No announcement yet.

Transported for stealing 1lb of sugar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transported for stealing 1lb of sugar.

According to the Dorset County chronicle, BNA site, in December 1826 F. Hudlestone of Bath married Ann Hiles the 4th daughter of William Hiles of Stroudwater. I think that this is Frederick Huddlestone, b. ca 1803 who seems to have had a somewhat checkered career. He had been sentenced to death in 1824 for burglary, but this was later commuted to 18 months hard labour. In 1835 he was sentenced to 7 years transportation for Larceny, and subsequently sent out in 1836 on the Strathfield Saye.

Is there any way of finding out whether Ann followed him, as I cannot find her anywhere. Frederick seems to have stayed in Australia after serving his sentence.

Thanks
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
    According to the Dorset County chronicle, BNA site, in December 1826 F. Hudlestone of Bath married Ann Hiles the 4th daughter of William Hiles of Stroudwater. I think that this is Frederick Huddlestone, b. ca 1803 who seems to have had a somewhat checkered career. He had been sentenced to death in 1824 for burglary, but this was later commuted to 18 months hard labour. In 1835 he was sentenced to 7 years transportation for Larceny, and subsequently sent out in 1836 on the Strathfield Saye.

Is there any way of finding out whether Ann followed him, as I cannot find her anywhere. Frederick seems to have stayed in Australia after serving his sentence.

Thanks
    There is a record in find my past of an Annie Huddlestone Queensland Land Orders 1861-1874 Transcription 1863
    Joy

Comment

Thanks Joy, will see if that has more info.
      Linda

Comment

If you have Anne's birth year and you know where her husband was sent, you may be able to search the bmds for that state and might find a death. Most eastern states record parents names on deaths if known.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          If you have Anne's birth year and you know where her husband was sent, you may be able to search the bmds for that state and might find a death. Most eastern states record parents names on deaths if known.
          Unfortunately no deaths for Ann in NSW, Vic or Queensland.
          Linda

Comment

Frederick got his ticket of leave in 1842 and was in Liverpool NSW. He went back to goal in 1859 in NSW for 14 days being of unsound mind. Can't find anything else.

Tora
            Last edited by Tora; 04-03-16, 08:00.

Comment

She may have stayed in england, or died in tasmania. Civil registration began in 1855 in most states here.

Comment

Thanks for the help, she does seem to not want to be found!
                Linda

Comment

Frederick Brice HUDDLESTON married Laura WILHELMI, BATHURST, NEW SOUTH WALES,1848; Frederick Brice HUDDLESTON’s parent’s were Richard and Elizabeth.
                  Frederick Brice HUDDLESTON died, aged 78, 17th April, 1878, 4 Pleasant Terrace, Botany Road, REDFERN, 7th & last surviving son of Richard HUDDLESTON Esq., staff surgeon in the British Army.
                  Frederick Brice HUDDLESTON’s widow Laura HUDDLESTON (recorded as HUDDLETON) re-married 29th March, 1880 to James JAYE.
                  James JAYE was a widowed convict who died in 1890.
                  A Richard HUDDLESTON married Elizabeth NASH, SOMERSET, ENGLAND 26th February, 1793. Richard died 1806, Elizabeth appears to have died in 1851.
                  An Ann HUDDLESTON(E), convicted at YORK, was transported in 1802.

Comment

Thanks Caddie, I think that looks promising about Frederick, as I think his parents were Richaed and Elizabeth. I'm away from home at the moment but will check it all out when I get home. The reference to the Nash family is very interesting as another member of the Hiles family married a Nash. Be interesting to see if it is the same family, maybe there was more connections.

The Ann Huddlestone from York is a bit too early to be my Ann.

Thanks very much for looking.
                    Linda

Comment

Working...
                    X