Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry; really ridiculous tree

Just had to share this!

Looking at my Barratts (aka Barretts) I have some parts of my tree I am really not sure about. A lot of similar names with similar dates of birth in East London. Whilst I have been looking at records on Ancestry, I have seen a lot with corrections attached to them that would make my tree very wrong and I had started to doubt my research. I have traced most of the corrections back to this very wrong tree. It looks like the tree owner has attached every Barratt she could find!

Henry John Barratt 1819-1886, born and died in Staffordshire and had 3 wives.

The first, Marina Johnson 1821-1891, he had 44 (that isn't a typo!) children with from 1828 to 1870. These included my Barratts who were all born in London as well as some from all over the UK

The second, Elizabeth Barratt 1816-1883 he had 8 children with from 1846 to 1860

Finally Unknown who he had 3 with from 1849 to 1862.

He also appears (according to this tree owner) on 7 1851 censuses, 8 1861 censuses, 6 1871 censuses, 4 1881 censuses, as well as appearing on the 1891 and 1901 after he died!

Also there are 65,588 people in this tree
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Oh, I love these closely researched trees!

I've told this tale before, but when I was new to the internet (but not new to FH research) I tumbled over a tree which had my 3 x GGM on it. I was so excited and started to copy everything bit by bit - fortunately I didn't then know how to cut and paste!

My 3 x GGM had 44 children, five of them after she died aged 69. This agile woman emigrated to the US and went on the Mormon Trek to Utah. On the way she had many children including the ancestor of Elvis Presley. She also married twice on the trek. She found time to nip back to Lancashire though, and gave her long-suffering husband quite a few more children including twins born three days apart. She got up from childbed after delivering the first twin and walked six miles to have him baptised, then (presumably) went home, lay down and had the second twin. She walked 12 miles in the other direction in order to have him baptised.

I was later told at the LDS FHC that Mormons are required to name and baptise four generations of their ancestors. If they cannot determine who their ancestors are, then they should include those with the same name, as God will know who they are.

That might explain some of the dafter trees....but how does it explain 69 year old women giving birth after death!

OC
    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 22-02-16, 19:06.

Comment

As I said before OC you really must write a book I'd definitely buy it, its the way you tell em
      Years ago I had contact with a fellow who I stupidly gave access to my tree he not only copied all of it to his without checking any of it he upset a few of my rellies who wanted him to take it back off ,but he wouldn't ,he at that time had so many hundreds of thousands names in his tree I should have suspected.
      Pete I have found people marrying off brothers to sisters etc ,and when I tell them they dont believe me.
      Last edited by Guest; 22-02-16, 19:21.

Comment

There are certainly some "interesting" Trees on ancestry - almost "if it doesn't fit, make it fit"! It is called being "creative" I suspect.
        When Ancestry changed, my membership was about to expire and I didn't renew it and have done virtually no research since. I did decide, however, to start putting the main line on FSOrg ............. bad mistake - they appoint someone to "help" you with your Tree! Actually, they take over your Tree - fortunately I haven't put very much on there - looked at it the other day and my long time brick wall obviously puzzled them also - I notice they have altered the Tree and the chap I cannot find is now the older brother of his large family!! There is nothing on there to prove this other than Lincs - odd that, I went to Stamford and got the original entry of the oldest son's birth and now the oldest son is his father's brother ..................speechless! I really can't see the point of doing a Tree that is totally unproven to the owner -I shan't be doing any more on FSOrg.
        Last edited by Sue1; 23-02-16, 12:25.

Comment

Yes, I did mention previously that trees on FamilySearch are supposed to be collaborative. ie anyone cane edit it!! I don't think its FamilySearch themselves but members who may or may not share part of your tree. Apparently the idea is to create one correct tree. Some chance!

I have no objection whatever to people using my tree to add people to their own. I don't even mind if they get it wrong, like the example above. The point is that MY TREES stay just as I made them (right or wrong). It is fairly easy to spot the very wrong ones (as above) or the ones with no research (no sources added, or the only sources are other peoples trees).

Comment

And, reading all of the above makes me thankful that I never gave Ancestry access to my tree otherwise I am sure I would have finished up in the same boat, like ancestors who

were married and had children when they were over 100 years of age in the 1400-1500's. I reckon a lot of these folk collect names like others collect bus tickets.:(
            Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

it also happens in the UK

I think I've told this story before ..............

A second cousin set up a One Name Study of our mutual name. Ancestors are found all over the world, including Australia and the US. Family Search and ancestry have some wild and wonderful relationships as our ancestors liked to use and re-use the same christian names.

He organised a worldwide convention in the UK sometime around 1998/1999 and produced a CD of the ancestral tree .......... cousins in Australia found out about the meeting, and obtained the CD by means unknown to me. The husband of one then found a means of cracking the password to open it.

They gave me a copy when I was visiting them in 2000 ........ the first I knew about all this.

Hmmmmmmmmm

my father was nowhere to be seen.

My mother was apparently married to my brother, and I was the result of that union.

He had the birth dates correct, but the fact that "husband" was only 10 years old, while "wife" was 36 didn't seem to have caused him any concern :D

He deleted the ONS ............ that's another story ........... but an American marry-in has taken over trying to get the tree as full as possible. I've been in contact with her, and she now has my parents correct in everything she does or passes on to others.

