Friends dad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friends dad

Hiya all, looking for some help in my search for my mates dad, he was called Ronald Brown, born 16/12/1924 in Houghton-le-spring,Durham,died 1963,up to his marriage in 1961 I have not been able to find any information, think that he might of been married before. Any help would be great.

Ron

There's so many Ronald Brown marriages especially in the NE. - Did he remain in Houghton or move?

Have found no births in Dec qtr 1924 for Houghton but 2 registered in Jan qtr 1925.

One of the births has a middle initial P - but looking at the marriage in Durham East (which I think is the right marriage in 1961) doesn't have one.

Think your friend needs to get his father's marriage certificate to ascertain who his grandfather was.

Only thing I could suggest is looking at the electors roll for the address your friend was born at and see when he appeared on it - he may have lived at the same address for many years which would help ascertain if he was living with someone else prior to his marriage for your friend's father.

Sorry but Brown's in that area are a nightmare - I know I have some in Hartlepool and Co Durham but no Ronald's as far as I know.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

suppose you have his birth reg think this would be it as he was born in Dec it was probably registered in Jan the following year
      Ronald Brown
      Birth year 1925
      Birth quarter 1
      Registration month -
      Mother's last name LAWS
      District Houghton Le Spring
      County Durham
      Country England
      Volume 10A
      Page 978

Comment

The 1961 marriage cert ought to say if he was married before - if he told the truth, that is. It should also give the name of his father which might help to eliminate some Ronald Browns.

I doubt if you can do this search without buying some certificates, the name is just too common.

OC

Comment

You'll need certs to find him in the 1939 register too.

Comment

I've found one entry on the 1939 register with the correct dob. living in Doncaster.

There's only a widowed father William Brown born 1 March 1901 a coal hewer who married Margaret Laws b 1904 in Houghton le Spring in Jan qtr 1921 in Houghton le Spring.

Looking at the open siblings

Violet born 12 Jan 1923 in Houghton le Spring
            Ronald born 16 Dec 1924 in Houghton le Spring
            Willie born 20 Mar 1929 in Houghton le Spring
            D**** born 1932 in Houghton le Spring
            A***** born 1935 in Houghton le Spring
            K****** born 1936 in Houghton le Spring.

As William was a widower in 1939 his wife must have died between 1936 and 1939 - nothing is jumping out though.
            Last edited by JBee; 24-03-16, 11:00.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

There is a possible death reg: Margaret Brown Mqtr 1939 Doncaster 9c 989, age at death 36.
              AUDREY

Comment

Yes Val that looks the right one as the other siblings on the 1939 had Laws as their mother's maiden name.

Audrey I only glanced at the deaths but that looks promising.

As OC says the marriage certificate should state whether he was married previously or not but as Kyle says you do need to purchase the certifictes to prove you're following the right family.
                Last edited by JBee; 24-03-16, 11:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  The 1961 marriage cert ought to say if he was married before - if he told the truth, that is. It should also give the name of his father which might help to eliminate some Ronald Browns.

I doubt if you can do this search without buying some certificates, the name is just too common.

OC
                  Been a while since I posted and not responded sorry,the marriage cert says last marriage was dissolved, and his father was William Brown,we have found most of the family and seem to be mainly living in Doncaster.

Ron

Comment

I can't find the death in 1963 Ron. Where did he die?
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                    X