Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edwin Henry Hooker - what happened to him after 1891?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edwin Henry Hooker - what happened to him after 1891?

I have a thread about this individual over at the Genealogists' Forum, but I wanted to raise the topic here so as to bring in a wider group of people and hopefully find some answers... although I'm not feeling optimistic.

So far I have only found two pieces of evidence relating to Edwin:

1) His birth was registered in Egham:

Births Dec 1883

HOOKER Edwin Henry Windsor 2c 429

2) He appears on the 1891 census with his (possible) father.

Much of the thread I linked to above is about Edwin's father's housekeeper, who may or may not have been Edwin's mother. At some point I will probably order the birth certificate, as it would be nice to confirm this either way, but even knowing who his parents were is unlikely to help me trace what happened to him after the 1891 census.

I cannot find any marriages or deaths relating to that name; I've tried all manner of searches with various criteria but can't seem to get anywhere. No doubt there are numerous possibilities as to what could have happened to him, but it's all speculation at this point.

Any ideas? Can anyone help me find out who Edwin was, and what became of him?
    Eighteen -- Hadleigh, Suffolk; Reading, Berkshire
    Hendry -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire
    Wylie -- Ballymena, Antrim; Glasgow, Lanarkshire

on FMP there is a E Hooker living in Southampton a labourer in 1911
    not sure if it is him though.

Comment

did you notice on that link he is mistranscribed as Hacker ?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        did you notice on that link he is mistranscribed as Hacker ?
        Yes, but a correction for that has already been submitted. It's definitely the same family.

Comment

have you found his siblings after 1891?

Comment

ignore this
            Last edited by Guest; 30-03-16, 21:46.

Comment

Yeah, I know all about the family: Henry, Maria, and their children: Harry, Albert, Minnie, Edith & Janet.

Just not Edwin... who I assume is a bastard.

Comment

what I should have said is where did you find them?

Comment

Originally posted by James18 View Post

Just not Edwin... who I assume is a bastard.
                  His birth registration is indexed as HOOKER, and doesn't appear to be indexed under a mother's surname as well, so, unless he was born to an unmarried mother also called HOOKER, I think you can assume that his parents were married (or at least claiming to be) when the birth was registered. To be certain of the detail, you need the certificate ( as always).
                  Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                  Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
                    His birth registration is indexed as HOOKER, and doesn't appear to be indexed under a mother's surname as well, so, unless he was born to an unmarried mother also called HOOKER, I think you can assume that his parents were married (or at least claiming to be) when the birth was registered. To be certain of the detail, you need the certificate ( as always).
                    Thanks for your reply, Antony.

Henry's wife was Maria Hooker, who was admitted into Woking Asylum in May 1881, and who died there in 1916. She appears on the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census records as a patient there. So, it is unlikely - though not impossible - that she was Edwin's mother.

Also, Henry & Maria's four youngest children (Albert, Edith, Minnie & Janet) were all baptized together in Longcross, Surrey in 1893. Aside from Janet, they were adults at this point, which is mentioned on their entries in the register. I don't know why Harry wasn't baptized as well, although being the eldest it's possible he either didn't want to be, or had been previously. Anyway, Edwin is not baptized with these four, even though he'd still have been a child at this point.

So, as things stand, I believe that Janet was Henry & Maria's youngest child, as she is the last to be seen on any census records with her mother, and she was born the year before her mother was admitted.

At some point I will probably order Edwin's birth certificate, as it would certainly be nice to confirm his details, and I would prefer to know for sure that he was Henry's son before I add him to his family tree. However, I would be very surprised if Maria was his mother.

Another thing worth mentioning is that on his 1911 census, Henry has written that he had five children from his marriage, but one has died - this is Edith, who was also admitted into Woking Asylum, and died there in 1906. At that point, there are four still living: Harry, Albert, Minnie & Janet. Again, based on this, it would point heavily to Edwin being a bastard, as if he was still alive in 1911 and was Maria's son, Henry would surely have written that there'd been six children from the marriage, not five.

At this point I have to assume that Edwin was Henry's natural son with another woman after Maria had been admitted to Woking Asylum, and that it's a possibility (though one for which I have no evidence as yet) that Edwin's mother was Henry's housekeeper, Matilda Doe. It could just be a coincidence that Matilda is on two census records with Henry, and on one of them her children are living with her whilst her husband (their father) is always at separate addresses even though they're both down as being married. It could be nothing, of course, but I just have a feeling.

Whoever Edwin's mother was, he certainly does not appear to have married or died under his birth name, which is problematic. I've tried searching for a Brooks (Matilda's maiden name) or Doe (her married name) but nothing has cropped up so far. If she wasn't his mother, and he just ended up with a different family at some point after 1891, and they changed his name, then it will be a needle in a haystack I think.

Comment

He could have dropped the Edwin and became Henry, or transposed to Henry Edwin. I presume that he wasn't living with any of his siblings in later census?

if it were me, I would be purchasing that cert to give you something concrete to work with. I can't see you getting much of anywhere else without it I'm afraid.
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                        I presume that he wasn't living with any of his siblings in later census?
                        No, all of siblings are accounted for and I don't see anyone that would be Edwin.

Matilda Doe (the housekeeper from the 1891 census) is still living with Henry & Harry in 1901, although by that time her children appear to have left.

Currently all we have is his birth record, and the 1891 census.

Comment

do you have the link for ancestry 1891 cens? please
                          Julie

Comment

Certainly.

And some analysis here.

Comment

ignore that, found it [duh!]
                              Julie

Comment

not having much luck I'm afraid.
                                Julie

Comment

I've ordered a birth certificate for Edwin, so hopefully we'll find out soon. (Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean we'll be able to trace his whereabouts after 1891...)

Comment

Originally posted by James18 View Post
                                    I've ordered a birth certificate for Edwin, so hopefully we'll find out soon. (Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean we'll be able to trace his whereabouts after 1891...)
                                    no it doesn't but at least you'll be armed with the correct information fingers crossed it leads to a breakthrough.
                                    Julie

Comment

When you get the birth certificate, you may be able to cross reference the date of birth with entries on the 1939 Register. It might throw something up if he was using a different surname.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
                                        When you get the birth certificate, you may be able to cross reference the date of birth with entries on the 1939 Register. It might throw something up if he was using a different surname.
                                        Yeah, absolutely. Hopefully it will lead to something - hopefully the mother's name will be a big help.

Fingers crossed it'll be here tomorrow...

Comment

Working...
                                        X