No address on Marriage certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No address on Marriage certificate

I have found a marriage certificate for William Green and Elizabeth Mary Collicott for September 20th 1902. It does not have an address for William but says
    P of St Martin Kennington. I wonder if anyone can give an opinion of why there is no address.
    Also his father is Henry Green and says he is a farmer however on Williams baptism it says Henry is a traveller.

Any ideas please
    Ann

A lot of my marriage certificates don't have a proper address, just the name of a village, or as in this case a parish. Does the bride have a proper address? If so maybe he didn't want to admit to it or maybe he was 'of no fixed abode'.
    Occupations can very quite a lot and specially on marriage certs. In the time between William's batism and his marriage he could easily have changed from a traveller. 'Farmer' might mean he rented a small field and kept a pig on it!
    Anne

Comment

Looking at other entries on the surrounding pages it seems the vicar only recorded full address for those who lived in hisparish. For others he recorded P (short for parishioner?) of and then named the parish in which they lived.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you both very much. I did wonder if he put farmer so nobody knew he was a traveller.
        Regards
        Ann

Comment

Traveller in 1902 wouldn't have meant what it means today.

My grandfather was a traveller - he was a commercial traveller and went round grocers' shops taking orders for tinned fruit, lol.

Today's expression "traveller" to mean someone who lives an itinerant lifestyle is a new one, about 30 years old.

OC

Comment

Ah, yes, good point OC. It had not occurred to me that Golden had not realised that. Wondered why she thought it needed to be hidden. Lesson to self: never make assumptions!
            Anne

Comment

Thank you all. You are correct. I did not realise the difference in Travellers.
              Regards
              Ann

Comment

Working...
              X