Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 records

Can they be accessed.

My best friend was adopted and we have her father's name, very unusual, and know that he was in the RAF stationed at Falmouth in WW2

Many thanks

Linda

Sorry am a bit confused (nothing new there, then, eh?). Do you mean:

- that her father's name was very unusual?
    - or that to have the father's name was very unusual?
    - his RAF service records? Because if so, you'll need to apply and pay for them (linky thing somewhere in the Resources) AND prove a family connection.

STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

I am fairly sure that WW2 RAF records can only be accessed by the next of kin - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        I am fairly sure that WW2 RAF records can only be accessed by the next of kin - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

OC
        Yes, it is next of kin and costs £30. If she can show she is a daughter then she is a next of kin, doesn't have to be the one named on any other documents.
        Margaret

Comment

I though that once you were legally adopted, then technically your birth parents no longer were your next of kin. And conversely, an adopted out birth child no longer had a right to make a claim on you or your estate.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

JAY

Yes, you are correct and a child adopted out of the family as in this case, is NOT considered next of kin, or any kin at all, which is what I meant in post #3 above - but I did not actually put that, lol.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              JAY

Yes, you are correct and a child adopted out of the family as in this case, is NOT considered next of kin, or any kin at all, which is what I meant in post #3 above - but I did not actually put that, lol.

OC
              Sorry I was forgetting the adoption bit :(
              Margaret

Comment

Even with next of kin, it can be tricky obtaining the records, at least it was when I applied for my father's naval records in 2000. Strictly speaking next of kin after my parents were my eldest brother (deceased) but then his children and grandchildren had next of kin staus over me, but I got over that one by saying I had no knowledge of them. The next of kin after that was my other brother, still alive at that point and I had to argue with the powers that be that my older living sibling was not interested in family history and that we were not in communication. Several letters passed between us before I was eventually given the records but it was quite a tussle to obtain them. In the end I just wrote a stiff letter maintaining I had equal rights to my father's records as did my brother. I was prepared to take it further if I did not get the records,as I was so angry at the time,but they did relent in the end. I am not sure if they have relemted on these hard line attitudes they had when I applied.

Janet

Comment

I would think one of the documents one would have to submit to prove kinship would be a birth certificate? In the case for the person at the top of the thread, presumably her birth certificate will have had the word "adopted" added to it?

Janet, I know of other people who have also had a struggle to get the records of a parent - one was a contact who, although the only child of a first marriage, had become estranged from the subsequent step-mother and later half-siblings. His application was refused at first as the documents had already been released to "the next of kin," the eldest child of the much later second marriage. Contact managed to get them in the end because after a lengthy correspondence, there was reference to the first wife (contact's mother) somewhere in the documentation.

Jay
                  Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 06-03-16, 12:04.
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

In my experience things have moved on since 2000 and are more unofficially relaxed. Any member of the public can have the full record if the subject died more than 25 years ago. For more recent death an abridged record can be provided to anyone. As regards next of kin status it's best just to prove your own relationship and not complicate matters by mentioning siblings or others. They do not have the time or resources to run checks. It should also be borne in mind that the MOD are currently in discussion regarding the procedures and timetable for releasing these records to the National Archives. Attitudes may vary slightly between each of the service record offices.

Get military records of service for the Royal Navy (including Royal Marines), British Army and Royal Air Force - who can apply, how long it takes, cost, how to apply.

Comment

Working...
                    X