mary/Mary Ann McKenna. Something doesn't quite add up

There is firstly Mary b December 1857 to a Mary Ann at the lying in hospital, abode 66 High Street and William b February 1858 to a Mary at the lying in hospital abode 66 High Street. So possibly related not sibs. Edward and John are possible sibs for that Mary b 1857.

All these children were born at the Lying in Hospital and there are records available for them. Maybe these will hold some clues? I will post links

The Hospital Records (HOSPREC) Database was the result of a collaborative project between the Wellcome Library and The National Archives to bring together information about the existence and location of the records of UK hospitals. This information includes: the administrative details of the hospitals, and their status or type the location and covering dates of […]

Vera
                                  Last edited by vera2013; 07-04-16, 10:57.

Comment

Vera,

Thank you for those links. I have been going through them. I sent a e-mail to Glasgow Archives on information on the births at Glasgow Lying-In .

Jenny

Comment

Jenny

Hopefully some clue may come from it or at least eliminate that line of thought.

Vera

Comment

Vera, I agree with you. Would the Glasgow Archives have records for the Industrial Schools back in 1871 or would it just be St. Marys?

Comment

Working...
                                        X