Trove newspapers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trove newspapers

There are not many petitions which grab my attention, but having recently broken down one of my brickwalls with the help of the Trove newpaper website, I just cannot resist this one!
    It's reported that cuts to the funding of the National Library of Australia may well have an impact on Trove. Show your support by taking a minute to sign.

Elaine

I've signed Elaine and it only took a minue ;)
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thank you for pointing out my typing error in such a discrete way. Now corrected.
      Elaine

Comment

Signed - I have used Trove a lot.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Signed - it's a very useful resource
          The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Signed - over the years it's helped me find many on my Scottish side that had settled there.
            My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Signed - a very useful site.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Signed - it's an invaluable resource.

Comment

Well, it (nearly) worked!!

To the more than 10,000 people who have signed the change.org petition to fund Trove – we have listened. A Shorten Labor Government will reverse the Abbott-Turnbull Government’s cruel cuts to Trove, allowing the National Library to continue providing its unique online collection of Australian culture and history for current and future generations. Trove is an initiative of the National Library of Australia, and provides online access to collections of books, photographs, newspapers, maps and historical documents. It is one of the largest digital cultural collections in the world, used by everyone from academics, to schoolteachers, to historians. Trove is essential national research infrastructure. It has some 471 million items available for free access, and has more than 20 million unique users every year. Museums, libraries, galleries, archives, historical societies and research bodies all across Australia access it every day. The Abbott-Turnbull Government has stripped $37 million from our national institutions, including the National Library, National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery and the National Archives of Australia. As a result of the nearly $6 million cut from the National Library, it has no longer been able to provide staffing to add new content to Trove. Failure to support and invest in this national resource is a poor decision in the digital world of the twenty-first century. The destruction of an innovative resource like Trove works against Australia’s transition to a knowledge-based economy. Now is the time to ask the Government – will they follow Labor’s lead and return funding to Trove? Or will they let July 2 go by without saying a single word on the subject? Labor cares about our national institutions and the maintenance of Trove as a living information resource. We will deliver $3 million a year over four years so it can resume adding new content to Trove and keep building on its success. The destruction of Trove is yet another area where Prime Minister Turnbull says one thing and does another. He says he supports Australian arts and culture, and encourages innovation and creativity. Yet he is happy to destroy a precious information resource. Labor is the party of arts and culture and we will stand up to protect Trove. If elected, a Shorten Labor Government will restore the arts and creative industries to their rightful place in Australia’s cultural and economic life. Our plan for a more creative Australia includes: Restoring the standing of the Australia Council for the Arts by providing new funding from 2017, closing the Turnbull Government’s ministerial slush fund called Catalyst and returning all remaining money to the independent Australia Council. Supporting local drama production by the ABC. New funding for local drama will foster creative skills development for Australian writers, producers and actors and will help to reinvigorate the local screen industry. Increasing the Regional Arts Fund over four years, increasing employment and professional development opportunities for regional and remote artists. Investing in Australia’s contemporary live music industry by bringing the Live Music Office and the Australian Music Centre under the umbrella of an expanded Sounds Australia to support the development of Australia’s live music export industry. For more information on Labor’s plans to properly fund Trove, visit: www.100positivepolicies.org.au/restoring_trove_fact_sheet
                  Last edited by Caroline; 16-06-16, 09:32. Reason: Didn't read it properly ... :(
                  Caroline
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I got pretty excited, Caroline....until I realised that so far, only the Opposition has responded. Nothing I can find in that link to suggest that the government has displayed a change of heart :(. I will be more than happy to be shown I am wrong. Pretty poor show from a P.M endlessly banging on about making this country innovative.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has launched the National Innovation and Science Agenda with Minister Pyne at CSIRO in Canberra

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                      I got pretty excited, Caroline....until I realised that so far, only the Opposition has responded. Nothing I can find in that link to suggest that the government has displayed a change of heart :(. I will be more than happy to be shown I am wrong. Pretty poor show from a P.M endlessly banging on about making this country innovative.

http://www.malcolmturnbull.com.au/me...cience-agenda1
                      Oops - sorry, I missed the word SHADOW!! But it's a start isn't it?
                      Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                        But it's a start isn't it?
                        Indeed.....half a loaf is always better than none.....and in a poll that is being touted as a close-run thing, perhaps the Libs will feel obligated to match the offer. Fingers X'd

Beverley

Comment

I've signed. I have never been able to navigate it with any success but I know the answers to my queries are in there somewhere. Others are much better than me at digging it out,

Comment

I have signed. Have found this website an incredibly useful source at times and would be sad to see it go.

Comment

It's not actually closing, it just won't be able to afford to update itself with new records.

Comment

Working...
                              X