Bessie Agnes Parker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bessie Agnes Parker

In 1911 Blanche Parker, spinster b. 1858 in Oxford, is living in Oxford. With her on census night are a niece, Bessie Agnes Parker, and a visitor. Bessie Agnes is 13 born ca 1898 in Bromley, Kent. A birth reg. from Oct 1897 seems to confirm this. As Blanche only had one brother Abraham William Parker who was b 1855 in Oxford, and according to censuses seems to have stayed in Oxford, I doubt he is the father of Bessie. Blanche did however have 3 sisters, Maude Eliza Burton Parker, 1849; Fanny Lucy Parker b 1851 and Margaret Ann Cecilia Parker b 1852, all Headington Oxford who do no seem to want to be found.

So can anyone find any trace of Bessie Agnes in 1901, or anything to link her to Blanche.

1911: http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...d=&usePUB=true

Thanks
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

No luck yet with Bessie but it looks as though Fanny Lucy Parker married Thomas Constable in 1883 so Bessie is unlikely to be her child

Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie, one of them sorted!
      Linda

Comment

Could Bessie possibly be this 4 year old nurse child in the household of Ezekiel Miller and family 14 Jaffray Road, Bromley, Kent? I don't have ancestry but here's the FMP link:

Have you considered she might be a great-niece of Blanche's - haven't got time at the moment to track Abraham's sons to see if this is a possibility ...

Christine
        Last edited by Karamazov; 01-04-16, 19:00.
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

This may be Margaret Anne Cecilia:
          MARGARET ANN C
          PARKER
          -
          MARGARET ANN C PARKER married one of these people
          WILLIAM MURRAY, RALPH RAWLINSON
          HEADINGTON
          -
          Oxfordshire
          England
          3A
          England & Wales marriages 1837-2008
          Last edited by Karamazov; 01-04-16, 19:05.
          Researching:
          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Fanny Lucy Constable of the Bell Hotel died in Charlbury in Oct 1946 - supposedly aged 99 - she added 4 years! A newspaper report said she was the oldest licensee in the country.
            Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
              Could Bessie possibly be this 4 year old nurse child in the household of Ezekiel Miller and family 14 Jaffray Road, Bromley, Kent? I don't have ancestry but here's the FMP link:

Have you considered she might be a great-niece of Blanche's - haven't got time at the moment to track Abraham's sons to see if this is a possibility ...

Christine
              This is the Ancestry link to that 1901 entry

Jackie

Comment

Christine those both look really good. That would only leave Maude to trace, I wonder if she died young as I can only find her on the 1851 census. Brother Abraham's eldest child was born in 1888, so too young for any of them to parent Bessie. What confuses me is that this family were solidly in Oxford for generations, then suddenly Bessie pops up in Kent. I was wondering (Clutching at straws rather) whether maybe Fanny, who was in London when she married had a child before marrying Mr Constable, and this child is the parent (mother?) of Bessie. Fanny is at home with the family in 1881, but could just about have managed a child before marrying in 1883 - the child would then have been about 16 in 1897. I'm reaching for it a bit. Trouble is these are really distant twigs, so don't really want to spend out for the cert.
                Linda

Comment

Presume this is the family in 1861

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Maud is still there

Do you think this could be her in 1871?

Jackie

Comment

Blanche is with her parents in 1891 here

Have you any idea who Ellinor is? She would be old enough to be Bessie's mother
                    Jackie

Comment

Looks like Margaret married William Murray. In 1881 at 11 Buckland Terrace, South Stoneham, Hants

William Murray Head Married Male 30 1851 Draughtsman Ordnance Office (C S O) Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
                      Margaret A C Murray Wife Married Female 28 1853 Draughtsman Wife Oxford, Oxfordshire, England
                      Margaret M M Murray Daughter Single Female 3 1878 Scholar Oxford, Oxfordshire, England
                      Eleanor R V Murray Daughter Single Female 2 1879 - Oxford, Oxfordshire, England
                      Then at Lodge Place, South Stoneham in 1891

