Need your opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your opinion

I believe I have found a match for my grandfather in the census records, but I would like some other opinion.

Everything matches up, except the middle name. On my mother`s birth cert, it says her fathers name is James JOSEPH Cunningham.

This match is James FRANCIS Cunningham.

I would normally rule this match out, but after research, he lived a few doors down (116 Dudley Street, my grandmother lived at 128 Dudley Street, Philadelphia)
    from my grandmother in 1930 & 1940. My mom was born in 1941.

So my question is - could this just be a coincidence, or is the birth certificate wrong and his middle name is Francis? Is this him? And let me add that they were never married - it is doubtful he was even AT the birth of my mother.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Schube424; 13-03-16, 16:59.

If your grandmother registered the birth of her daughter without the co-operation of the father it seems entirely possible that she might have made a mistake about his middle name. I don't know anything about birth registration in Pennsylvania. Does the Registrar (or whoever) just take the mother's word about who the father is?
    Last edited by webwiz; 13-03-16, 17:26.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

The person doing the Census probably wrote down the wrong middle name, that happened all the time ... I have found a number of mistakes made by Census takers in my own research ... I believe you have definitely found the person you were looking for ...

Comment

If the same middle name was of numerous Census records then you grandmother was probably mistaken about his middle name... either way I think you found your grandfather...

Comment

Working...
        X