No announcement yet.

Can we find descendants of GH . 863 - S - PTE - J . C . SULLIVAN - Medal found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we find descendants of GH . 863 - S - PTE - J . C . SULLIVAN - Medal found

On my facebook page today :

PLEASE SHARE! And get your friends to share! I would love to get this medal to the man's family. I dug it up in my garden in Wigmore, Kent. John Charles Sullivan.

GH . 863 - S - PTE - J . C . SULLIVAN . R . M . L . TPrivate CH/863(S), 1st (Royal Marine) Battalion, Royal Marine Light Infantry. Royal Naval Division. Died 23rd November 1916 aged 21 years. Born Gillingham. Son of Mr and Mrs Sullivan of 13 May Terrace, Old Brompton, Kent. Buried Etaples Military Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France. Grave reference XX.B.8

12800248_10205671937586858_639233647444736653_n.jpg

12814325_10205671937346852_2070181604477572227_n.jpg
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

here is a parents name

First name(s) John Charles
    Last name Sullivan
    Birth year -
    Birth day -
    Birth month -
    Death year 1916
    Death day 23
    Death month 11
    Service number CH/863/S
    Rank Private
    Regiment or service 1st Royal Marine Bn.
    Fate Died of wounds at 2.45am in 22nd General Hospital Camiers (GSW Head, fractured Skull 13/11/16)
    Service branch Royal Marine Light Infantry
    Service history Draft for MEF 5/12/15, joined 1st RM Bn. 26/1/16-14/8/16 Trench Fever, rejoined 1st RM Bn. 3/10/16-13/11/16 wounded.
    Awards -
    Commemoration Etaples Military Cemetery (FR 40)
    Notes Son of Marion Lousia Sullivan, 11 Manor St., Old Brompton, Chatham, Kent, later of: 13 May Terrace, Old Brompton, Kent. Native of Gillingham, Kent ; ADM/171 = St.V.B. issued to Universal Legatee.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-03-16, 20:49.

Comment

Chatham News 24 Nov 1939.JPG

a newspaper cutting mentioning him

Comment

There's a John Charles SULLIVAN, b 1895q4 in Bromley, Kent.

But the Medway CityArk site has images for Parish Registers freely available online. If you go down that route, yourself, do get back to me. I already have a quantity of info which might (possibly) save a bit of searching (browsing) time.

His naval record gives a DoB of 4 Oct 1895 - it also says he was RC, so his baptism record won't show up on the CityArk site at the moment - that's all CofE, I believe (at the moment, anyway).

In 1901, the family is in Church St, Gillingham: RG13/733 fo 17 p 3: William 26 (Gillingham), "Mary" Louisa 29 (Walton, SFK), William Geo 7 (New Brompton), John Chas 5 (Bromley) and Philip Hy 2 (Gillingham).

There's a death for William SULLIVAN, aged 73, in 1847q1 Chatham.
        It looks as if Philip Henry d 1961q1 in Chatham, aged 62. A possible marriage for him in 1947q3 in Dartford. And William George d 1902q1 Medway, aged 8.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

That cutting suggests that there's more family than I had spotted - assuming that I had even found the right family.

The marriage of Winifred M A SULLIVAN to Mr DEANE, is in Canterbury, 1932q2.
          She was b 1908q2, Medway. ... Surely I must be able to find them in 1911!

C
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 08-03-16, 21:37.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There seems to be just one son born to Winifred and her husband that name combination - in 1933 Canterbury.
            There's a possible marriage of that son in Sept 2001 in the City of London - to a wife with an unusual surname. There are no additional records for the wife with her new surname, but she does appear on the 2014 electoral roll under her maiden name in the same place as the son is.
            There are Electoral Roll entries in the range 2002-2014 for the son's name, in London and Surrey and Dorset, and then in Sussex - though the last one has the wrong age-range altogether... the same age as the wife (an error?).
            If you websearch her name, she appears to work in the legal profession - which could explain why she has opted to retain her distinctive maiden name. She was admitted as a Liveryman of the City of London Solicitors' Company in 2008. I can't find such current info about the son, in the same way.

Comment

I cannot find any of them in 1911 ?

Comment

Christine dont know if you have looked on FB? but it seems they are having lots of responses, so maybe we could be wasting our time?

Comment

Working...
                X