But I have no idea how many people got this CD, or have since copied the information.
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Just hard luck for those who don't engage brain! Any serious researcher can see these basic errors. The rest don't really care about anything except having a huge selection of names and do not need to be taken any notice of! You can't force people to see sense and why bother if they are not interested enough to try and get it as right as they can?
                Anne

Comment

Is there a connection (direct connection) that I don't know about between Ancestry and FSOrg. I didn't use my current name on the FSOrg Tree - I used pre-adoption name - the line I was copying over to FSOrg is that line anyway.
                  FS told me I had not put my correct name on there and proceeded to tell me what it should be as it is on my ancestry Tree, what my current name is and that the name I had used was my pre-adoption name (this is a private Tree on ancestry!)
                  They also said my husband's surname was NOT in their Tree and quoted what it was .............. incandescent is probably the word to describe me! I explained that my husband did not want his name on the Tree - it is HIS name and whilst I share it, it is an invasion of privacy on their part to demand that my husband is put on the Tree and I have no intention of putting him on......................it was almost as though I was depriving them of some vital knowledge (which they already appeared to have). I actually thought it was my Tree! They gave up!
                  Last edited by Sue1; 24-02-16, 12:11.

Comment

well, ancestry was based in Utah ............. Provo, I believe.

I found this by googling ...........

------
                    All LDS Members, Including Youth, Can Now Get Free Access to FamilySearch Partner Websites

All members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as well as LDS youth ages 13-17, can now create their own personal accounts with Ancestry.com, findmypast, and MyHeritage.

These resources are helping Church members find more ancestors needing temple ordinances.

------

so there is some sort of connection
                    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                      All LDS Members, Including Youth, Can Now Get Free Access to FamilySearch Partner Websites

All members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as well as LDS youth ages 13-17, can now create their own personal accounts with Ancestry.com, findmypast, and MyHeritage.
                      LDS friends have told me that a swap was made between FamilySearch and the three databases: in exchange for the transcripts of the records that FamilySearch has, church members now have access to the three sites.

Comment

Ancestry was/is the commercial arm of the LDS church. For accounting purposes they are kept scrupulously separate - the LDS church is a registered charity, Ancestry is a profit-making company. Senior members of the LDS church were/are senior members of the board of Ancestry.

It does say on Ancestry, as it does on many other commrcial websites including, for example, GR, that any material you put on their site belongs TO THEM and they can do what they like with it. One reason why I have never put anything other than a skeleton tree on either site.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          Ancestry was/is the commercial arm of the LDS church. For accounting purposes they are kept scrupulously separate - the LDS church is a registered charity, Ancestry is a profit-making company. Senior members of the LDS church were/are senior members of the board of Ancestry.

It does say on Ancestry, as it does on many other commrcial websites including, for example, GR, that any material you put on their site belongs TO THEM and they can do what they like with it. One reason why I have never put anything other than a skeleton tree on either site.

OC
                          Ancestry Inc. was founded by John Sittner in 1983 while working on a book the Source (editors Arlene Eakle and Johni Cerni), a guide book of American genealogy.

John Sittner owned Ancestry Inc. until 1997 when he sold to Western Standard Publishing.
                          In 1998 Western Standard Publishing launched Ancestry.com website which included their other websites MyFamily.com and FamilyHistory.com.
                          Further expansion and acquisitions saw a rename of the group to The Generations Network.

While it is true to say John Sittner is/was a Mormon, that does not mean Ancestry.com was a wing of the Mormon Church.

Cheers
                          Guy
                          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Guy

You can interpret the facts as you wish. There is no getting away from the fact that the LDS church and Ancestry have a special relationship and that many of the senior members of the church are involved with Ancestry.

I am not suggesting they are doing anything wrong. It's just fact.

OC

Comment

My bf emigrated to the USA and died aged 6 according to one tree hint I saw lol.

I wrongly followed a path which I later found was incorrect and then someone else did the same so I told them. They amended their tree slightly but still left them attached to parents where there's no proof - just two families with the same name in the town born in Ireland???!!!!! As my tree is a private one then anyone looking is likely to copy the public tree.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

How do I join the Mormons???? It will avoid me having to pay for the new Ancestry! Since they are so Godly where is the reduction for OAPs?
                                Sue - [Disclaimer: no offence intended to anyone who is Mormon]
                                Last edited by Sue1; 25-02-16, 12:08.

Comment

Supposed by giving it free to libraries they've covered that Sue lol. Also their Family History Centres!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Had forgotten about that JBee - actually it is not full access in the library, just first line stuff as far as I remember. I suppose if they gave complete access to all they have online bigger libraries would have to be built, more staff employed and more computers installed!!! Not sure what access is given at their Centres - the nearest to me is in Kings Lynn - it doesn't answer its phone and it is never open - I have gone to the premises a few times. No idea where the next nearest one would be - maybe Huntingdon - will have a look on their website.
                                    Sue

Comment

Yes there is restricted opening at the FHC but should be a notice on the door (the one I used has and the lady in charge is really helpful especially to newbies - sometimes there's only been door openers but other clients can be helpful).

Good thing about the FHC is that you can order films in to browse through for 3 months at reasonable cost. You can also search the filing cabinet to see if they have other films that are of interest to you. One time another client and I were searching the same place and were able to share a film.

Comment

Perhaps they don't have the staff to keep the one in Kings Lynn open at the times on the board outside nor to answer the phone (number given on board).
                                        I wish I had realised just how useful these centres could be - I used to live near East Grinstead which is a massive centre - also quite a big one in Crawley - never had the courage to go in and didn't realise about the info they had. Sue

Comment

Working...
                                        X