Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death notice or obit for Peter Ward, died New York 25/11/1969

Hi all,

I am asking if anyone can find a newspaper death notice or an obituary for Peter Ward, who died on 25th November, 1969 in New York, aged 63.
    I have details of where he is buried and there is a picture of his headstone on FindaGrave.com. His wife Agnes Ward was still alive when he died (she died on 5th January 1979) so I am hoping that a death notice was placed or an obituary written.

Thank you.
    Paul.

Ancestry has NY Times obits - did he die in the NYC area?

Comment

Here is his findagrave link if you do not have it already http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...847410&df=all&

Comment

Hi PhotoFamily, I'm sorry, I don't know if he died in New York City. Hi Schube424, thanks for the link.

Paul.

Comment

Ancestry's Historical Newspapers are not showing me anything Peter or Agnes. Long Island is in Queens, a borough of NYC

Comment

Hi PhotoFamily, thanks for taking the time to check.Maybe no death notice was ever placed.

Thanks.

Paul.

Comment

Maybe, but if one was placed, it may have been in a local paper. NY Times was big, remote, and expensive.

You could look for a local public library, or genealogy society - they may know resources. That wikipage probably has the local library, google can help with the other.

Comment

Will do PhotoFamily.
                Regards.
                Paul.

Comment

Hi, I know this is a very old post but was just wondering if anyone can now find a death notice or obituary for Peter Ward or Agnes Ward in newspapers.com
                  I am trying to establish if they had any children together.
                  Thanks.
                  Paul.

Comment

I can see Agnes is also buried with Peter, and that is is a military cemetery. It does say children are eligible also. You could try trawling through all the ward results on there as it states the relationship. sadly can't search by that.

you can search newspapers.com without a sub.

I don't know how US records work, in the UK you can search by Mothers maiden name in some records to find children.

there are some trees on Ancestry that have Agnes married to someone else first with a child, and then married to Peter, was it a second marriage? Are you looking for children from Peter and maybe not Agnes?
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by City Hall View Post
                      ... if anyone can now find a death notice or obituary for Peter Ward or Agnes Ward in newspapers.com
                      I am trying to establish if they had any children together.
                      So, his gravestone indicates that he served in WWII. US entered the war in 1941 - he would have been 35 if he wasn't already in the service.

US census is out thru 1940, with 1950 soon to be name indexed - have you followed him thru the census years? That should reveal his children if he had any.

It's a common enough name - if you want help finding records, please share birthplace and, if applicable, approximate date of immigration.
                      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 15-04-22, 16:06.

Comment

Do you think this is your man? Had he immigrated to the US, and if so, do you know when?
                        Peter Ward
                        abt 1906
                        5 Jun 1941
                        New York, New York
                        New York Southern District
                        and this
                        Peter Ward
                        White
                        Separated, without dependents (Separated)
                        Private
                        Not Yet a Citizen
                        New York, New York
                        Grammar school
                        Doormen
                        4 Sep 1942
                        Fort Jay Governors Island, New York
                        Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
                        Selectees (Enlisted Men)
                        Civil Life
                        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 15-04-22, 16:00.

Comment

this is the listing on the site I mentioned.
                          Result Number Data Description Detail Information
                          Result item number1. WARD, PETER
                          TEC 5 US ARMY
                          WORLD WAR II
                          05/15/1906
                          11/25/1969
                          SECTION 2X SITE 5570
                          LONG ISLAND NATIONAL CEMETERY
                          2040 WELLWOOD AVENUE FARMINGDALE, NY 11735-1211
                          (631) 454-4949
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thank you cbcarolyn and PhotoFamily for your replies and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
                            I have searched for Peter Ward in newspapers.com (without a sub) but didn't find him.
                            The 2 records reproduced by you both certainly refer to 'my' Peter Ward.
                            I searched the 1940 US census but did not find him.
                            PhotoFamily, re the additional info you asked for :
                            He was born on 14/5/1906 to Patrick Ward and Margaret (Gribben) Ward, in County Down, Ireland.(Northern Ireland did not exist then).
                            He emigrated to USA, aged 24,leaving Belfast on 24th May 1930 and arriving in New York on 1st June 1930.
                            His home address in Ireland was Drumnaquoille, Annsboro, County Down and he was going to his Aunt, Miss Catherine Ward, 34? Kingman Road, Somerville, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.
                            Paul

