One Harry or Two ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Harry or Two ?

I've got a birth certificate from 1883 for a Thomas Harry Asher of Nottingham (apparently always called Harry by the family). His father is given as Louis Harry Asher. Am I correct in thinking that this Louis Harry Asher is the same person as the Harry Asher listed on his childhood census records as born in Birmingham c 1855, but having (& living with) his parents Jacob & Elizabeth Asher in Nottm ?
    (On one of the census records he is at his grandmother's (also Elizabeth/Betsy Asher) in Nottm.)

Bit fogged up with departing flu, so would welcome another pair of eyes before I steam off in the wrong direction.

Marriage 30-8-1877 Louis Henry Asher and Winifred Wallis at Sneinton ,St Stephen
    Baptisms same Church, Parents Harry and Winifred Asher abode 75 Manvers Rd father a paver
    20-1-1888 Alice
    23-4-1888 Archibald Wallace
    23-4-1888 Ethel
    23-4-1888 Harry
    23-4-1888 Hilda

Name: Louis Henry Asher
    Registration Year: 1857
    Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
    Registration district: Radford
    Inferred County: Nottinghamshire
    Volume: 7b
    Page: 180
    So not born Birmingham.

Comment

Name: Lewis Harry Asher
      Estimated Birth Year: abt 1858
      Registration Year: 1904
      Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
      Age at Death: 46
      Registration district: Nottingham
      Inferred County: Nottinghamshire
      Volume: 7b
      Page: 163

Comment

1871 Bentick St Sneinton Class: RG10; Piece: 3504; Folio: 65; Page: 37; GSU roll: 839744
        William Asher 54 road asphalter b Ruddington
        Elizabeth Asher 52 b Nottingham
        Kate Asher 15
        Lewis H Asher 13
        Elizabetta Thorpe 20
        Mark Thorpe 23
        Last edited by larkspur; 04-03-16, 10:10.

Comment

apparently an Asphalt road layer is a Paviour- I learn something new every day
          Last edited by larkspur; 04-03-16, 10:13.

Comment

1861, Manvers St Sneinton. Class: RG 9; Piece: 2451; Folio: 23; Page: 5; GSU roll: 542973

William Asher 44 Asphalt road maker b Nottingham
            Elizabeth Asher 41 Bonnet maker b Nottingham
            Thomas Asher 16 Asphalt road maker
            Elizabeth Asher 10
            Kate Asher 5
            Lewis Henry Asher 3

Comment

1891 Class: RG12; Piece: 2704; Folio: 99; Page: 21; GSU roll: 6097814
              Henry Asher is a road asphalter, so learned his trade from his pa.

1881 Class: RG11; Piece: 3346; Folio: 63; Page: 36; GSU roll: 1341798
              He was a road asphalter employing 1 man

"I've got a birth certificate from 1883 for a Thomas Harry Asher of Nottingham (apparently always called Harry by the family). His father is given as Louis Harry Asher."
              What was the occupation of his father on the birth certificate?
              Last edited by larkspur; 04-03-16, 10:29.

Comment

Originally posted by larkspur View Post
                apparently an Asphalt road layer is a Paviour- I learn something new every day
                When I were but a lass 50 odd years ago, the huge machine that laid the tarmac/ashphalt was called a paviour and the name was written in big letters up the side. Not sure if Paviour was a company or the model name of the machinery. Daddy was a roadman.

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
                  I've got a birth certificate from 1883 for a Thomas Harry Asher of Nottingham (apparently always called Harry by the family). His father is given as Louis Harry Asher. Am I correct in thinking that this Louis Harry Asher is the same person as the Harry Asher listed on his childhood census records as born in Birmingham c 1855, but having (& living with) his parents Jacob & Elizabeth Asher in Nottm ?
                  (On one of the census records he is at his grandmother's (also Elizabeth/Betsy Asher) in Nottm.)

Bit fogged up with departing flu, so would welcome another pair of eyes before I steam off in the wrong direction.

You have quoted 1883 as the date on the certificate and then 1855 as the information on the census.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                    You have quoted 1883 as the date on the certificate and then 1855 as the information on the census.

Margaret
                    Margaret, Grey has the birth cert of Thomas H Asher born 1883 and is wondering if the Harry Asher born 1855 is one and the same as Thomas' father Louis Harry as named on the birth cert.
                    Looks like Larkspur has found good matches for Louis/Lewis Henry/Harry Asher born 1857 Radford Notts, on a run of censuses which seem to rule out the Harry Asher born Birmingam. Will be interested to see what Grey says when she recovers from the flu and is able to take in Larkspurs posts.
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Working...
                    X