Glady Rogers or Cheeseman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glady Rogers or Cheeseman

Charles A Cantan married Gladys in Maidstone Q2 1922. But what is her surname? Is one her maiden name and the other a name from a previous marriage? Or is it a recording error?
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

You would need to get the certificate to be sure but I have seen entries like this which do indeed refer to a maiden name and a previously married name. The ones I have seen are often (but not always) as a result of divorce.
    Anne

Comment

Gladys F Cantan born about 1907 - died Jun 1947 - Age at Death 40 - Reg district Tonbridge - County Kent - Vol 5b Page 821

Gladys Frances G Cheeseman was born Dec 1906 - Faversham Ref 2a 965

Marriages Dec 1906
      Cheeseman Clara Sarah R Faversham 2a 1933
      ROGERS Bert Thomas Faversham 2a 1933
      Also on the page
      Lippingwell Elizabeth Faversham 2a 1933 Scan available - click to view
      MILLEN Frederick Richard S J Faversham 2a 1933

A possible explanation.

SORRY - ignore that last bit - Clara married Frederick Millen
      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 22-02-16, 08:59.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

All you can be sure of from the index is that the name space for Gladys on the register entry contains more than one name. This could be because of divorce, being a widow, someone who has changed their name or just an "otherwise known as..." for someone who uses more than one name.

You can sometimes work out the most likely scenario from other index entries , but to be certain you need to look at a certificate.
        Last edited by AntonyM; 22-02-16, 09:09.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Yes, sorry Anthony, I know you are right. Sometimes we just can't resist though.

Comment

If Gladys is the right one who died in 1947 & born c1907 she would only have been 15 when she married so hardly likely to have previously married & then divorced. There were 2 births reg at Maidstone, one in 1927 mmn Cheeseman & the other in 1929, surname given as CantOn mmn Rogers which doesn't help at all.
            Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
              Yes, sorry Anthony, I know you are right. Sometimes we just can't resist though.
              Wasn't criticising ... just pointing our the possibilities.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks all. Gladys is too remotely related (wife of 4th cousin) to be worth the cost of a certificate, but I think Chrissie is right. Gladys was born 21.10.1906 (1939 Reg) a couple of months before the marriage of her putative mother was registered, so plenty of scope for the marriage to have taken place after the birth of Gladys. If this is right she might have always been known as Rogers but had Cheeseman on her birth certificate.
                Last edited by webwiz; 22-02-16, 11:56.

Comment

You did notice that I had added to ignore the marriage though didn't you? The Clara Cheeseman married Frederick Millen.

Comment

You are right. Gladys was probably born with one name, perhaps illegitimate, and brought up with the other. But I can't work out the details.

Comment

Working...
                    X