Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tobias & Mary Bowles and children, Gosport, Hampshire 1781-1788

Hi,

I'm new to this site so please forgive me if I make any mistakes. I am doing research on Tobias Bowles b. 1743 and family. I have some information but looking for additional to confirm his connection. Tobias and Mary had Catherine b. 1781 d. 1781, Leonard b. 1782 d. 1782, Dorothea b. 1783 d. 1783, Charles b. 1784 and Elizabeth b. 1787 d. 1787 all I think all were baptised in Holy Trinity Gosport and were buried in Rowner. I can't find the death for Charles and Mary, his wife, who died by 1792. Tobias worked for the Sick and Hurt Office for seamen. It looks like he spent a few years in Haslar Hospital but the other years in Tower-Hill and Somerset Place, London.

Tobias should have been a very wealthy man but he seems to have given up his business as a sugar refiner and took on a job as a clerk in the Sick and Hurt Office from 1782 - 1786 and 1788 - 1797. I know his brother Leonard was a mariner who changed sides during the American Revolution and might have been captured and sent to Forton prison and landed up in Haslar Hospital. This could explain why Tobias took a position as clerk in Haslar. This would have allowed him a way to look after his brother.

I need help and if needed, I'm willing to pay someone to do research. I have paid for research in Guensey and Hertfordshire and traced my wife's Bowles line back to 1658.

Your help and guidance would be greatly appreciated

Peter
    Peter

My Avatar is Thomas Theodore Bowles 1847-1901, great grand nephew of Tobias Bowles 1743-1798 Gentleman of Chelsea.

Welcome to FTF.

I can see 2 trees on ancestry.co.uk http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/26...04040193/facts and http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/52...91785107/facts with Tobias listed. Might be worth having a look at them and contacting the owners.

There are 5 private trees also http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...SAV=2&uidh=ar6 - again worth a message to each to find out more.

Who is your last Bowles that you are trying to link with?

Margaret

Comment

Hello Margaret,

Thanks for the welcome!

I have a yearly subscription to Ancestry and have tried to get responses from the varies contacts for the trees but nothing from all except one. I shared some of my information about Tobias, Gosport and the Sick & Hurt Office for seamen but she does not want to accept it . I know my facts are correct but looking for additional information. I would like to know where his wife and kids are buried (where in Rowner) and the facts of why he went to work for the Sick and Hurt Office. Did he fail in Business, become a clerk or was it originally all about his brother Leonard the stayed as Clerk until his death in 1798 . This information might only be available in the Gosport, Hampshire Archives or Haslar or Navy records or correspondence in Kew.

FYI, from the Will Tobias Bowles, Gentleman of Chelsea,1792:

I Tobias Bowles late of Rose Street in the parish of St. Anne, Soho In the county of Middlesex but now of Chelsea in the county of Middlesex, Gentleman,...

Note: A Tobias Bowles of Rose Street, Soho is listed as a Sugar Refiner in the 1770's, 1780-1781(Kent's Directories) Leonard Bowles, Will 1768, London Merchant states that...a Sugar House and Dwelling House adjoining thereto now in the occupation of my son Tobias Bowles and Thomas Saunders....

Continued:
      …my hand and seal the eleventh day of February in the year of our lord One Thousand Seven Hundred and Ninety Two Tobias Bowles (LS) Signed Sealed Published and Declared by the said Tobias Bowles the said testator as and for his last will and testament in the presence of us who in his presence at his request and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses Jos. Stewart Sick & Hurt Office Somerset Place London Wm Fisher Do, WMearns Do,

Office for Sick and Wounded Seamen, Department for Prisoners of War, Somerset Place, London, England.
      First Clerk, Tobias Bowles
      Source: The Royal Kalendar or complete and correct annual register for England, Scotland, Ireland and America.
      For the year 1797

To me his Will and the Sick and Hurt records in the Royal Kalendar, London Calendar etc confirm he is the same Tobias Bowles that had Catherine, Leonard, Dorothea, Charles and Elizabeth in Gosport.

It would be great if someone could find a document in Gosport stating Tobias Bowles late of Rose Street, Soho now of Gosport!

Peter
      Peter

My Avatar is Thomas Theodore Bowles 1847-1901, great grand nephew of Tobias Bowles 1743-1798 Gentleman of Chelsea.

Comment

I've found a newspaper cutting dated 22 May 1802 from the Ipswich Journal:

"Monday was married at Brandeston, Mr Crowfoot, surgeon of Framlingham, to Miss Bowles, eldest daughter of the late Tobias Bowles, of Chelsea Esq."
        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Thanks SmallTownGirl,

That was Mary b. November 24, 1778 m. William Henchman Crowfoot. I am also looking to confirm Martha Bowles b. December 8, 1779 married Edward Stephenson Dennison on 29th April 1802.