Comment

Despite the variance in some of the details, I suspect that this is your man. It's important to remember how US Census information was collected: an enumerator went to a household, wrote down the information, and submitted the collective work. S/He did not necessarily talk with each resident. In this case, Peter is a lodger, and the Head of household was the informant (hence the circled-X by that name). The informant may not have had all of Peter's information (e.g., DOB/age) and "E Ireland" may have been miswritten by the enumerator (instead of N Ireland - which was often recorded in the US census in 1940 for those born in Counties that were became part of Northern Ireland). Grade Level and Elevator Operator/Apt House would be consistent with the enlistment record above. He's listed as single, but again, it's only what the informant knew about him, and may be consistent with the "Separated" status in the enlistment record

https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui...47b242eda98227
                              Peter Ward
                              abt 1903
                              Male
                              White
                              E Ireland
                              Single
                              Lodger
                              New York, New York, New York
                              West 95th Street
                              New York, New York, New York
                              New York
                              Alien
                              5A
                              Eler Oper
                              Apt House
                              No
                              Elementary school, 8th grade
                              Wage or salary worker in private work
                              No

Comment

I will say - that enumerator seemed to consistently use "E Ireland" over many pages, and on one page, used "No Ireland" - so maybe E Ireland meant Eire Ireland? Regardless, it was the head of household who was the informant, and Peter was a lodger, so I still think it's possibly your man.

Comment

Have you traced Catherine Ward, and looked for her obit? You could hope that her obit could mention Peter.
                                  Maybe? in the Massachusetts, U.S., Death Index, 1901-1980
                                  Catherine Ward
                                  A Cloran Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
                                  Unfortunately, both her DC and Peter Ward's would require the purchase of the cert, and might be subject to privacy laws (vary by state).
                                  Last edited by PhotoFamily; 16-04-22, 20:02.

Comment

Originally posted by City Hall View Post
                                    Thank you cbcarolyn and PhotoFamily for your replies and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
                                    I have searched for Peter Ward in newspapers.com (without a sub) but didn't find him.
                                    The 2 records reproduced by you both certainly refer to 'my' Peter Ward.
                                    I searched the 1940 US census but did not find him.
                                    PhotoFamily, re the additional info you asked for :
                                    He was born on 14/5/1906 to Patrick Ward and Margaret (Gribben) Ward, in County Down, Ireland.(Northern Ireland did not exist then).
                                    He emigrated to USA, aged 24,leaving Belfast on 24th May 1930 and arriving in New York on 1st June 1930.
                                    His home address in Ireland was Drumnaquoille, Annsboro, County Down and he was going to his Aunt, Miss Catherine Ward, 34? Kingman Road, Somerville, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.
                                    Paul
                                    the crossing record says he has a wife Annie Ward? Not sure what that means, did he ever marry Agnes? or just presumed man and wife

Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Hmm.
                                      There's a Peter Ward, age 19, Soldier, national Army, marrying Annie McCarthy in Dublin in 1925, his father Patrick, Farmer
                                      https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....44/5307394.pdf

Could be that they married, he immigrated and she didn't follow, and hence he is "separated" in the enlistment record.
                                      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 17-04-22, 05:47.

Comment

cbcarolyn, Peter Ward definitely had a pregnant partner and a son when he left Ireland for USA in 1930. I say partner and not wife because from 1922 when he would have been 16 years old, until 1930 when he emigrated, I can find no marriage in Northern Ireland (https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/) for a Peter Ward marrying a girl called Ann, Anne, Annie etc.
                                        PhotoFamily, the Irish soldier aged 19 marrying Annie McCarthy in 1925 is a great find but unfortunately we have no way of knowing if he is the correct person.

I think I have taken up enough of both your times, and intend to now let this matter rest.
                                        Thank you both for your time and help.

Paul.

Comment

Working...
                                        X