Name query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name query

Do you think Nellie and Lily could be one and the same person?

Hi, Nellie is a family name for me with "Nellie" being the actual name on the birth certs.
    Most commonly Nellie is used for - Helen, Ellen, Eleanor.
    However, it is one of these pet names that I think I wouldn't be surprised to see used for any female name.
    Sorry if that isn't much help.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Agree with Herky, there's no telling how families use names. My brother calls me Cissie - nothing like my real name but it was his childish attempt at Sister, which stuck! I can imagine a small child trying to say Nellie, and uttering Lilly.

Sorry, not much help!

OC

Comment

By the way I didn't mean it was my name but a name in my family further back.
        Funny how when you re-read something it sounds different from what you meant to say.:o

Originally posted by herky View Post
        Hi, Nellie is a family name for me with "Nellie" being the actual name on the birth certs.
        Most commonly Nellie is used for - Helen, Ellen, Eleanor.
        However, it is one of these pet names that I think I wouldn't be surprised to see used for any female name.
        Sorry if that isn't much help.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. It must be transcription error!

Comment

Working...
          X