Easton, East Riding of Yorkshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easton, East Riding of Yorkshire

Looking for an ancestor born 1797 Easton, does anybody know what district this would come under.
    Many thanks

As from 1837 it came under the registration district of Bridlington.
    If you are looking for a birth then the best you will get is a baptism entry, which may or may not give date of birth.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine that is a great help

Comment

Easton is the name of a farm, rather than a village settlement. It's outside Bridlington, on the road to the small village of Grindale, so I would guess you would probably need Bridlington PR. At the time your person was born, there was just the one C of E church in Bridlington, St Mary's, often referred to as Bridlington Priory church.

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 25-03-16, 19:42.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Many thanks Janet. I have also found an Easton and an Easton Farm on the B1253, do you think either of these is a likely contender?

Comment

Whereabouts on the B1253? There's EastFIELD (now a garden centre) on that road, just outside Brid and well before you get to Boynton village. I think there's a farm track from Eastfield farm to the Grindale road ,and that passes Easton farm.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Sorry for the delay in replying.
              I have been looking on a recent Ordnance Survey map, on the B1253 going west from the nursery there is Eastfield Farm then a place named Easton and then Easton Farm the road then goes on to Beechbrook.

Comment

Okay, they are all the names of what are/would have been farms rather than village settlements. Hope this link works -

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=513...+of+Yorkshire+[City/Town/Village]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

If you are after baptisms, then you need to try and find out which parish or parishes these farms would have been in. I think the B 1253 is an old thoroughfare, as is the Roman road (Woldgate) running parallel to the south. Boynton was the estate and ancestral home of the Strickland family (of turkey fame!) and there has been a church there for centuries.
                Do you want to give us a surname and to tell us where you found the Easton link?

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks Janet.
                  I am looking for the baptism of Thomas Wood (I posted about him a few years ago with no success).
                  Born about 1797, he appears on all census. I am clutching at straws really as I can't make out where he was born on any census. 1841 living South Dalton Yorkshire born in county. 1851 living South Dalton born Eaftstone, 1861 living South Dalton born Ebstone, dies 1863. I am hoping his place of birth could be Easton.
                  Any help would be much appreciated.

Comment

1861 Ebstone - Have you considered the village of Ebberston as a possibility - on the A170, Scarborough to Pickering road? (Between Snainton and Thornton le Dale?)
                    If you're "out of area", then I seem to recall someone was running a small family history business there, in conjunction with a caravan site/accommodation. They were offering a research facility with access to Yorkshire records, although I suspect current internet facilities have knocked their business on the head. However, for a small fee, they might be willing to do look ups of local PR. Sorry, can't remember the name of the business, as I never needed to use it.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks Jay, will look into the possibility finding someone local to search out baptisms in Ebberstone as I'm located in Bournemouth.

Comment

Working...
                      X