Canadian military medals WW1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian military medals WW1

Were any awarded (I had thought there were Victory and War medals like the UK) and if so, are they searchable online for free?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Janet, the link, although pretty long winded, will explain all that you wish to know about Canadian service medals of WW1.

Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Thanks David - as we'd assumed, similar to the UK set up.
      Now to try and find out just how to locate exactly what was awarded to my man????? I think I could be rather busy over the next couple of days ;D

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Library and Archives Canada are in the process of digitising and putting online the service records of CEF soldiers - with luck your man might already be on the site - you can start here:

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discove...roduction.aspx

Comment

Many thanks for your contribution Sue. That's a wonderful site isn't it? I had found the digitised record on there, but didn't realise it was supposed to also include the "medal card." (The UK has a separate medal card rolls data base.)
          In the digitised record, there is reference to his entitlement to the 14-15 star, but I don't see any mention of the war medal and victory medal. Have read through again and there is mention of the scroll and plaque being sent to the father in England. With my luck, the relevant record sheet may have been lost or mis-filed. However, I was thrilled at the bonus of finding a photo of his actual grave marker in the war cemetery on one of the other Canadian sites. I am amazed at how much paperwork for his time with the CEF has survived.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
          X