Peter
          Peter

Comment

London Courier and Evening News, 6 May 1802

"Thursday last, Edward Dennison, Esq, of St Martin's Lane, to Miss Martha Bowles, of Baker St."

STG

Edited to add the link to the certificate on Ancestry

Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 26-03-16, 14:27.

Comment

The Scots Magazine 1 April 1807

"Deaths
              Captain Edward Dennison, of the Verunah East Indiaman; and also his wife and child, a few hours after they landed at Bengal."

STG

Comment

Thanks again!

Yes...the newspapers are a great resource. I see John Thomlinson as witness to the marriage. John Thomlinson was a guardian of Tobias Bowles surviving two daughters Mary and Martha and also an executor of his will. I don't know why the late Tobias Bowles was not mentioned in the newspaper marriage announcement. I really would like to see the marriage record for Mary in Brandeston to see if John Thomlinson was present.

Peter
                Peter

Comment

There's an image on FMP for the burial of

Martha Dennison and child

and another for

Captain Edward Dennison

in October 1806.

Comment

Originally posted by carlp105 View Post

I really would like to see the marriage record for Mary in Brandeston to see if John Thomlinson was present.

Peter
                    I don't know Norfolk at all, but the images of the marriage register for Brandiston are on FS, yet there's no marriage for Mary and William there in 1802, nor anything else coming up as a likely marriage in the county.

I've also tried FreeReg, but no luck there either, but I did find this on Ancestry

STG

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                      I don't know Norfolk at all, but the images of the marriage register for Brandiston are on FS, yet there's no marriage for Mary and William there in 1802, nor anything else coming up as a likely marriage in the county.
                      STG
                      The marriage 17 Apr 1802 appears on Boyds marriage index and on Suffolk Marriage Index. Marriage place Brandeston groom's parish Framlingham.

Brandeston is in Suffolk as opposed to Brandiston in Norfolk.
                      Last edited by JudithM; 26-03-16, 16:38.
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Ah, no wonder I couldn't find them in Norfolk - should have been looking in Suffolk. So, as well as not knowing Norfolk, I don't know Suffolk either :(

Comment

Hi Judith,

That's great, Thanks! How can I get a copy of the marriage record?

Peter
                          Peter

Comment

This book has this reference to the family

spotted John Rustat Crowfoot and the book pulls the family together as

1748 Tobias Rustat bequeaths property to nephews Stephen Hemsted and Tobias Bowles

Martha daughter of Tobias Rustat marries Leonard Bowles whose grandaughter Mary married W. Henchman Crowfoot surgeon Beccles
                            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Have you found the burials on this site?

there's an email address

Elizabeth was at Haslar hospital

Catherine, Leonard, Dorothea and Elizabeth only
                              Last edited by Elaine; 26-03-16, 22:40.
                              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

William Crowfoot and Mary's descendants in the Visitation of England and Wales of 1893

https://archive.org/stream/visitatio...ge/26/mode/2up
                                Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

[/B]Office for Sick and Wounded Seamen, Department for Prisoners of War, Somerset Place, London, England.
                                  First Clerk, Tobias Bowles
                                  Source: The Royal Kalendar or complete and correct annual register for England, Scotland, Ireland and America.
                                  For the year 1797

To me his Will and the Sick and Hurt records in the Royal Kalendar, London Calendar etc confirm he is the same Tobias Bowles that had Catherine, Leonard, Dorothea, Charles and Elizabeth in Gosport.

It would be great if someone could find a document in Gosport stating Tobias Bowles late of Rose Street, Soho now of Gosport!

Peter
                                  The role of First Clerk might have been more like Company Secretary than a basic clerk. If Tobias was in fact living off his means from the Sugar Refinery then he could have such a job - I imagine the organisation was perhaps partly official and partly charitable.

Margaret
                                  Last edited by margaretmarch; 27-03-16, 10:35.

Comment

Hi Judith,

That's great, Thanks! How can I get a copy of the marriage record?

Peter
                                    Either pay someone at Suffolk Records Office to find it and send it to you, or locate a volunteer who will do it for free.

STG

Comment

Charles was baptised on 21 Dec 1784 privately at the Haslar Hospital, then again on 26 Dec 1784 in Alverstoke.

There is an entry for the burial of a Mary Bowls in Fareham St Peter & St Paul on 30 Apr 1790, who might be a possibility.
                                      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Elaine,

Thanks for your help, I will email them.

Peter
                                        Peter

Comment

Working...
                                        X