Looking for Emma Gertrude this time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Emma Gertrude this time!

Parents: john Thomas + Elizabeth A Kilby ... She's with them (age 16, shoe machinist) Beal St. Leicester in 1901.

Can anyone please find her in 1891?

I've found a marriage in 1906 Leicester to Harry White ... Can anyone please find them in 1911?

I've found a possible 1939 entry for Emma White, pensioner, Blackpool + possible death for her in 1973 Blackpool.

Help to fill gaps (children etc) appreciated.
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Oh yes, I see that Mary Jane Agar and Elizabeth Ann Kilby were both nee Orton.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

If Emma was born about 1885 (16 in 1901) wouldn't she have been too young to be a pensioner in 1939? Sorry I'm probably nit picking as I guess you found her via her birth year as well as name.
      Last edited by JudithM; 29-03-16, 13:37.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
        If Emma was born about 1885 (16 in 1901) wouldn't she have been too young to be a pensioner in 1939? Sorry I'm probably nit picking as I guess you found her via her birth year as well as name.
        Maybe she was on a private pension or anniuity? Would her circumstances indicate that as a possibility? She might have been well enough off to retire to the seaside?

Comment

It doesn't say Emma G has retired, it says Harry has and he was a good bit older. Everything fits in 1911 apart from Emma G's year of birth (she seems to have knocked 4 years off her age). I'm not too sure about harrys' being exact either but they had moved around so much that they probably lost track of their ages The job that Harry has retired from fits perfectly with the 1911 census too.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
            Could this be her LL. The niece of Edward and Mary Agar?

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/65...d=&usePUB=true
            Hi Chrissie ... Thanks, I looked at that census page, but at the time didn't make the connection. I did wonder if Mary might be Elizabeth's sister but wasn't able to check earlier + as Eliz.born at Seagrave and Mary at Hoby I temporarily discounted it. (I've not yet researched the Orton family)
            Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 29-03-16, 18:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
              It doesn't say Emma G has retired, it says Harry has and he was a good bit older. Everything fits in 1911 apart from Emma G's year of birth (she seems to have knocked 4 years off her age). I'm not too sure about harrys' being exact either but they had moved around so much that they probably lost track of their ages The job that Harry has retired from fits perfectly with the 1911 census too.
              It seems we've been looking at different Emmas. The Emma I found at B'pool was retired + no mention of Harry. I've just seen the one you refer to (I presume at Amberbank Grove).

Where are they in 1911?

Comment

I'm sorry, I presumed you were looking at this couple in 1911 - http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...d=&usePUB=true

Apart from her age in 1939 I thought this was the same couple (yes, at Amberbank Grove). The two listed children, Eric H and Ella D fit with White births with mmn Kilby.
                Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 29-03-16, 20:25.

Comment

Originally posted by LeicestershireLass View Post
                  Hi Chrissie ... Thanks, I looked at that census page, but at the time didn't make the connection. I did wonder if Mary might be Elizabeth's sister but wasn't able to check earlier + as Eliz.born at Seagrave and Mary at Hoby I temporarily discounted it. (I've not yet researched the Orton family)
                  This looks like them in 1861 - http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/87...d=&usePUB=true

Hoby is only about 4 miles from Seagrave, so perhaps she thought that's where she was born, or thought it sounded better?

Comment

lol Chrissie ... I couldn't find them in 1911 ... why did she use her middle name instead of first name???

presuming that Ethel and Phyliss (sp on 1911 census) had left home by 1939, that leaves 2 children unaccounted for (closed records 1939???) ... do you think they might be Enid b1921 and Dennis b1923 Sheffield?

Can't find Ethel birth to match place stated on 1911 census, e.g. Ethel Vera, b1909 Leeds
                    I think Phyllis Dorothy may have been b1910 Oldham (can't read birthplace on 1911 census sheet!)

Comment

Perhaps Harry called her Gertie and forgot that Gertrude wasn't her first name when he filled it in?

Ethel Vera White born June 1908 Leeds ref 9b 426.
                      I agree re the Phyllis Dorothy M White. It say born Middleton and Middleton came under Oldham.

I wondered about those two born in Sheffield too.

Comment

Ethel Vera White born June 1908 Leeds ref 9b 426.
                        It say born Middleton and Middleton came under Oldham.
                        Looks like she has a problem remembering birth dates!
                        I thought it might be Middleton too.

Cheers thanks for all your help
                        Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 29-03-16, 21:18.

Comment

Your welcome LL

Comment

p.s. The dates of birth for the children look ok. Don't forget the census was before their birthdays that year.

Comment

Working...
                            X