Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Hall artist

Hi

Can anyone point me in the direction of researching a Music Hall artist.

I have found several other distant relatives via google searches, but wondered if there was an actual archive.

I have found a 1914 passenger list where a relative has cited their occupation as a 'Music Hall artist' and she appears to be travelling amongst a company of fellow artists.

Many thanks.

The lady in question is Cecilia Clarissa Jay who became Catling on her marriage.
    The passenger list cites her name as Cecilia Jay.
    On her divorce, she changed her name and was known as Cecilia Cecille.

There are 2 other actresses within the era Isobel Jay, who at present isn't linked to my ancestors and Maud Marion Jay, who is.
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

think I just found her but the site crashed

Comment

I'm not sure if the newspaper The Era, which was published up to about 1939 from Victorian times, is on line. It was the best paper with reports about all sorts of theatricals.
      Anne

Comment

thought I had found her in the Boston Daily Globe but site keeps crashing for some reason what year was she born

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
          I'm not sure if the newspaper The Era, which was published up to about 1939 from Victorian times, is on line. It was the best paper with reports about all sorts of theatricals.
          Anne
          The Era is available online through Find My Past and British Newspaper Archive - at a cost of course. I find the Archive has the better search engine so often use that first to locate articles then use my FMP subscription to track down and read the article

Comment

There are several places to look, many listed in our Reference Library - apart from the archives, it is worth browsing the history sites for programmes/posters etc.

Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thank you everyone, I did not think about the newspapers, so as I have FMP, will check them out.

Thanks Caroline for the link, I did go to the sites reference library, but did not think to look under entertainment, I think I was in literal mood and didn't think of looking for a more generic title.

Many thanks all.
              Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Just an update, I found her in the Era, going on tour to South Africa in 'Splash Me', so this would relate to the passenger list I found.
                So far I have not found her in the Boston Globe, but happy to have a bit more info. I have recently received some family photo's from a cousin, and Cecilia has that 'theatrical' aura in all her photo's.
                Bubblebelle x

Comment

One of the best sources is 'The Stage'. Unfortunately it is quite an expensive pay site.
                  Go to> https://archive.thestage.co.uk/Defau...=1459425908601

Search for the phrase "Cecilia Jay" and "Maud Jay"you'll get some hits which may be worth investigating.
                  Phil
                  historyhouse.co.uk
                  Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thank you Phil. I will take a look.

Searches for Cecilia are difficult because Isobel Jay had a daughter Cecilia Cavendish, so many hits relate to these two. The name Cavendish suggests that Isobel could link into my branch of the family as they were from Cavendish in Suffolk, but at the moment I do not have this evidence.

£15 for a week doesn't sound too bad. Thank you.
                    Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                    X