A shilling apiece in 1716

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A shilling apiece in 1716

I'm transcribing a will from 1716, a brother, half brother and 12 nephews and nieces are left a shilling apiece. Was this just sticking two fingers up at his family or would they have been grateful for that sum? Everything else went to his wife & sole Executrix other than 5 shillings apiece to his dear friend Christopher Foard of Sutton and John Charman of Pulborough for "aiding & assisting" his executrix.

Probate was 1716, this will was made 1701.

Comment

It depends on how much he left but I would think that it was a reasonable amount in those days. Also the wife needed to live comfortably and they'd probably inherit what's left when she died as no children are mentioned.
      Last edited by JBee; 12-03-16, 10:07.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I think it was customary (if not actual law!) to leave a shilling to relatives, normally your children but I suppose other kinship. this was to avoid a dispute over the will - "He ought to have left me something, he forgot".

I have a will from 1556 in which the deceased leaves his wife and all his children quite a lot of stuff "but to my son Christopher I leave one shilling as he has already cost me one guinea to bring him back into the country".

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          I have a will from 1556 in which the deceased leaves his wife and all his children quite a lot of stuff "but to my son Christopher I leave one shilling as he has already cost me one guinea to bring him back into the country".

OC
          One guinea was a tidy sum back then! Thankyou ladies, seems like they would have looked upon kind uncle John kindly for having left them perhaps the equivalent of a dinner out somewhere. Unfortunately he isn't the direct ancestor I had hoped, but as his part of Sussex is riddled with Harwoods I will sent the transcript to SFHG and Sussex OPC as he names his brother's and sister's childrens so it may be of help to other people.

Comment

I remember once being told that if a person was left a shilling then it stopped them from disputing the will as they were a beneficiary.

Edna

Comment

Thanks Edna. Some of them got a shilling and some got twelve pence!
              Last edited by Jill on the A272; 14-03-16, 05:34.

Comment

Working...
              X