Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lostbox, on Facebook, has a Project which might intrigue you! ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lostbox, on Facebook, has a Project which might intrigue you! ...

If you look here:
    Lostbox, UK. Отметки "Нравится": 69 973 · Обсуждают: 1 011. The UK’s largest online #lost and #found service. Reuniting your lost items and pets by the speed and reach of social media. @LostboxUK...

You'll get all the detail.

I've already said that the level of activity here, combined with all the expertise, makes it a good place to share this with...
    Lostbox added 5 new photos.

Published by Clare Owen · 1 hr ·

Exciting find for the Northern Relic Hunters Metal Detecting Forum. They now need your help to reunite these dog tags with the families of the servicemen. They were found on a recent search in the North East!
    Can you help with the search? These dog tags - which are thought to pre-date WW2 - were found near Richmond, (North Yorkshire).
    Four sets of dog tags were found by Ian on his very first search. For the last few weeks, Ian has found out the following….
    Major Ian Alister KENNEDY - Service Number 459280 (Intelligence Corps), Kings Own Border Regiment based at Humbleton Camp from 1959 onwards.
    Lieutenant Colonel John Robert HODGES, OBE - Service Number 451264. He was later promoted to Major General, and served with the Kings Own Border Regiment too. Hodges was mentioned in the 1990 New Years Honours List.
    Lieutenant Colonel W K BAZETT - Service Number 403386
    Lieutenant Colonel D J MARTIN - Service Number 112896
    The four were all highly ranked but how the tags came to be together is a mystery. Can you help Ian find these service men or their families? We would love the families to have this piece of their family history back.
    PLEASE SHARE!
    (Via CO)

I think it's just the sort of thing we could make a really good job of!
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 01-03-16, 00:12.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

BAZETT WILLIAM K — — 1962 England & Wales marriages 1837-2008 Winchester, Hampshire, England

Bazett William K — — 2002-13 UK electoral registers 2002-2014 Dursley, Gloucestershire, England
    Transcription
    Bazett William Kyffin 1929 — 1929 British India Office births & baptisms Quetta,St Mary, Bengal
    Transcription
    BAZETT W 1860 — 1900 Passenger Lists leaving UK 1890-1960 Montreal, Canada
    Transcription
    BAZETT W — — 1903 Passenger Lists leaving UK 1890-1960 Wellington, New Zealand
    Transcription
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 01-03-16, 01:05.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Following on from Kat's finds on William Bazett. According to this probate record he died two years ago:

Surname First name  Date of probate Probate number  Date of death  Document type Registry
      BAZETT WILLIAM KYFFIN 10 July 2014 4331645 21 March 2014 Grant and will Oxford

Address of Deceased: Stinchcombe Manor Care Centre, Stinchcombe, Gloucestershire (Previously Hobbs Orchard, Silver Street, Coaley, Gloucestershire...

Deceased Estates
      Details of the deceased
      Surname:Bazett
      First name:William
      Middle name(s):Kyffin
      Date of death: 21 March 2014
      Last address of the deceased
      Person Address DetailsStinchcombe Manor Care Centre, Stinchcombe, Gloucestershire (Previously Hobbs Orchard, Silver Street, Coaley, Gloucestershire)
      Details of the Executor/Administrator
      Executor/Personal Representative:WSP LLP Solicitors, 26 Long Street, Dursley, Gloucestershire GL11 4JA. (names removed)
      Last edited by Richard in Perth; 01-03-16, 02:22.

Comment

His wife (Mary Spilman Marsden) also died - sadly the day before William:

Address of Deceased: Stinchcombe Manor Care Centre, Stinchcombe, Gloucestershire (Previously Hobbs Orchard, Silver Street, Coaley, Gloucestershire...

