Help with a death certificate please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a death certificate please

My friend sent of for a death certificate and has a note back saying no one of that name and death date.

It's a very unusual name and only one birth and death in that name in the whole country.

Looked on both FMP and Ancestry and they both give the same information re ordering the cert.

Any got any ideas?

Thanks

Linda

Did she apply to the GRO and if so what actual facts did she put on the request? it has to be whats registered.

Comment

You need to check the image of the index to make sure you are asking the right question. Even if it looks wrong in the index its best to copy what is there. Did she tick the box to say 'have the GRO reference'?
      Anne

Comment

Funnily enough I had exactly the same response to a death cert order I put in last month and yes I had checked the original scan of the GRO reference.
        I have found my lady's will online and this gives the exact date and place of death on the probate record, so I am hoping the district office may be able to help. I keep meaning to ring them.
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Thanks everyone, Yes she gave all the correct information and the GRO index.

Comment

If she put in a name and the spelling on the cert doesn't match exactly, that can cause a problem. (e.g surname Mumby but indexed and so ordered as MuNby - presumably unless someone discovers and queries such an entry, the index error will remain.)
            Jay
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 24-02-16, 19:30.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I just had a look and the age of the person isn't given just date of birth and death? am I right in thinking you have to give the age if death is registered within the last 50 years still I know you did have to.
              Last edited by Guest; 24-02-16, 20:24.

Comment

funny they give the age on Ancestry but not FMP

Comment

What year are we talking about?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Loopy Linda in La La Land View Post
                      My friend sent of for a death certificate and has a note back saying no one of that name and death date.

It's a very unusual name and only one birth and death in that name in the whole country.

Looked on both FMP and Ancestry and they both give the same information re ordering the cert.

Any got any ideas?

Thanks

Linda
                      It looks as though that entry did not reach GRO and so you need to apply to the Register Office concerned. It's not usual to find records missed at GRO as they were only copied from local registers and clerical error creeps in!
                      Margaret

Comment

Working...
                      X