Registers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registers

Can any one give advice as to how to use the Phillimore Marriage Registers in Find my Past. Do I have to go a page at a time until I reach the right year. Because this will take for ever ??

Originally posted by Vanessa Cartwright View Post
    Can any one give advice as to how to use the Phillimore Marriage Registers in Find my Past. Do I have to go a page at a time until I reach the right year. Because this will take for ever ??
    I just tried it and it is not indexed by individual years so I think you have to look at each page offered to see if the one you want is included.

Have you tried elsewhere to find the record?

Margaret

Comment

Although not indexed by years it is indexed by name and parish so should not take for ever even if the name is common. If you know both names first enter one with as many details as you can, then in another browser tab do a search on the second name and then compare results on the two tabs looking for a match. This won't work very well if Smith marries Brown. If you only know one name and it is common and you don't even know the county then it will be a long job.
      Last edited by webwiz; 06-03-16, 17:22.
      People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
      Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Thank you I didn't think there was an easy way. I can't see the point of Findmypast putting them in if it is going to be long winded effort to use them. Ah well. Thank you for your replies !! ;)

Comment

I am sorry but this post shows what is wrong with genealogy today, I am using this post as an example of what can happen rather than explicitly pointing at the OP
          People in general just can't be bothered to research any more and expect answers to be supplied on a plate.

It also explains why there are so many incorrect trees on the likes of Ancestry because people simply accept the answers that pop up on screen rather than building a full picture of the by viewing the registers page by page and working out relationships.

Pre 1837 marriage registers in isolation can not be relied upon to build a picture of a family as without looking at the baptism and burial registers as well one does not know if the correct person is the subject of the marriage or whether in fact the person assumed to be marrying died in childhood or married a few years earlier or later.

Researchers need to use the registers of baptisms, marriages and burials in conjunction with each other and other records to build a picture of the family and families of the same name in the parish and district.

How many Elizabeth BLOGGS are there in the area?
          How many Elizabeth BLOGGS are single or widows and therefore eligible to marry?
          Did the family of a particular Elizabeth BLOGG baptise their children soon after birth or were baptisms haphazard or even non existent?
          Did a particular Elizabeth BLOGG die in childhood?
          Was a particular Elizabeth BLOGG buried in a family plot in her maiden name a few years after an assumed marriage?
          Did the family of a particular Elizabeth BLOGG move from the parish possibly ruling her out of the equation?
          Does a particular Elizabeth BLOGG turn up in a census as unmarried (with or without children) caring for one of her parents?
          Did a particular Elizabeth BLOGG marry or does/do she and her child/children turn in a will years later as a spinster and her child/children?

The above are just a few of the questions to ask whilst browsing through registers and other records page by page rather than simply typing in a name and accepting an answer.
          If the name is a popular one in the parish a number of family groupings or mini trees may have to be compiled to eliminate the prospects.

Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I agree with Guy. The internet is all very well, indeed it's a wonderful tool for finding where original records are, and sometimes even for looking at film of those original records - but nothing beats a good old trawl through a complete register, especially when you have reached back to the 1837 gateway.

I have a John Green in my tree. internet research proved confusing, too many men of the same name in the same parish - and how did I know he stayed in the parish of his birth? There appeared to be three candidates (three marriages). Two of the marriages appeared to be to the SAME woman, but 45 years apart........it was only when I looked at the original registers that I was able to work out that I was dealing with only one man, not father, son and grandson as I had thought. He married 3 times and wives one and three had the same name (common in the area).Burials and Monumental inscriptions then proved the timeline.

It would have been impossible to reconstruct this family just by using isolated, unrelated records.

OC

Comment

To be fair the OP was only asking if she had missed a quicker way!!
              Anne

Comment

Anne

Yes indeed...and Guy pointed out he wasn't having a go at the OP, merely making a general research observation that quick isn't always the best method of research!

OC

Comment

Thank you for the lecture but I have been researching long enough to know that there is no quick fix, and there would be no fun in it if it were just "handed on a plate".
                  I merely wanted to know about the Phillimore registers on Find my Past and how they should be used. I did not expect my post to be used as an example along with such a patronising reply,

Comment

My most humble apologies Vanessa. My comments were not intended to be patronising.

OC

Comment

Vanessa maybe somebody can help you if you put the name on here

Comment

Thank you for the lecture but I have been researching long enough to know that there is no quick fix, and there would be no fun in it if it were just "handed on a plate".
                        I merely wanted to know about the Phillimore registers on Find my Past and how they should be used. I did not expect my post to be used as an example along with such a patronising reply,
                        You are posting on an open forum (i.e. a place where people are free to discuss subjects raised).
                        Posts are archived and people in years to come may view this thread to get an answer to a similar question where the mechanics of searching the database may have changed but the principles remain the same.

Your profile gives no indication of your experience or lack of experience we are not mind readers and can only reply according to what is revealed to us.
                        Your post stated-

Two questions and a comment about the time it would take to research page by page.

I answered both of your two questions but ignored the mechanics of searching for and viewing specific pages of the database because that depends on what you use to access the database (computer, tablet, phone) and to some extent where you access the database (home, library, LDS FHC).
                        In addition you asked “Can any one give advice as to how to use the Phillimore Marriage Registers” not how to access the registers two different questions.

Your second question was more specific but I explained why it is best practice to view page by page rather than jump to “the right year”.
                        Specifically because jumping to the right year is the best way to follow the wrong family.

I am sorry if you feel the replies were patronising, but often replies are aimed at forum users in general rather than the individual who raised the topic.

Cheers
                        Guy
                        Last edited by Guy; 08-03-16, 07:04.
                        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Sorry OC my annoyance was directed to Guy not you - so it's my turn to apologise to you. I should have addressed it to him - he obviously hasn't picked it up.

Comment

Working...
                          X