X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Mary Ann die in 1863?

She was born and baptised in 1857 Leicester
    Parents: John (a musician) and Ann Kilby
    She's on th 1861 census with parents and siblings but not on 1871 census.
    Did she die in Q1 1863?
    I've found the burials of 4 of Mary Ann's siblings, buried in the same plot at Welford Road Cemetery, Leic. The earliest of the 4 burials is Oct 1863 for 4mth old Ada ...
    If their sister Mary Ann died in 1863 - then why isn't she buried with them
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

could she be with grandparents?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

no, just checked ... not with grandparents or gt. grandparents

Comment

In service?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Have you tried looking for Polly instead of Mary Ann? My great aunt Polly turned out to really be Mary Ann. (As an aside, we looked for a Martha for years before discovering she used the Scottish nick name of Patty!)
          Cath.

Comment

Thanks for suggestions. I found a marriage in 1874, but not the right Mary.

Not found her after 1861 census (yet).

Comment

Hi Val .... I saw that one but think it unlikely that someone born in the centre of Leicester would say they were born in South Croxton. Its interesting that Edward Swift (son of Ann Swift, 29) was born in South Croxton too.

If Mary Ann died in 1863 - then why isn't she buried with siblings?
              Now wondering if she was buried in city graveyard ???

Comment

just a thought LL could you ring Leicester reg office and see if they can either say yes or no to the death cert if you use an address and or fathers name/occupation? [though I suppose it'll depend on who registered her]

in a workhouse/hospital?

sorry I can't think of much else, I know you said she wasn't with g/parents but could she be with aunts/uncles etc?
                Julie

Comment

I know you said she wasn't with g/parents
                  ... I think when you first made this suggestion I misunderstood! I assumed you meant buried with her grandparents. Now thinking that you probably meant living with/visiting them.

Will have another look for possibility of her being with / visiting relatives.

Thanks

Comment

Is this the one you are referring to?

I didn't read the opening post properly. I would not have thought that she would have automatically been buried with her siblings unless there was a family plot purchased.

Have been searching. Didn't see her with paternal and maternal grandparents after 1861 and looked at a couple of the aunts and uncles.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by LeicestershireLass View Post
                      ... I think when you first made this suggestion I misunderstood! I assumed you meant buried with her grandparents. Now thinking that you probably meant living with/visiting them.

Will have another look for possibility of her being with / visiting relatives.

Thanks
                      sorry LL I should have been more specific, but yes I meant living with and not buried with. :smilee:
                      Julie

Comment

Hi Vera ... yes, that's the Mary Ann death I was referring to.

A family plot was purchased Oct 1863 where 4 of her siblings are buried. The death found was Q1 1863, but I can't find a matching burial in the same cemetery.

Thanks for trying to find her, maybe she was buried in her local church graveyard.
                        Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 25-03-16, 09:20.

Comment

LL the death I posted was Q3 and I believe (not sure) according to Free BDM, she died in September 1863 so it may be that the plot was not purchased in time for her burial.

Welford was the only burial ground in Leicester at that time and had been open quite a while. Is she possibly a mistranscribe. Kilbey/ Kirby?

Vera

Comment

Lass why do you think she died in 1863 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                              Lass why do you think she died in 1863 ?
                              Hi Val ... because I couldn't find her anywhere ... and I was right

Is she possibly a mistranscribe. Kilbey/ Kirby?
                              she was mistranscribed in burial index as Kelly.
                              Don't know why I didn't notice when I looked for the burials of her siblings ... she's in the same plot, so glad she's with them.
                              Many thanks to Vera for her suggestion
                              Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 25-03-16, 16:22.

Comment

oh good glad you found her that Vera is clever she helps me a lot

Comment

learnt a valuable lesson from this .... I usually cross check burials with plot number but on this occasion as I'd found 4 of the same family in the plot I didn't follow up with number check

Comment

Glad you have found her LL I know how much it niggles when you have one 'missing'
                                    Julie

Comment

Glad you found her LL and with siblings too. Some small comfort for the parents that the children lie together I suppose. How they coped then I can't imagine.

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                      X