Deciphering 1841 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciphering 1841 census

Can anyone work out the occupations please, and the address, as well as where the household starts? It is a household that appears to have several unrelated people in it, but I am interested in the person on the 12th line on the right hand page, Elizabeth Barrett. Could it be a boarding house, or something else?

Reference in case the link doesn't work for everyone:-
    HO107; Piece: 657; Book: 6; Civil Parish: Hendon; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 3; Folio: 40; Page: 18; Line: 12; GSU roll: 438774
    Last edited by PeteW1959; 23-02-16, 08:16.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

It's Highwood House at Highwood Hill. This is a link to it -
    Highwood Hill (formerly simply Highwood), in the London Borough of Barnet, is the classy northern corner of Mill Hill, with a wealth of historic buildings.

p.s. This isn't the actual house by the way - just a link that might help

and map (you can see the Rising Sun pub too) - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...8dBEcQ8gEIGzAA
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 23-02-16, 08:34.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

It is Highwood Hill, an old area in Hendon.

The household appears to start on line 3 of the right hand page with Frances Howard (Occupation - Ind = Independent Means) and her four children and runs three quarters down the page. The household seems to consist of the family plus a governess and a number of male and female servants.

Elizabeth Barrett = F.S (Female Servant)
      Last edited by AntonyM; 23-02-16, 08:44.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for the delay (ended up having to go away for work).

This info is both helpful, and not helpful!

Elizabeth Barrett is a fairly common name in London, and I have been trying to eliminate some of them from the list of possibles. The problem is she is referred to as Elizabeth Catherine at baptism (1824), marriage (1845), birth of her son (1849, my 2x ggf) and death (1850), but there is no Elizabeth with her family in 1841, although there is Catherine who doesn't appear in any other records; her age is 15, as is her sister, but that could be anything between 15 and 19.

I have assumed that Elizabeth Catherine and Catherine are one and the same person, but just in case wanted to run through all the other possibilities. This one has the correct year and county of birth, but the limited info on the 1841 doesn't confirm or eliminate her!
        Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
        Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
        Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
        Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
        Devine in Ireland

Comment

I sympathise, Pete.

My 2 x GGM was called Jane Holden. I have found one possible candidate who might fit BUT her age in 1841 is given as "not known". So frustrating - couldn't they have hazarded a wild guess? I mean - was she a babe in arms or a very old woman?

OC

Comment

Working...
          X