Deceased Estates
        Details of the deceased
        Surname:Bazett
        First name:Mary
        Middle name(s):Spilman
        Date of death: 20 March 2014
        Last address of the deceased
        Person Address Details
        Stinchcombe Manor Care Centre, Stinchcombe, Gloucestershire (Previously Hobbs Orchard, Silver Street, Coaley, Gloucestershire)
        Details of the Executor/Administrator
        Executor/Personal Representative:WSP LLP Solicitors, 26 Long Street, Dursley, Gloucestershire GL11 4JA. (JDB and JFP)

Edit to remove names of executors as they are probably still living (to see them, click on link to the Gazette notice). Sorry can't edit previous post so mods will have to do that one!

The female executor was born a Marsden in 1971 so maybe she was a niece - implying that William & Mary perhaps didn't have surviving children of their own?
        Last edited by Richard in Perth; 01-03-16, 02:45.

Comment

Easy to find the female executor - Google her name, she works for the same solicitors that handled the estates (WSP). Also, the "P" of WSP is the same name as the male executor above! I would think she would be the best person to contact if your original poster wanted to return the dog tag to family. Might just be coincidence that her maiden name was the same as Mary's maiden name, but more likely they were related I would guess.

Well that's the easy surname done - as for the other names (Kennedy, Hodges & Martin) they could be a tad more difficult. Especially Martin if you only have initials not the full given names!

Comment

This one's a possible only. I can't find anyone with the exact ALISTER spelling for the middle name as in the OP. There are lots of Ian A Kennedy's around though:

Australian Electoral rolls:

NAME: Ian Allister Kennedy
            ELECTORAL YEAR: 1954
            SUBDISTRICT: Malvern West
            STATE: Victoria
            DISTRICT: Higgins

NAME: Ian Allister Kennedy
            ELECTORAL YEAR: 1980
            SUBDISTRICT: Blackburn South
            STATE: Victoria
            DISTRICT: Chrisholm

Find death notices, funeral notices, obituaries and legal/probate notices in Australian newspapers.

KENNEDY Ian Allister Death notice 30MAY2004 Death late of Laurieton Camden Haven Courier 02JUN2004
            KENNEDY Ian Allister (Kanga) Funeral notice 03JUN2004 Funeral Herald Sun (Melbourne) 01JUN2004
            KENNEDY Ian Allister (Kendy) Death notice 30MAY2004 Death Herald Sun (Melbourne) 31MAY2004

Edit: No, just realised that the Ian Alister Kennedy in the OP was still in UK in 1959 so this can't be him in Australia in 1954!
            Last edited by Richard in Perth; 01-03-16, 03:42.

Comment

Ah, found DJ Martin's full name:

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 5 JANUARY, 1940
              King's Own R.
              David Jullion MARTIN (112896).

England & Wales deaths 1837-2007
              First name(s) DAVID JULLION
              Last name MARTIN
              Gender Male
              Birth day 2
              Birth month 10
              Birth year 1920
              Age -
              Death quarter 3
              Death year 1992
              District LANCASTER
              Register number 792
              County Lancashire
              Volume 40
              Page 1347
              Last edited by Richard in Perth; 01-03-16, 03:58.

Comment

Passenger Lists leaving UK 1890-1960
                First name(s) DAVID JULLION
                Last name MARTIN
                Title MSTR
                Gender Male
                Age 3
                Birth year 1920
                Departure year 1923
                Departure day 13
                Departure month 10
                Departure port LIVERPOOL
                Destination port SHANGHAI
                Destination SHANGHAI
                Country CHINA
                Destination country CHINA
                Ship name SARPEDON
                Ship official number 147214
                Ship master's first name J N
                Ship master's last name WILLIAMSON
                Shipping line OCEAN STEAM SHIP CO LTD
                City LIVERPOOL
                Ship destination port CHINA
                Ship destination country CHINA
                Ship registered tonnage 6921
                Number of passengers 151

Comment

MARTIN, David Jullion of Fern Cott Burton Rd Holme Cum died 4 July 1992 Probate Newcastle-upon-Tyne 7 October £38695.