Household Members

William Murray Head Married Male 40 1851 Draughtsman Ordnance Survey Edinburgh, Scotland
                      Margaret A C Murray Wife Married Female 38 1853 - Oxford
                      Margaret M M Murray Daughter Single Female 13 1878 Scholar Oxford
                      William J Murray Son Single Male 7 1884 Scholar Southampton, Hampshire, England

Last edited by Karamazov; 01-04-16, 20:12.
                      Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                        Blanche is with her parents in 1891 here

Have you any idea who Ellinor is? She would be old enough to be Bessie's mother
                        Eleanor Murray is Blanche's niece - daughter of her sister Margaret - see 1881 census in above post.
                        Researching:

Comment

I suppose the only way to know for sure will be to get Bessie's birth cert but could she perhaps be a daughter of a cousin of Blanche rather than of one of her siblings. I know that would make her a cousin once removed but it might have seemed simpler to describe her as niece.
                          I've searched for various combinations of names, approx yob and Bromley or just Kent as place of birth in 1901 but she does seem intent on hiding.
                          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Wow, I go away for a bite of dinner and come back to find all these discoveries - I was having absolutely no luck when I was looking for them this afternoon. So it looks like both of Margarets daughters could possibly be the mother of Bessie, and Maud - I think that is her in 1871 Jackie, thank you, is a Barmaid in London, so is also in the right area. I wonder where Margaret jr. and Ellinor are in 1901 - if either of them are in Bromley area, that would narrow down things!

Thanks so much both of you.
                            Linda

Comment

They're in Hampshire

Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                                Wow, I go away for a bite of dinner and come back to find all these discoveries - I was having absolutely no luck when I was looking for them this afternoon. So it looks like both of Margarets daughters could possibly be the mother of Bessie, and Maud - I think that is her in 1871 Jackie, thank you, is a Barmaid in London, so is also in the right area. I wonder where Margaret jr. and Ellinor are in 1901 - if either of them are in Bromley area, that would narrow down things!

Thanks so much both of you.
                                Am I missing something here - I'm not following the logic of either of Margaret's daughters potentially being Bessie's mother - they are both Murrays so presumably Bessie's Parker surname would have to come via her father, whoever he was?
                                Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                                  I suppose the only way to know for sure will be to get Bessie's birth cert but could she perhaps be a daughter of a cousin of Blanche rather than of one of her siblings. I know that would make her a cousin once removed but it might have seemed simpler to describe her as niece.
                                  I've searched for various combinations of names, approx yob and Bromley or just Kent as place of birth in 1901 but she does seem intent on hiding.
                                  Not definitive by any means but see the possible 1901 Bessie Parker in Bromley mentioned in post 4 (with FMP link). Jackie has supplied the ancestry link in post 7.
                                  Researching:

Comment

My thinking was because they were both born before Margaret married William Murray, they would both legally be Parkers instead of Murrays and so pass that name on.. However it does look as both were registered as Murray and not Parker, so another of my ideas gone. There is still Maud who was (possibly) last sighted in London in 1871, or another possibility might be that Bessie is actually Blanches daughter but called niece as Blanche is unmarried.
                                    Linda

Comment

Aah - Eleanor Rose Victoria Murray died 9 Jan 1941. Probate record, Admin granted to Margaret Maud Mary Whiton, widow.
                                      Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                                        My thinking was because they were both born before Margaret married William Murray, they would both legally be Parkers instead of Murrays and so pass that name on.. However it does look as both were registered as Murray and not Parker, so another of my ideas gone. There is still Maud who was (possibly) last sighted in London in 1871, or another possibility might be that Bessie is actually Blanches daughter but called niece as Blanche is unmarried.
                                        Ignore this - for some reason I thought that Margaret married William in 1883, not 1876 - I'm obviously talking complete rubbish!
                                        Linda

Comment

Working...
                                        X