Clear All

• Help with baptism image

Can anyone help decipher this image please
    Attached Files

Possibly something like -
    28 Anne of ??????? Giffany u Mary Gilbert M? ??? Moragane? Susan A White
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks Chrissie,hoping this is baptism of my GG grandmother Anne Giffney.All I know is her father was Bartholomew Giffney & mother was Mary (possibly Gilbert). I am assuming the last two names on the record are witnesses.
      Paul

Comment

After a closer look I think it most likely is yours Paul. After Anne of - it look like Nartholing?Nartholley? Giffeny, which could easily be Bartholemew in old writing I imagine. I also think the other two are witnesses and the first one looks like Jack Morrigan, followed by Susan White.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

You don't usually have witnesses at baptisms.
          The image is not large enough for me to be able to see, but could additional names be those of godparents/sponsors? Was it a C of E, RC or Non-con event?
          What date? (Some registers, over a short time span, gave additional info re parents' parents.)

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

After reading the other replies, it does look like "Barthollimy" to . I agree with Jay, sponsors would normally only be given for a Catholic baptism, although some other non-con churches did list sponsors.

OC

Comment

Thanks all,looks like it might be my Anne,however I have nothing else to prove it one way or the other.Thanks OC & Janet the 2 names must be sponsors/godparents.
              Paul

Comment

The sponsors/godparents are frequently shown in the Irish PR images (which I think this is?) They are always horribly written and slightly Latinised as well, like the above.

Comment

Two names would suggest RC sponsors. Church of England ceremony usually has 3 godparents (or more) - 2 of the same sex as the child, 1 of the opposite sex.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                  X