Comment

From the passenger list in 1923, David Jullion Martin's parents were Reginald Meyrick Jullion Martin and Florence Kathleen Martin. Reginald was Asst Commissioner of Police and aged 36, so born c1887. Their UK address was c/o Jno Powell, Woodland Lodge, Weston-Super-Mare.

Births Jun 1887
                    Martin Reginald Meyrick J Colchester 4a [56]138

Marriages Jun 1919
                    Martin Reginald M J Powell Cardiff 11a 887
                    Powell Florence K Martin Cardiff 11a 887

David Jullion's birth doesn't appear to be registered in Eng/Wales. In fact, this could be him in Shanghai:

GRO Consular Birth Indices (1849 to 1965)
                    First name(s) DAVID J
                    Last name MARTIN
                    Birth year 1916-20
                    Place SHANGHAI
                    Country CHINA
                    Volume 14
                    Page 740

Comment

POSS:

Comment

Ian Alister Kennedy was also known as Alastair Ian Kennedy (same service number):

INTELLIGENCE CORPS
                        Alastair Ian KENNEDY (459280).

Reference: WO 373/175/374
                        Description:
                        Name Kennedy, Alastair Ian
                        Service No: 459280
                        Regiment: Intelligence Corps
                        Theatre of Combat or Operation: New Year Honours
                        Award: Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire
                        Date of announcement in London Gazette: 01 January 1975

Births Jun 1938
                        Kennedy Alastair I Pearks Rochford 4a 1147
                        Last edited by Richard in Perth; 01-03-16, 05:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard in Perth View Post
                          Edit to remove names of executors as they are probably still living (to see them, click on link to the Gazette notice). Sorry can't edit previous post so mods will have to do that one!

The female executor was born a Marsden in 1971 so maybe she was a niece - implying that William & Mary perhaps didn't have surviving children of their own?
                          I've removed them.
                          Caroline
                          Caroline's Family History Pages
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thank you, Caroline.

It was only after I got to bed that I suddenly thought that I should have reminded people of our obligation to respect the privacy of potentially living names. These reuniting-projects generate such enthusiasm, that it's easy to forget that sort of detail if the info comes from somewhere public.

C
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you very much for your help. I've passed on the information to Lostbox for them to act on - being careful to credit FTF researchers - though it seems to be mainly Richard in Perth.

The recent Lost Cousins newsletter picked up on another Companies House resource which could be useful: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/
                              It allows you to search by Company name, Officer name, or Disqualifications.

C

Comment

This is absolutely fascinating! I am WK Bazett’s daughter.He was also in the Kings Own Border regiment. He never actually was a Lieutenant Colonel but was a major (although he may have well been an acting one) I am aware that he was around headquarters (Barnard Castle on and off until 1962 so the medals are likely to have been dropped either in the early to mid fifties or 1961 and 1959-1062 or 1962-1963. My parents sadly died a day apart due to Alzheimer’s. I was born abroad which may explain the difficulty in tracing me. I would love to have his dog tag returned.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarah Bazett View Post
                                  This is absolutely fascinating! I am WK Bazett’s daughter.He was also in the Kings Own Border regiment. He never actually was a Lieutenant Colonel but was a major (although he may have well been an acting one) I am aware that he was around headquarters (Barnard Castle on and off until 1962 so the medals are likely to have been dropped either in the early to mid fifties or 1961 and 1959-1062 or 1962-1963. My parents sadly died a day apart due to Alzheimer’s. I was born abroad which may explain the difficulty in tracing me. I would love to have his dog tag returned.
                                  That must have been a surprise - did you find this thread through Google?

Christine still visits regularly as does Richard, so a PM would reach either or both of them.
                                  Caroline
                                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Wow! Brilliant work folks. Delightful that a member of one of the families has joined. Welcome Sarah :D

Comment

thank you! Yes through Google! I was idly looking on the internet and this thread came up. It’s particularly fascinating as I also have no idea as to why all the dog tags were dropped together in that location! Another interesting thing to investigate!

Comment

Working...
                                      X